Cruise Critic Community
purplecow15

free/reduced airfare

Thinking about taking advantage of reduced airfare for San Juan departure. I know that for coming in previous day there is $25 charge pp. Does that mean we would berequired to stay at hotel NCL associated?  The one Im seeing on website is about $500 a night. That kind of defeats airline savings.Anyone had experience with this? TIA

I just booked with reduced air and took the day of cruise option. That’s scary!  They “guarantee” we will make the cruise by using their air and transfers.  Hmmm. Hard to control weather, etc.  you may have made the better decision!

You don't need to use their hotel.  We paid $25 for air deviation and that's it - no hotel through NCL was required.

Thankyou ljrfmr. That is good news. Were you able to get NCL transfers or your own?

NCL transfers are only from the airports. (Not entirely sure if you book a hotel through them, never looked with the crazy prices) so if you fly in the day before you'd have to get back to the airport to use NCL transfers. 

We did the same thing with the air promo for an early December cruise flying into LGA. Paid deviation fee and cancelled the incoming transfer (keeping only the post-cruise transfer from pier to airport). We are planning to use a shuttle service to get from LGA to the hotel I booked on my own. It will likely be easier to get directly from your hotel to pier unless you are staying near the airport of course. Good luck! 

6 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

Thankyou ljrfmr. That is good news. Were you able to get NCL transfers or your own?

We don't have transfers - we're on our own which is what we wanted!!

If you're flying out the day the cruise ends the NCL transfers are very convenient. I've used them twice from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and did one as an excursion that included a City tour in San Juan. We are using the NCL transfer in Barcelona to catch our reduced air fare flights home. We did a deviation to arrive a day early, so we'll likely grab a taxi to our independently booked hotel and the same to pier to board the ship.

Just spoke to a customer service agent. I have seen folks post that NCL would get you to next port if you miss your embarkation when purchasing airline through NCL. She informed me that was not true. NCL is not responsible for any airline issues.

The free/reduced airfare seems like a good deal until you see the flights. Here's an example:

We're booked on a cruise out of Port Canaveral in late January. Flying from Phoenix to Orlando.

In reviewing our itinerary on the NCL website they have us leaving the SAME DAY as the cruise and changing planes in Minneapolis, of all places. In January, mind you.

We lived many years in Wisconsin and know what winter is like and how it can impact travel. Not only do we not want to fly way out of the way to Minneapolis, but who knows when a blizzard will strike? Yes, I know we could fly in a day early, but that's not much consolation to have to fly way up north to turn around and fly way back down south...especially for someone who hates flying to begin with. And there's no guarantee that we'd even get out the next day.

I realize that the itinerary is preliminary and actual flights aren't scheduled until at least 60 days out from the cruise. But if they already have the itinerary out there, I doubt they will change it. We may end up biting the bullet and paying for our own flights...which will cost a lot more, but the end result would be peace of mind.

We just took advantage of this leaving from Miami. The hotel that NCL booked for us the price was substantially less than the Travelocity price online if that helps.

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

The free/reduced airfare seems like a good deal until you see the flights. Here's an example:

We're booked on a cruise out of Port Canaveral in late January. Flying from Phoenix to Orlando.

In reviewing our itinerary on the NCL website they have us leaving the SAME DAY as the cruise and changing planes in Minneapolis, of all places. In January, mind you.

We lived many years in Wisconsin and know what winter is like and how it can impact travel. Not only do we not want to fly way out of the way to Minneapolis, but who knows when a blizzard will strike? Yes, I know we could fly in a day early, but that's not much consolation to have to fly way up north to turn around and fly way back down south...especially for someone who hates flying to begin with. And there's no guarantee that we'd even get out the next day.

I realize that the itinerary is preliminary and actual flights aren't scheduled until at least 60 days out from the cruise. But if they already have the itinerary out there, I doubt they will change it. We may end up biting the bullet and paying for our own flights...which will cost a lot more, but the end result would be peace of mind.

The flight plan you see will likely change. I had similar concerns last week and agent informed me my plan was a result of a system transition glitch. Mine changed later that day and I am not sure that is final.

Fly in a day ahead. Even though you are flying AZ to Orlando if your plane is stuck up north you will have same delay as being in MN.

How soon after you booked were you given the flight info? And how soon before the cruise? 

Just now, JenTX4NYC said:

How soon after you booked were you given the flight info? And how soon before the cruise? 

Usually not until 60-75 days out.

23 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Usually not until 60-75 days out.

Do you get an email or does it just show up on your account?

3 minutes ago, JenTX4NYC said:

Do you get an email or does it just show up on your account?

Can’t answer that but perhaps others who booked economy through NCL can answer for you.  We booked Business Class and that is handled a bit differently.  We selected our routes, airlines and seats the day we booked and had an airline confirmation number so we could go in and adjust our seats the same as if we booked on our own.

14 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Can’t answer that but perhaps others who booked economy through NCL can answer for you.  We booked Business Class and that is handled a bit differently.  We selected our routes, airlines and seats the day we booked and had an airline confirmation number so we could go in and adjust our seats the same as if we booked on our own.

Thanks for your help! 

9 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

Just spoke to a customer service agent. I have seen folks post that NCL would get you to next port if you miss your embarkation when purchasing airline through NCL. She informed me that was not true. NCL is not responsible for any airline issues.

Can't believe an NCL employee actually said that out loud, but it is true. Just bc you book air through them does not guarantee they'll wait for you...or even get you to the next port. Read the fine print. That said, I've booked NCL air for a European cruise in September. I do know that my flights are actually very good but am not yet ticketed (MyNCL page shows the flights). I knew the drawbacks and am buying travel and medical insurance (because I'm such a pessimist). So far am satisfied with what I have, but I was stunned to see that the flights are in no way guaranteed by NCL as far as getting you to the port on time. Also, unless you have travel insurance, you are not guaranteed (unless you pay) to get to the next port of call if they leave without you. So, I'm paying for travel and medical insurance but still doing better $$wise than if I booked the flight myself.  If it was a US domestic flight I'd just book on my own, but the price of the European flight was just too good to pass up.

10 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

Can't believe an NCL employee actually said that out loud, but it is true. Just bc you book air through them does not guarantee they'll wait for you...or even get you to the next port. Read the fine print. That said, I've booked NCL air for a European cruise in September. I do know that my flights are actually very good but am not yet ticketed (MyNCL page shows the flights). I knew the drawbacks and am buying travel and medical insurance (because I'm such a pessimist). So far am satisfied with what I have, but I was stunned to see that the flights are in no way guaranteed by NCL as far as getting you to the port on time. Also, unless you have travel insurance, you are not guaranteed (unless you pay) to get to the next port of call if they leave without you. So, I'm paying for travel and medical insurance but still doing better $$wise than if I booked the flight myself.  If it was a US domestic flight I'd just book on my own, but the price of the European flight was just too good to pass up.

How do you KNOW your flights? We are also on a September European cruise.

I have dates and city pairs showing in my Vacation Summary, but it has changed over the course of one week, just as the customer service rep told me they would. She indicated ticketing may be about 30 days prior so for us that's late July.

What shows now is fine for city pairs, but not likely on my preferred airlines. We don't have flight or carrier yet so I cannot say if the flight arrangements are good or disappointing. However, I gave NCL latitude so we will fly what they book, arrive a day ahead of sail date and see as much of Barcelona as works for us prior to boarding the ship.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

How do you KNOW your flights? We are also on a September European cruise.

I have dates and city pairs showing in my Vacation Summary, but it has changed over the course of one week, just as the customer service rep told me they would. She indicated ticketing may be about 30 days prior so for us that's late July.

What shows now is fine for city pairs, but not likely on my preferred airlines. We don't have flight or carrier yet so I cannot say if the flight arrangements are good or disappointing. However, I gave NCL latitude so we will fly what they book, arrive a day ahead of sail date and see as much of Barcelona as works for us prior to boarding the ship.

I logged into my Delta and American accounts, entered the rez #s (without the preceding DL or AA) and voila! there they were in the airline websites. I attached my skymiles # and Aadvantage # to each and times/dates show on the individual airline websites. I was able to book my seats for Delta but not yet for American. Actually, the American is an Iberia flight (codeshare). Nothing has changed in the 2 weeks since I discovered the codes in myNCL

Edited by NRWPA

57 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

I logged into my Delta and American accounts, entered the rez #s (without the preceding DL or AA) and voila! there they were in the airline websites. I attached my skymiles # and Aadvantage # to each and times/dates show on the individual airline websites. I was able to book my seats for Delta but not yet for American. Actually, the American is an Iberia flight (codeshare). Nothing has changed in the 2 weeks since I discovered the codes in myNCL

I don't have a code. Our edocs are actually not available. We could see them before Air information was shown, but doe now they are in the not ready status.

Hoping for flights on Delta or United networks, but right now it appears the routing is on the American network. Last week it was United's. Eventually we will have something confirmed and I will be elated or disappointed, but we'll be on our way.

20 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

we have used NCL's transfers only once and we had a huge delay, not with the flight but with the transfer company period. NCL did wait for us, even though it meant they left the port an hour late. MY understanding is, if you do book air and transfers with them they will take responsibility for getting your where you are going. Our TA says the same thing. I sure hope this is correct as we are using the air and transfers on our Oct cruise. 

9 hours ago, Nola26 said:

I don't have a code. Our edocs are actually not available. We could see them before Air information was shown, but doe now they are in the not ready status.

Hoping for flights on Delta or United networks, but right now it appears the routing is on the American network. Last week it was United's. Eventually we will have something confirmed and I will be elated or disappointed, but we'll be on our way.

I’ve got eDocs with no flight info... just a transfer voucher that doesn’t state a time or anything.... I’m under the 70-day Mark now so I hope we get the flight info soon....

13 hours ago, Nola26 said:

As of Friday, I can no longer access my edocs either. Glad I accessed them a couple of weeks ago