Chops or Jamie’s?

We REALLY didn't like the food at Jamie's and sitting on metal chairs was most uncomfortable. Chops is quieter and more for an anniversary dinner. Chef's Table you would be at a group table, so for me, that doesn't scream anniversary.

7 hours ago, bfloluci2 said:

The ship we will be on is the Anthem of the Seas...this fall

On Anthem they couldn't fill seating so they were going around in the Royal Esplanade soliciting Jamies.  I asked if they were offering a discount and was told 25% off. 

We only had intended to go to Wonderland but my son who was on Anthem for the second time showed interest in Jamies so we booked it. What I liked about it was they brought out all of the appetizers so the table could sample and all of the deserts to sample. My wife and son couldn't decide between two pasta dishes so the waiter suggested 1/2 orders of each. The two 1/2 orders each looked like 4 full orders to me. I ordered the lamb chops which were very good. I wish they would have had a veal dish but I did enjoy the lamb chops. Of course my wife and son knew that they couldn't finish their 4 bowls of pasta with 4 different sauces so I took a sample of each and they were all good. The fresh pasta wasn't any better than the fresh pasta you buy in the refrigerator section of the supermarket but it was a lot better than Ronzoni. We are Italian so we know our way around pasta.

The Jamies waiter approached my son and wife on the second to last day of the cruise and offered them 30% for myself and my son and 40% off for my wife since she was celebrating her birthday on the cruise.we declined the offer.  I think Chops is pretty popular so I'm not sure they were discounting. I would  pre book chops and watch for a discount on Jamies once you board. You may be able to do both. If someone approaches you to book any of the specialty restaurants  ask for a discount and tell them that you are celebrating an occasion.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:52 PM, Akaicb said:

I know a couple of years ago you could pay a lower fee to not have the wine.  I'm not sure of how much less it was but it was an option.  It was something you had to adjust once you were on board if I recall.  

I didn't know that was a possibility.  Thank you for that info !   🙂

On 6/21/2019 at 12:49 PM, grapau27 said:

Chops without a doubt.

Jamie's UK restaurant's are in administration so would question why and how long they will survive.

Screenshot_20190621-174549.jpg

This doesn't affect the Jamie's outside of the UK. For now, anyway. 

Anyway, having been to Jamie's in Toronto I can say that it's fine for Italian food, but I've no desire to pay extra for it on a ship. So I'd go with Chops. It's about the equivalent of The Keg here in Canada, so that's not too bad.

We tried Jamie's on the Mariner a few months ago and were greatly disappointed.   We should have known when we walked in and there were only 3/4 occupied tables and the metal chairs reminded my wife of an elementary school.  We have only had great experiences at Chop's and Giovanni's, so we are surprised how disappointed we were.

We also tried Chef's Table for the first time on the Mariner and absolutely loved it.  Everything was first class, from the wine, to the food, and the service.  We will definitely do it again.

Starvenger, while in Toronto recently we decided against going to The Keg, thinking it was sports bar.  A few days later, while in Montreal, we stumbled into The Keg across the street from our hotel, food was very good, and the service was spot on.  Congrats on your Raptors !

It does sound something like a sports bar, doesn't it? I wasn't sure what the US equivalent was - I know the high end and low end places Stateside, but not what's in that middle tier. 

I'll add a positive thing about Jamie's - their "secret seven" red sauce (guess Jamie was a fan of Enid Blyton) is pretty tasty. 

We are all pretty happy for Toronto's first championship since... well, 2 years ago, if you count soccer. 26 years if you don't. Even my non-sports following wife enjoyed watching the games.