Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
ceilidh1

Treadwell Mine and Sandy Beach - Transportation?

We have been to Juneau many times and done all the usual tourist things. We would like to do something different on our visit in August and were looking at Douglas Island. We are interested in Sandy Beach and the Treadwell Mine walking tour, but not sure about the best way to get there and back? It will be two adults and two kids. I read that you can get the public bus but I was not successful in finding out which number and where to get it/where to get off (the bus website was pretty confusing!) The other option would be a cab to take us there if we could arrange for them to also pick us up...not sure what that would cost? We are not interested in renting a car...

Thanks for any suggestions!

At 2 adults+2 kids, renting the car starts to make sense.

If you're into that sort of thing, the Britannia museum in Vancouver makes sense (where you would have to rent a car anyway).  I liked Britannia better, because of the huge mining truck out front.  You can fill a full two days' worth touring north Vancouver, up the sea-to-sky highway to Squamish.

We visited the Treadwell Mine site last year and did the historic hike and walk back along the beach. We spent about 2 1/2 hours and it was well worth it. So interesting and scenic too. We rented a car but if the bus doesn’t work for you a taxi might be an option. Here is a link to one if the local taxi companies. They could probably tell you what it would cost. 

http://www.evergreentaxi.com/

9 hours ago, tetleytea said:

At 2 adults+2 kids, renting the car starts to make sense.

If you're into that sort of thing, the Britannia museum in Vancouver makes sense (where you would have to rent a car anyway).  I liked Britannia better, because of the huge mining truck out front.  You can fill a full two days' worth touring north Vancouver, up the sea-to-sky highway to Squamish.

I live in Vancouver....no need for sightseeing and touring there!

7 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We visited the Treadwell Mine site last year and did the historic hike and walk back along the beach. We spent about 2 1/2 hours and it was well worth it. So interesting and scenic too. We rented a car but if the bus doesn’t work for you a taxi might be an option. Here is a link to one if the local taxi companies. They could probably tell you what it would cost. 

http://www.evergreentaxi.com/

Great - thinking it will be something different for us. Last time we were there we hiked up Mount Roberts and it was great...so getting out of town this time is top of our list!

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I live in Vancouver....no need for sightseeing and touring there!

Okay...well we're in Vancouver now.  Will we be able to park in Stanley during the day on weekdays?

2 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

Okay...well we're in Vancouver now.  Will we be able to park in Stanley during the day on weekdays?

Lots of parking in Stanley Park, but it's paid parking so be sure to feed the meter. Parking tickets are expensive here!

2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Lots of parking in Stanley Park, but it's paid parking so be sure to feed the meter. Parking tickets are expensive here!

I've been acquainted before with parking too long in front of Parliament in Victoria.  And the speed video cameras in Calgary.   Might be some unpaid tolls from driving the 407 in Toronto, but if there are I have no memory of it.

2 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

I've been acquainted before with parking too long in front of Parliament in Victoria.  And the speed video cameras in Calgary.   Might be some unpaid tolls from driving the 407 in Toronto, but if there are I have no memory of it.

The meter folks are ruthless here - they are out in force every day and don't hesitate to issue tickets, even if you are only a minute or so over!

One good parking lot this morning was the 99 northbound, near Horseshoe Bay.  We could see the flames from the highway.  When we saw the mass of planes circling around and the helicopters hauling buckets of water, that's when we figured out that fire was not supposed to be there.  Going back southbound 99 this evening, it was much more in control.  Still the smoke, the fire crews, and the planes, but traffic was flowing around it much better.

Just wanted to come back and update on this. We took the #1 Douglas bus from the transit centre downtown to Saviko Beach (it's the last stop/turn around point). The fare was $2 for adults and $1 for kids each way - exact change only. We were fortunate to have amazing weather and spent an amazing day walking the trails and on the beach. I highly recommend this trip if you have done the usual Juneau tourist spots. It was so great to get out of the city and away from the crowds and the scenery was stunning, not to mention all the cool remains from the mine! This was one of the highlights of our trip (bear in mind that we have done Alaska 8 times so wanted something different in Juneau!)