Cruise Critic Community
Califaloha

USPS Mail Hold on Cruise over 30 Days

On our last long cruise my dear brother picked up the mail (as authorized on the hold, he needed his ID) and dropped off a new hold request. Next long vacation I will just forward mail to one of my kids. USPS will not forward junk mail or magazines, no loss there.

Posted (edited)

This isn't going to work for everyone, but we have our mail temporarily forwarded to our son's address. Since he lives in the same town it's easy to pick up the mail after vacation is over.

Edited by njhorseman

Posted (edited)

We have gotten to know our mailman very well and are always good to him at Christmas.  We did a 60 day cruise and discussed the situation of the mail with him.  We gave him 2 30 day hold cards with instructions to throw away magazine and junk.  Worked well for us. 

Edited by Ladyinflight

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, Califaloha said:

My husband and I are planning to take a 48 day cruise in 2020.  Our post office will only hold our mail for 30 days.  I have searched for options (PO box, private mail services, etc) and haven’t found a way to handle this without asking friends or neighbors to pick up the mail before 31 days or have the mail delivered to their address.  Any ideas?

Go into your local post office...fill out the yellow card for mail hold and ask to speak to the "Supervisor" he/she will then make arrangements with you to hold your mail longer than the 30 day's noted on the form....Easy to do !!!

I also live in California and verified this alternate arrangement with the post office this morning....no problems.

Edited by Ashland

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Ladyinflight said:

We have gotten to know our mailman very well and are always good to him at Christmas.  We did a 60 day cruise and discussed the situation of the mail with him.  We gave him 2 30 day hold cards with instructions to throw away magazine and junk.  Worked well for us. 

We also know our mail-woman very well after 35 years of delivery...I wouldn't assume to ask her to sort and decide what's junk... also you never know when a substitute might be needed on a delivery route. As I stated above make arrangements directly with your local post office supervisor. Very easy to do.

Edited by Ashland

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ashland said:

We also know our mail-woman very well after 35 years of delivery...I wouldn't assume to ask her to sort and decide what's junk... also you never know when a substitute might be needed on a delivery route. As I stated above make arrangements directly with your local post office supervisor. Very easy to do.

As I stated it worked well for us.  And it was his idea as to how to solve the problem.

Edited by Ladyinflight

I wouldn't want a "friend" to have to pick up my mail daily, but I wouldn't mind asking one to pick it up on a day I'd designate, and ask them to put another "Hold Mail" card into the mailbox.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:03 AM, chengkp75 said:

Yes, this is what I said earlier.  You put in a temporary change of address to USPS for the period of your trip to your mailbox at UPS.  They will do a temporary change for up to a year.  All of your mail is delivered to your box at UPS, not held by the post office.  UPS will hold all mail indefinitely, and when you return, you pick up your mail and cancel the mailbox and the change of address.

Yes, Chief, I did see and I hope reinforce your suggestion. This is our full-time address, but it could be temporary for people who do not travel so long or frequently. It counts as a street address for carriers that need one, and they hold great quantities of mail/shipments for us several times a year!

@Califaloha I have friends that do a lot of traveling overseas. They sometimes don't know how long they will be away from home. There are services that you can use that will come daily, twice a week, etc. to get the mail, water plants, check for leaks, etc. They are licensed, bonded and insured. I think it's housesitters.com. 

On 6/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, Ashland said:

ask to speak to the "Supervisor" he/she will then make arrangements with you to hold your mail longer than the 30 day's noted on the form....Easy to do !!!

Your suggestion is totally dependent on your Branch Office's Postmaster/Postmistress.  My Postmistress is very customer unfriendly.

19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Your suggestion is totally dependent on your Branch Office's Postmaster/Postmistress.  My Postmistress is very customer unfriendly.

That's too bad as this would seem to be (I was told at my branch) an option "USPS" does offer and certainly not based on personality.

Why would the personality of your Postmaster have any bearing on service offered ?

Have you ever "asked" for this service and been denied ?

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

That's too bad as this would seem to be (I was told at my branch) an option "USPS" does offer and certainly not based on personality.

Why would the personality of your Postmaster have any bearing on service offered ?

Have you ever "asked" for this service and been denied ?

Yes, that requested service was denied.

I chatted up the manager at my UPS location about this thread, and she reminded me that UPS does have a minimum rental period of 3 months. But 48 days plus any pre- or post-cruise travel is more than half of that, so it would depend on how much your mail matters to you, I guess.

She also told me to mention that you would only have to rent a small box, even though there would doubtless be overflow. They only suggest or require people who consistently get lots of mail to upgrade to a large box.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, Califaloha said:

My husband and I are planning to take a 48 day cruise in 2020.  Our post office will only hold our mail for 30 days. 

The 30 day limit is standard for all branch offices of the USPS, however that does not mean the rule is not circumvented. As you know, you have entrusted your present mailman to handle such issues previously and he has.

With his retirement brings uncertainty.

Start with your new regularly assigned carrier, assuming you do get one. If you do, explain the situation to the carrier and how Marty handled past situations. Most likely your carrier will be considerate and most especially if you are appreciative of their efforts.

If you cannot arrange with the carrier, speak directly to the postmaster do not deal with a supervisor. Ask the pm, how the situation can be resolved. The pm can certainly allow the mail to be held longer than 30 days, it is their decision, regardless what the regulations are. The question is, will the pm be cooperative.

If the pm does not extend the hold, I advise against putting in a change of address. Not all mail will be forwarded. Some mail, at the senders request, cannot be forwarded. It will be returned to sender with your new address and it is then their responsibility to send to the "new" address. It will be your responsibility to inform these such senders that your "new" address was just a temporary change of address, once you put a second change of address to your original/actual home address.

A possible solution would be to submit a hold for 30 days, restart the mail for a day or 2/3. Now the important part, someone would have to initiate a new hold of mail(covering the remaining days of your travel) using your house phone via 800-ask-usps. The original hold will have expired and you are allowed a new hold. Via phone, the USPS does not verify who is calling, only that the phone number matches to your physical address. 

The issue of your hold mail accumulated from the original 30 day hold has to be addressed, as while a new hold has been phoned in and mail delivery resumed for a day or so (to allow for the new hold), the USPS can return the mail already held at the post office if not claimed. They should not return the held mail but they can. Your call as to  choose to risk it. If you trust a neighbor with entering your house to start the second hold, likely you would trust them with your hold mail delivered to their address at the end of the 30 day hold(be sure the carrier will deliver to the neighbor).

The postmaster is the key individual, as the pm can bend the rules. If you cannot arrange with your new carrier, have a meeting with the pm, explaining the situation, your concern and possible solutions but let the pm decide so they feel better about themselves.

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 12:45 AM, chengkp75 said:

I don't see why you can't give the post office a "change of address" or "forwarding address" notification to a UPS "Mailboxes, etc" box, and they will hold all mail until you return.  A USPS change of address can forward mail from 15 days to one year.  If your cruise isn't until 2020, you have plenty of time to get the change of address filed, and you choose the start date.

The dental office where I work has several "snowbirds" as patients. When they place a forwarding address with USPS for the summer season, mail that we send them (and should get forwarded) gets returned with a "Temporarily Away" sticker.

I realize this is not a helpful comment, but just something that unfortunately might happen.

Edited by mammajamma2013
Add a comment

17 hours ago, meadowlander said:

A possible solution would be to submit a hold for 30 days, restart the mail for a day or 2/3. Now the important part, someone would have to initiate a new hold of mail(covering the remaining days of your travel) using your house phone via 800-ask-usps. The original hold will have expired and you are allowed a new hold. Via phone, the USPS does not verify who is calling, only that the phone number matches to your physical address. 

You can do the next mail hold online.  That is how I do mine.