Table for 2.... Rude or not??

Hoof Hearted

On 6/22/2019 at 10:24 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Exactly why She Who Must Be Obeyed and I always book anytime and request a table for two.  If we end up next to a large table of drunks or feral children, we can easily adjust our time and location for a more pleasant experience.

They only time it didn't work was our first cruise with another couple who didn't want to try anytime.  We ended up next to a table of six drunks who shouted and cackled their way through every meal.

They next cruise with them they were all about anytime and finding the ideal location.

Not sure how to label the phenomenon, but in the last 10-15 years, land and sea,  it seems that more and more people shout during their meals.

Drunks and feral children? People shouting and cackling their way through every meal?  On HAL??  My goodness. Guess I've been very lucky.

As to noise levels, they have definitely increased in restaurants because they are fitting more people into less space as passenger levels on ships grow. And there are fewer soft furnishings to keep down noise levels. So yes, people are probably talking louder in order to be heard...

My thoughts are simply this: by this stage in life most people know what they like and enjoy. Why give anyone else a hard time for their choice as long as it isn't inconveniencing anyone else?

If someone is on the fence, I do often recommend that they at least try dining with others. I think there are a lot of somewhat exaggerated stories here on CC that scare others off from even trying it. However, if you know it's not for you, then by all means choose what suits you. I think it's great that cruise lines offer choices that can accommodate most.

• Like 1

I suspect that it comes down to the same old, same old.  Some people feel that the way that they travel, dress, eat, live, etc is the way everyone else should do it.  They are either so stuck in their ways or so narrow minded that they cannot envisage anything else as reasonable or acceptable.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Not rude at all. We started requesting a table for 2 over 20 years ago, we just enjoy conversing with each other at dinner as we spend very little time together during the day, I like being outside on the promenade deck with a good book while my DW doesn't care for the heat and spends time meeting people up in the Crows Nest while doing her needle point. We do have breakfast and lunch together in the Lido and then go our separate ways. 

On 6/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Exactly why She Who Must Be Obeyed and I always book anytime and request a table for two.  If we end up next to a large table of drunks or feral children, we can easily adjust our time and location for a more pleasant experience.

I haven’t had any of those issues but I have been near a table of 6 with a very loud woman who loved abusing the staff.  She was very abusive and frankly, I couldn’t stand it.  Couldn’t hear DH.  We had fixed dining and our Assistant Dining Room Manager moved us to a table where we would not have to listen or hear it.  I waited 3 nights as she was so unhappy, I figured they would opt for any time or eat elsewhere but sadly for the stewards and staff, they ate there every night 😞 

Wo even with fixed, you can change your table 😉. After the “impossible to please” group at that table had left the cruise (they were off on the 1st segment) we were moved back to our original table.

2 hours ago, iancal said:

I do not understand why requesting a table for two would be considered rude by anyone.

There was recently a thread like this on another board, and there are some posters who actually called people names who request tables for 2.  They called them anti-social, accused them of being of the smart-phone generation therefore unable to talk to others, etc.  It was bizarre.  All because some people had a different dining preference than them.  

To answer the OP, heck no it's not rude.  Personally, after a whole day of being social whether its in ports, by the pool, in the lounges, etc, I prefer to spend dinner time with just my wife.  If others think that's rude or weird, to heck with them.  

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

My thoughts are simply this: by this stage in life most people know what they like and enjoy. Why give anyone else a hard time for their choice as long as it isn't inconveniencing anyone else?

If someone is on the fence, I do often recommend that they at least try dining with others. I think there are a lot of somewhat exaggerated stories here on CC that scare others off from even trying it. However, if you know it's not for you, then by all means choose what suits you. I think it's great that cruise lines offer choices that can accommodate most.

And, from Aquahound:

There was recently a thread like this on another board, and there are some posters who actually called people names who request tables for 2.  They called them anti-social, accused them of being of the smart-phone generation therefore unable to talk to others, etc.  It was bizarre.  All because some people had a different dining preference than them.  

To answer the OP, heck no it's not rude.  Personally, after a whole day of being social whether its in ports, by the pool, in the lounges, etc, I prefer to spend dinner time with just my wife.  If others think that's rude or weird, to heck with them.  

Thank you!  

My story of why I dine solo is not an exaggeration.  I got those "brave" comments each night the first time I tried a larger table for a cruise, my first step out after a horrible divorce.  I decided I'd just rather dine solo after that.  I don't feel that I've missed out on anything by doing so.  I spend all evening at the hotel exchanging banter with my guests.  To do the same on my vacations would be like a "busman's holiday" to me.  Not having to chatter for even a few hours a day is a welcome respite for me.   I'm not anti-social, I'm an old woman that is the only one who isn't wedded to their smart-phone at work, not mentally defective...   I just enjoy my peace and quiet on vacation.  I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys large tables and engaging in conversation on vacation, so please don't begrudge those of use who enjoy the quiet alone or an intimate time with SOs.   If everyone wanted to do the same thing, the World would be a most boring place.

My DH and I always request a table for two when we choose the MDR whether it is for breakfast,lunch or dinner.

We learned long ago to avoid sitting at a large table with unfamiliar people. Dining with people who persist in political conversations, who imbibe in too many cocktails, who are disrespectful to the waitstaff,who find much to complain about are not the meal time companions we would choose in any restaurant.

At least with a table for two, each of us knows  who our dining companion will be. 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

My DH and I always request a table for two when we choose the MDR whether it is for breakfast,lunch or dinner.

We learned long ago to avoid sitting at a large table with unfamiliar people. Dining with people who persist in political conversations, who imbibe in too many cocktails, who are disrespectful to the waitstaff,who find much to complain about are not the meal time companions we would choose in any restaurant.

At least with a table for two, each of us knows  who our dining companion will be. 😉

And there are also some who are interesting, well-traveled, witty, and fun.

• Like 1

True,cruisemom42-

Unfortunately, that has not been our experience with large table seating.

However, we fondly remember a couple from Scotland that we shared  tea time with on the QE2. Lovely people.

At this stage of our cruising time, we do not relish making small talk or trying to cope with various personalities during meals.

We,as others have posted, enjoy a calm meal with our own company.

9 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

True,cruisemom42-

However, we fondly remember a couple from Scotland that we shared  tea time with on the QE2. Lovely people.

At this stage of our cruising time, we do not relish making small talk or trying to cope with various personalities during meals.

Understood. Since I travel alone and enjoy sharing dinner conversations with others, I will continue being optimistic. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

True,cruisemom42-

On Cunard, there's a culture of sharing tables that I haven't found elsewhere. It's not uncommon to share a table at tea or at the buffet or in a lounge. The only time someone says no to "may I join you?" is if the empty seat is if they have someone joining them. My Alaska cruise this summer was on Queen Elizabeth. I had interesting companions for lunch on several occasions because the buffet was busy and the only available seats were at partially occupied tables. On HAL, people avoid looking up as if meeting your eyes means they have to say "yes" when you ask to sit with them.  

In general, I think people who opt for a large table at dinner are people who do want to interact with others. We choose to be optimistic, as Cruisemom said. If people don't want that experience and prefer to eat alone, that isn't rude. 

I used to do tables of 6 or 8 and we always had interesting companions.

Now we normally do a table for 2.  Why?  Because we are pretty social all cruise - we do a lot of touring with others and social activities on board.

We enjoy mingling during the day but by the time evening falls, it’s nice to have a bit of time alone or, alternatively dine with people whose company we know we enjoy.

We’re not snobs, we just like to have a nice dinner together and often the table for two next to us is one we can meet if they are so inclined.  If we are lucky to have some friends on board that like the same dining time and know us, that’s great, too.

then we just have lovely dinner conversations without doing the same old, same old, “where are you from, what do you do for a living, how many cruises have you been on, etc.”  

both choices have worked well for us.  It just depends on what appeals to you each cruise.

• Like 3

3rdGenCunarder-

We have experienced sharing tables at the buffet on various Princess ships and have enjoyed the company.

One time, I shared a small table in the atrium,the Piazza, with another lady to view the fashion show that was presented there. Seating was limited,so sharing was the thing to do.

I think the difference for us is that in a buffet situation,the time we are at the table is relatively brief unlike the timing for meals in the MDR.

I also agree with kazu’s post.

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

You hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1