Ship on a stick

gizfish

2 minutes ago, gizfish said:

It has been many years since we have cruised on Carnival.  I was wondering do they still award those delightfully tacky ships on sticks?

Just got off a Carnival ship yesterday. They are still giving them out. I have several at home, but didn't pick one up this past trip.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:47 PM, gizfish said:

delightfully tacky ships on sticks?

They are "delightfully tacky"  We love them.  We cruise with the same couple on most of our cruises and we make it a point to "win" them every cruise.

I love getting them, but I did find it funny once that I was walking in IKEA and there was one in a display case. Unfortunately they took the name plate off so we couldn't tell which ship it came from . 

We may have a bit of a trivia addiction (or have found if you slightly know something about a trivia on a port day, no one is there to really compete).   But came off the ship with this.  Daughters think it's hilarious.  

IMG_7860.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, chocolate melting cake said:

As one CD told us, "You're actually receiving four trophies in one! When upright it is the ship whose name appears on the base--hold it at a downward angle and you have a model of the Titanic--held upside down it is now the Poseidon---tip it on its side and it represents the Costa Concordia."

Except for the lost of life on Titanic and Costa Concordia.  This is funny and I get the vein the CD was trying to convey, so chuckled out load when I read your post.

41 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

You may not realize that some folks sell them on ebay!

Some folks collect them as they each have the ship's name on them.

Lots of them for about $20.  Most of them appear to be buy now, not an auction, so no idea of if they are actually selling or not.  Some of the fun squad were pointing out they sell on ebay and laughing at it.

I won mine playing "Battle of the Sexes." I took all those guys out..lol. That same day I was playing Bingo and my name was called out from my submitted raffle ticket. I won $500 off our drink tab. It was a very fun and memorable cruise. Every time I look at that silly ship-on-a-stick, I smile as it brings me right back to that cruise. 🙂

After the first one I won on our last Carnival cruise, I was proudly walking with it held high and a huge smile on my face. A photographer topped me to take a picture. I never saw it in the photo shop, but I would have bought it!

We've only earned medallions on a ribbon on our past couple of cruises - the teens loved to add one to our family collection for each ship we traveled. Perhaps we'll win a "dinghy on a thingy" on our upcoming sailing.  One entertaining CD had a whole list of rhyming nicknames for them!

• Haha 1