Cruise Critic Community
dcruiser50

Class cruising has returned

3 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I've read a lot of comments about the Vibe expanding on the Getaway but I'm seeing it a little bit different than everyone else I guess.  I was on the Getaway this past January and that upper deck space that they have expanded to the Vibe was always quite empty except for a select few who wanted to sunbathe but be away from the pool.  There isn't really anything up there except for a bar that was hardly ever open.  The current Vibe doesn't have a pool either it is basically for sunbathing.  If they expand it just so they can sell more Vibe tickets, which seem to be a hot commodity, then I actually see it freeing up more space around the pool and not making it more over-crowded. 

That's exactly what I am getting at.  I do not get Vibe passes, nor do I spend any time on the sun deck next to Vibe or by the pool for that matter.  I get my sun fix from the waterfront and my balcony.  So I really have no game in this.  But from reading this board, many people have posted that they love this area because it is away from the masses, meaning not many people are using it.  NCL sells out of their Vibe passes and has many asking for more.  My guess is that they may even have the same or more people using that area once they make that change plus they will now be making money from it.  I personally don't think it will have any affect on the crowds at the pool.  Some posters are trying to make you think they are taking a ton of space away from people who use it.  But they admit that the reason they love it is because not many people use it.  Pure business on the part of NCL.  Taking space that admittedly few use and giving it to those who are willing to pay for it.  Pure profit on their part....and that is what they are in business for.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, rgd1213 said:

I tend to agree with the OP....and I don't think he was calling anyone 'steerage' but just stressing a point.  My wife and I play a little game when cruising NCL...how long will it take for a person we meet to say "we are in the Haven".  Usually does not take too long (it's been as short as an elevator ride!), and my wife and I just look at each other, then our watches, and smile. :classic_biggrin:

Not uniformly true of all Haven sailors...

I have only been on 5 NCL cruises and only book inside cabins. Sure I would love to stay in a balcony or a suite but I know my financial limitations. I have never ever been made to feel like anything but a valued customer on NCL by all the staff. 

9 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Not uniformly true of all Haven sailors...

know a lot of people who do not refer to what type of a cabin they are in, but I have seen a few people who are very impressed with themselves and want the world to know they can or think they can afford a suite. Again, certainly not every Haven resident has this attitude. 

You get what you pay for!   

I have no problem with my cruises including expensive options for other to pay.  That may mean that I can find the cruises that I want for less  $$.    We never fly first class, except rarely we get an upgrade.  No problem, I fly for a fraction of what others pay.  True, I can't sleep well in tourist, but, my budget survives and we can do more trips.

I think that this thread makes some valid points, but to compare modern cruising with passenger liners from a hundred years ago is ridiculous.  Steerage in those days has practically no similarity to modern cruising where people are served fairly good meals, drinks and entertainment.    Life is good, even in an ordinary balcony or for that matter an inside cabin.