Cruise Critic Community
aussiebossyboots

Magnet Hooks & Sun Lounge Towel Clips

Dear Aussie Cruisers

I have been looking for magnet hooks and sun lounge towel clips to purchase locally in the ACT.  Tried Bunnings & a travel shop - not available.

I did purchase some magnet hooks on line through Ebay (AMF Magnets) that were supposed to hold 5 kgs, but unfortunately on the cabin wall only managed to hold my shawl!!

If you know where I can buy these hooks & sun lounger clips anywhere in Canberra or Sydney please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

You need neodymium hooks. They are the strongest. I don't know about physical shops in Canberra, but you can order at ebay, aliexpress and magnets au. Beware on ebay a lot of items that claim to be in oz are actually from China and may take a month to arrive.

Edit: frenergy are located in Sydney.

Edited by andlep

Thanks.  I actually bought the 5.5kg magnets from magnetsau but they were not strong enough.  I will try to contact them by phone to discuss which magnets are the best option.  Cheers.

Any information on sun lounger clips?

I have the 22kg ones I linked on aliexpress.They are very strong. Sorry I can't help with lounger clips.

Thanks again, have sent an email to magnets.au.  Having purchased from them before, they were very reliable and the hooks arrived really quickly.  Cheers,

Amazon also have a good range. 

I bought some 9kg ones. They are good for some things but they just slide off the walls on Celebrity Solstice when any weight is on them. I saw a tip somewhere that suggested putting them on the ceiling in that case. 

You need the very strong ones because despite the fact that the cabin walls are steel tey are covered with a lining that separates the magnet from the steel and cuts down the effect of the magnet.

I've seen the towel clips in discount stores.

WARNING! Do not let the magnets get near your watch, they will even stop a quartz watch let alone muck up the regulation of a mechanical watch.

I have used what they call rare earth magnets which were ordered from ebay.  These ship with a plastic washer in between and for a good reason, I discovered:  I once was putting the back to back and the washer dropped to the floor.  Magnet to magnet, they could not be separated with any force.  They had to be slid apart.

These magnets worked on walls, roof and doors.  I have always found the doors hardest to get normal magnets to stick to.

I have been in touch (email) with AMF Magnets and ordered their 22kg magnetic hooks which hopefully should be delivered by early next week.  Will test them out on our cruise on 9 July and then report back on their efficiency.  Cost was AUD$7.66 each + postage.  The price gets cheaper with increased quantity, but I only wanted 4.  Thanks for all your suggestions.

Now to find a Reject Shop to look for the sun lounger clips.

There is a Reject shop in Tuggeranong's South.point (old Hyperdome).

They are also in Coolaman Court, and Belconnen Mall as well as Gunghalin, Holt and two in Queanbeyan.

You can get clips in the baby section of KMart or such stores which would probably be suitable.