Cruise Critic Community
zitsky

Fly early to meet a cruise?

Winter travel in the NE is iffy.

I have had to overnight in Newark, coming back for international travel.  We made it in, but very few flights were going out, and later none coming in.

I have had at least 2 or 3 times, when winter weather prevented me getting in the DC area.  One international, we went to Cleveland and over nighted. The other, I was coming from Orlando.  I was booked out the next morning, but others, without status on the airline, were stuck in Orlando for 2 - 3 days.

I flew out of EWR last Saturday on my way to LHR. Flight was scheduled to leave 9 pm. We got to the about 4 pm, but a flight coming in from Denver had an emergency landing due to flat tires around noon. All flights in & out were stopped for several hours while they evacuated & investigated the accident. Even after the runways were reopened, it caused a snowball effect & our plane didn't leave until 11pm.

Nov. and Dec. is when the East Coast gets most of their winter storms.  I think you're pushing it.  If you can't or won't arrive a day prior, at least take the 1st flight out in the morning...that gives you a little leeway......I wouldn't do it, but I realize that not everyone can take an extra "travel" day.

With an 8:30pm ship departure, I would just book an earlier arriving flight than the 4:30PM one chosen.

I have flown from NY, mostly LGA and JFK to FLL and MIA for perhaps 40 cruises the morning of the cruise with nary an issue or hiccup.

I usually chose one of the earliest departing flights, non stop/direct, mostly with just one piece of carry on luggage.  

I wouldn't do this with a connecting flight or perhaps with checked luggage.  Time of year is inconsequential, there can be spring and summer storms as well as winter ones.

On more than one occasion, I had a confirmed seat departing on a cruise morning, while weather impacted folk on standby from the day before were sweating out whether they could get on the plane I was on and make their cruise, go figure.

Now I do a 2 or 2 and 1/2 hr drive from SWFL to the cruiseport the morning of the sailing.  I'm sure there would be some who would be uncomfortable doing that as well.

We never fly or drive in the same day.  We consider those extra days as part of the vacation and have needed that cushion room multiple times due to unexpected delays almost always caused by mechanical issues in both airplanes and cars.

Call me "Nervous Nellie" but we always arrive at the port the day before even if we're driving. We're driving to Port Canaveral from South Alabama for a cruise next month and I made a hotel reservation the same day we booked the cruise. We are using the hotel's "park, stay, and cruise" package that includes round-trip shuttle service between the hotel and the port. We do a lot of traveling by car and been in too many situations where we sat in traffic for a couple hours due to an accident or some other incident on an interstate.  I would hate to be sitting there worrying about missing my cruise.

4 minutes ago, Helabama said:

Call me "Nervous Nellie" but we always arrive at the port the day before even if we're driving. We're driving to Port Canaveral from South Alabama for a cruise next month and I made a hotel reservation the same day we booked the cruise. We are using the hotel's "park, stay, and cruise" package that includes round-trip shuttle service between the hotel and the port. We do a lot of traveling by car and been in too many situations where we sat in traffic for a couple hours due to an accident or some other incident on an interstate.  I would hate to be sitting there worrying about missing my cruise.

That's totally my mindset.  Prepare for the worst and when/if it doesn't happen, yay.  But when/if it does you're set.

Posted (edited)

6 years ago we flew RDU to SJU on 12/31.  I guess we were lucky!

Edited by zitsky

On 6/22/2019 at 11:53 AM, SRF said:

Week before last I missed a connection through ATL.  Had to stay over 22 hours, as it was a one flight a day connecting flight.

Significant question....was it due to the airport that you missed your connection or a different factor?

Let's get the blame in the proper spot.

39 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Why in this context does it matter?  Also if a flight is delayed or cancelled the airline has no responsibility.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Why in this context does it matter?  Also if a flight is delayed or cancelled the airline has no responsibility.

Because if you are going to disparage connections through a particular airport, it's fair to understand WHY you are coming to that conclusion.  Some issues are airport dependent (such as seasonal weather issues, deicing, runway and gate capacity and more) and some issues are airline dependent.  It's unfair to lump the two together in cases where they are completely separate.

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Because if you are going to disparage connections through a particular airport, it's fair to understand WHY you are coming to that conclusion.  Some issues are airport dependent (such as seasonal weather issues, deicing, runway and gate capacity and more) and some issues are airline dependent.  It's unfair to lump the two together in cases where they are completely separate.

But you still end up missing the cruise regardless of whose fault iti.

DON

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

Perhaps if you are a fatalist that just accepts whatever comes your way.

OTOH, if you are a person who want to make pro-active choices to mitigate against possible issues, you probably should want to know just where the source of those problems comes from.  Not just lump everything into a "ATL/ORD/SFO/whatever sucks" generality.

But then again, that kind of approach requires some analysis, not just knee-jerk assumptions.

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

But if it happened because of heavy snow in Chicago delaying your connecting flight —- when you might as easily have made your December connecting flight plans through Atlanta or Houston it is your fault because you did not think about such implications.

Sometimes keeping your brain turned on when making plans can help.

My blood pressure went up like 20 points just reading the original post and contemplating this 4 hour window.

8 hours ago, GlennaRoseGoes said:

My blood pressure went up like 20 points just reading the original post and contemplating this 4 hour window.

Sorry?!

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 1:48 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Significant question....was it due to the airport that you missed your connection or a different factor?

Plane departing ATL to MSY had a mechanical issue, had to return to the gate, and change crew, pax, and luggage to another plane.

So it arrived late into MSY, so left MSY late, so I missed my flight out of ATL.

Not all delays are weather related.  Since it was mechanical, they paid for the room.

A trip several years ago, BWI - JFK - BRU.  Left the gate on time from BWI, hit a ground hold of 60 minutes (with a 65 minute connection).  Then a longish route and slower speed in flight.  Missed JFK - BRU flight.  Later same trip, flight was delays 23 hours, due to First Officer and a Flight Attendant both injured (separate incidents).  Had to wait for new crew to fly in.  Then had a 3.5 delay in addition for a mechanical issue.  Missed my connection again. 😄

Edited by SRF