ms Eurodam - cabins under pool deck noisy?

80sGirl

Hi there, we're just booking our first HAL cruise,  an R/T Vancouver to Hawaii at the end of September and the category we're looking at is on deck 8. Directly above the stateroom is the Lido pool. My assumption is that it should be fine as we're not likely to have too many young kids but our other cruises have always had us on a deck that has cabins above and below.

Has anyone had experience with cabins on deck 8 under the pool? Any advice is appreciated! 

32 minutes ago, summer slope said:

We have been under the pool several times.  The only noise we heard was when they put the loungers away at night and in the morning when then put them out.  Not  a problem to us.

Doesn't sound like a big deal for us either. Thanks!

Personally I don't like being under the Lido Pool where the deck chairs are.  Other areas are fine, like closer forward and further aft.  I am a nap everyday in the afternoon person and the chairs scrapping above back and forth back and forth were just too much for me.  If you don't prefer an afternoon siesta then go for it.

We just disembarked the Eurodam this morning-cabin 8079. Directly underneath one of the busier galleys on the Lido deck buffet. From very very early morning until late at night the cart's rolling into the galley could wake anyone and we are sound sleepers.  We were in a gaurantee at a great price so we dealt with it as well as a ceiling leak over the bed late one night as the kitchen floor was being sprayed down. First time we have ever had a noise problem or any issue on deck 8 and usually love it. Would much rather be under the aft or lido pool anytime. Have a great cruise on the Eurodam! It's become one of our favorites.          

Thanks Sharon and Crusinsusan2 for your thoughts. We're in 8054 which is closer to the end of the pool with the hot tubs.

I just realized...doh!... that I failed to mention we're in a balcony cabin so it *appears* that we won't be directly under the pool or the deck chairs but it looks like, from pictures on the internet, we'll be under the eating area on the deck. Which will be just as bad. Gah! 

There is an option to move to a higher cost balcony on deck 5, but it's at the aft end. As someone who gets vertigo,  I'm concerned about the ship bouncing about as we have 10 days at sea across the Pacific. Has any of you done a Pacific crossing to Hawaii? How bumpy does it get?

Gf42-I don't want to give you bad or incorrect info. The only way we figured out where the noise was exactly coming from in 8079 was to take a walk up the stairs and identify the galley entrance (doorway) directly over the cabin (I am assuming it's the same on the other side too and same place) Husband also thinks looking at the deck plan that same would occur on the direct opposite end and only at the begining of the lido dining. Thinking anything NOT directly under the exact galley entrances would be fine and not noisey.. LOVE deck 8 and easy flight of stairs to the upper decks, this was our first and only stinker (noise wise) Can't speak to the Pacific crossing but have hit some rough days on Eurodam and truly felt no difference in motion from direct aft wrap to center. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Happy cruising (and the planning is almost as fun too 🙂)    

On 6/23/2019 at 8:34 AM, 80sGirl said:

Doesn't sound like a big deal for us either. Thanks!

We had a stern cabin on Deck 8 on the Eurodam.  Lovely cabin, but we found the noise of deck chairs being moved very loud, especially at 1.00 am.  We let the office know and we had no further problems.

We have been under the Lido pool area on several ships and there was some deck chair noise.  Not real bad, but we could certainly hear it.  Also been below the Lido buffet dining area and never any noise (the area is carpeted), so we select that area now.  We do like being only deck from the Lido.

Cruisinsusan2. Thank you for the information. We are booked in the next cabin 8081 and our friends are on the other side in 8078.  When I saw your post it concerned me. I wonder if the noise you heard would be heard there . Thanks for your reply

On 6/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, summer slope said:

We have been under the pool several times.  The only noise we heard was when they put the loungers away at night and in the morning when then put them out.  Not  a problem to us.

Was under the pool deck on the N. Amsterdam (sister ship to Eurodam) and this was the main noise we heard.

21 hours ago, 80sGirl said:

it looks like, from pictures on the internet, we'll be under the eating area on the deck.

From the deck plans it looks to me like you are under the last cabana, or just aft of it.  We were under a Lido cabana on the Nieuw A, and the only noise which bothered us a little was footsteps on the night of the Chocolate Extravaganza, and that only lasted 90 minutes or so.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. We decided to book a lower deck cabin to avoid "sure-thing" pool deck noise and to ease my mind about the roll of a higher deck in rough seas. 

We had a very loud early morning jazzersize class right  above us. They had speakers set near the side rail that woke us up most mornings. When they worked out in the pool they just raised the volume. This was part of a group of about 200 that were traveling as a motivational group.