Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcu1210

Port schedule change

Brief Vent moment. We are on NCL Spirit in Nov 2019, will be our first time to Europe.  we were originally in port at Livorno/Florence from 8 to8, and they recently took an hour away. At first I didn’t mind, but now seeing I am an hour and a half away from Florence, I am realizing how. Important that hour is. Anyone know why this happens? It’s heartbreaking not being able to do something we’ve always wanted to do, but it’s not worth missing the ship

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

Brief Vent moment. We are on NCL Spirit in Nov 2019, will be our first time to Europe.  we were originally in port at Livorno/Florence from 8 to8, and they recently took an hour away. At first I didn’t mind, but now seeing I am an hour and a half away from Florence, I am realizing how. Important that hour is. Anyone know why this happens? It’s heartbreaking not being able to do something we’ve always wanted to do, but it’s not worth missing the ship

Totally understand where you are coming from.  If seeing Florence is that important and you’re not sure to get back there, do a ship excursion so no concerns about being late back to the ship.  We did one 3 years ago to Pisa and Florence with NCL and felt we saw the main attractions, even David, and really had a very enjoyable experience.  We also had time to climb the Leaning Tower.  I know it’s not as nice as doing a private excursion but it worked well for us.

Edited by mertziek

I totally agree with the previous poster about doing a ship’s tour in this instance.  While I greatly prefer private tours because of the smaller size/lower cost, with an hour shorter port stay I would definitely opt for a ship tour.  

4 hours ago, mertziek said:

Totally understand where you are coming from.  If seeing Florence is that important and you’re not sure to get back there, do a ship excursion so no concerns about being late back to the ship.  We did one 3 years ago to Pisa and Florence with NCL and felt we saw the main attractions, even David, and really had a very enjoyable experience.  We also had time to climb the Leaning Tower.  I know it’s not as nice as doing a private excursion but it worked well for us.

I think this is the excursion we are doing in October.   Florence - David, Pisa - climb.   Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, luv2c00k said:

I think this is the excursion we are doing in October.   Florence - David, Pisa - climb.   Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

We saw a lot besides David in Florence.  Did not get in the church though.  In Pisa, we toured the cemetery area, the cathedral and the tower climb.  It was a really great day for us and well worth the cost.

It can be a long and tiring day, you won't really miss the hour.