Rhapsody vs Explorer Greek Isles

Looking at possibly doing the Greek Isles fall of 2020...looking for opinions on Rhapsody vs. Explorer for this. 

We were on Rhapsody for an Alaskan cruise in 2015 and at that time, she needed some TLC which I believe she got some of in 2016, but see Explorer is getting a refurbishment in March/April 2020.....I cannot find anything on any kind of "refresher" for Rhapsody coming up.  

Looking for opinions regarding the ships in regards to sailing the Greek Isles from anyone who has actually sailed on them over there.  We are in Florida, so the Caribbean is our usual sailing grounds, so thanks for your opinions about the Greek Isles area and the ships!

Thanks!

You cannot go wrong with either, but I would prefer Rhapsody for the covered Solarium and Park Cafe.

By the way, your font color makes your post extremely difficult to read.

We're doing the Explorer Greek Isles cruise in Aug 2020...not because of the ship but because of the itinerary.  We'll only have 2 sea days over the 9 day cruise and plan to spend long days in port.  I do prefer bigger ships though so all things being equal, would choose Explorer over Rhapsody.  A lot of people here (like Bob 😀) would say just the opposite.  Full disclosure...I've been on Explorer but not Rhapsody so I can't make a fair comparison. 

2 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Will the explorer have gone through dry dock by next year?  I love its itinerary but the picture someone posted recently is a bit of a turn off.  I do want to see santorini and Mykonos.   

Explorer is scheduled to come out of dry dock in April 2020.

Rhapsody gets my vote because it includes Venice! Also like the small vision class ships.

Have you also considered the 12 night on Jewel out of Barcelona that goes to Santorini, Mykonos and Athens as well as some of the bigger ports for Rome and Florence? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

Rhapsody gets my vote because it includes Venice! Also like the small vision class ships.

Have you also considered the 12 night on Jewel out of Barcelona that goes to Santorini, Mykonos and Athens as well as some of the bigger ports for Rome and Florence? 

Hmmmm...some good food for thought!  Thanks!

5 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

Rhapsody gets my vote because it includes Venice! ...

This is a big deal because I suspect that at some point in the near future there will be significant restrictions put on cruise ship visits to Venice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

I agree.  We love the Rhapsody:  did 3/4 around Australia on her 10 years ago, were on her in March 2018 (she looked great!!), and we are booked on her for next year, too.

We've done Oasis, Allure, Explorer, Adventure, and Mariner, but my best memories are on the Rhapsody.

I think your recommendation of the Jewel is spot-on.  We were on her from San Diego all the way through the Panama Canal, Transatlantic to Rome, and then the Greek Isles, Croatia, and Montenegro.  Loooove that ship.  I don't think the Explorer could get through to Kotor, Montenegro, which was an amazing city and sail away:  one of the best sail aways I've ever seen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

Keep in mind that in a month (a year....10 years) you will never ever remember the exact stateroom you stayed in, or what meal you had on the 3rd night, or the name of your stateroom attendant... but you will remember standing at the Acropolis, walking through Oia, and your magical sail away from Venice for a lifetime. Your decision is not about the ship... it's about what you want to see and experience. Choose your itinerary first.

+1 Rhapsody for me as well ... lots of glass and outward focus (Explorer is extremely inward focus), better site lines for views on top deck, and specifically a b2b for 14 days on Rhapsody vs. Explorer's 8 or 9 day sailings (the two b2b 7 day itineraries are different & include iconic must sees Dubrovnik, Split and Kotor).

Fly to Rome for 3 days on land, fast train up to Venice for night... get on the ship in the morning.

13 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

You mean Vision. Yes great itineraries, some of them overnight in Venice but do not hit Greece, and vice versa. Personally I would do Vision over Explorer as well, even without Venice in the mix on the Greek itinerary.

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

This is a big deal because I suspect that at some point in the near future there will be significant restrictions put on cruise ship visits to Venice.

+1.  Another extremely strong reason to do Rhapsody... for those who have done in sailing in/out of Venice is probably in the top 3 for a majority of cruiser's favorite cruise experiences in their lifetimes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

You mean Vision. Yes great itineraries, some of them overnight in Venice but do not hit Greece, and vice versa. Personally I would do Vision over Explorer as well, even without Venice in the mix on the Greek itinerary.

Nope, I mean Jewel. Vision leaves Barcelona on the 5th September on the transatlantic back to the U.S. and Jewel moves over to Barcelona from Copenhagen to cover for the rest of the season doing the 2 itineraries.

We did the Vision cruise last year that included the Venice overnight. Have been lucky enough to have sailed in/out Venice a few times but as Bob says, future chances may be scarce or non existent to sail up the Giudecca, especially if M.S.C. decide to have another accident.

We are going back in the fall 2020 to do Allure for 7 nights and then jumping on to Jewel straight after to do the Greek itinerary and our first "side by side" cruise. { also our D+ cruise!}

Santorini and Mykonos are both excellent and make this an easy choice for us.  

On a personal note, I would always choose Barcelona over Rome as a starting point if the ports of call were similar as the port is in the city and very easy to get to whereas you've got an hour {at least} to get to Civitavecchia from Rome. The airport at Barcelona is also a short/cheap bus ride into the city and runs every 15 mins. 

Whatever you decide to choose  I'm sure you'll have a great time!       

24 minutes ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

Nope, I mean Jewel. Vision leaves Barcelona on the 5th September on the transatlantic back to the U.S. and Jewel moves over to Barcelona from Copenhagen to cover for the rest of the season doing the 2 itineraries.

Ah yes! Ok... gotcha.... and further I would pick a Radiance Class ship any day of the week over any other class for the Med.

Those two 12 day itineraries are great and on the best RCL ship for the Med.