Best way to book 9 people and 3 rooms

Mikiejag

So decided on a family vacation, and originally that included 8 people.  Well perfect, two rooms.  Now it seems one kid doesn't want to go, because she will have nobody to hang with, so we said see if there is a friend...yeah, did this without really considering the logistics.

Don't want her to miss the cruise, but basically 4 kids, two with girlfriend/boyfriend, then the two others.  They are all 18, with one 21.  Two balconies. 4 per room, very doable. Now we have 9.

We were headed to Bermuda on the Encore, but now it has changed to Western Caribbean, around the 30th of May after graduation. 

Trying to price this out the cheapest possible way.  Was thinking a balcony could fit a 5th person, but no go.

So was going to do:

4 Interior, 3 Balcony 1, 2 Balcony 2.  Thought about a studio, but all expense shifts to the balconies. Granted, counting on people moving rooms and such when it comes down to it, but looking for the cheapest booking option.

Any ideas? Or has anyone ran across something like this with the one extra person throwing the rooms all out of wack?  :)

Keep in mind cabins that sleep 3 will not sleep 4, and you will have to book someone over the age of 20 in each cabin (but can get extra key cards onboard and sleep wherever). Honestly 4 adults in a balcony is tight, our family of 7 gets connecting balconies with our teens/young adults, but I would only do it with my immediate family.

It is tight, but "putting" one person over 21 in each room has taken care of that issue.  And in all honesty I foresee 3 people ending up in each room.  I currently have two connecting balcony rooms booked, but trying to get the 9th person in has proven to be a little bit more work than it should.

Basically went from about $725 per person to almost $1k, Booking four in the interior drops it to about $850ish.

We are trying to cater to the daughter, because she won't go if she doesn't get a friend.  Which other than the memories she would loose out on and the fact that she has so much fun on the first one, we believe she is being short sighted.

When my oldest was 16, we booked a beach vacation with a bunch of friends, but none had kids her age. My four youngest had a blast, she was pretty miserable all week. Young adults seem to not love cruising unless they have someone traveling with them. Fortunately my oldest had each other on our last cruise, 19 and 20, and together ended up forming a pack with others.

Honestly, thinking back to my 18 year old self and if my siblings were allowed to bring friends I'd be pretty pissy if I was told I couldn't bring a friend -- even more so if I couldn't just because I was single. I'm assuming she's not super close to the other single child? All the couples will go off and do their own thing, so then it's either hang out alone or hang out with someone you don't normally spend that much time with. I don't entirely blame her. I've done the solo thing in families and it sucks -- but I couldn't find someone to go with and chose to go anyway. I was well past being a teenager though!

I say throw all the kids in an inside and keep the balcony for you guys. 

Edited by smplybcause

I think the cheapest option would be to get a oceanview that sleeps 5 and one balcony.  there are no balconies that sleep 5.  If somehow you could go on the May 10 -17 sailing, that would be even better because it looks like the last sailing for the summer that has the 3rd and 4th guest free option

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

...unless you book a Haven suite (H4, H2).

even the largest Haven only sleeps 6, so you'd still have to get another room.  It would be much more expensive than getting three balconies

Just now, dbrown84 said:

even the largest Haven only sleeps 6, so you'd still have to get another room.  It would be much more expensive than getting three balconies

There will always be a need for at least a 2nd stateroom. The person quoted stated that the only way to get 5 in a stateroom was with an ocean-view. 

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

...I'm assuming she's not super close to the other single child? All the couples will go off and do their own thing, so then it's either hang out alone or hang out with someone you don't normally spend that much time with. I don't entirely blame her. I've done the solo thing in families and it sucks -- but I couldn't find someone to go with and chose to go anyway...

It is more of the brother is bringing the 4 year long girlfriend, the step sister is bringing the 5 year boyfriend, and then the other daughter isn't close. 

plus they are already being tossed in an Inside... lol  🙂

If this 9th person really can't workout, she will just have to decide if she really wants to stay home or not.

45 minutes ago, Grandma MoMac said:

We just booked the Encore to Bermuda for next July

Only room that accommodates 5 is Oceanview

I am going to check out the Oceanview and maybe reach a compromise.  No balcony, but a window.  Which would make it 4 inside, 3 Oceanview and 1 balcony. 

19 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I think the cheapest option would be to get a oceanview that sleeps 5 and one balcony.  there are no balconies that sleep 5.  If somehow you could go on the May 10 -17 sailing, that would be even better because it looks like the last sailing for the summer that has the 3rd and 4th guest free option

I wish could pull it forward, but gotta graduate first.  They were late entries to school so they will almost be 19 by graduation.  Graduation is the 26th at the earliest...

13 minutes ago, Mikiejag said:

It is more of the brother is bringing the 4 year long girlfriend, the step sister is bringing the 5 year boyfriend, and then the other daughter isn't close. 

plus they are already being tossed in an Inside... lol  🙂

If this 9th person really can't workout, she will just have to decide if she really wants to stay home or not.

I am going to check out the Oceanview and maybe reach a compromise.  No balcony, but a window.  Which would make it 4 inside, 3 Oceanview and 1 balcony. 

I'm just saying, as the one in my family that's been single more often then not it's not fun to always be put in the "fifth wheel" category and having to go solo just because you're not coupled up. 

Also, I meant 4 in one inside, 3 in another, and 2 in a balcony. Then the kid in the balcony and your wife who's the over 21 in the 3 person inside switch rooms. Throw the couples in the 4 room, and then the 2 single kids and the friend sleep in the inside for 3 -- which leaves you & your wife in the balcony without those pesky kids! 

Edited by smplybcause

Oh for Pete's sake It's a cruise...it's free for the kids...put an older one in a studio and then when you sail put the whinner in the studio.I have found out that some family vacations just don't....go smooth... Put all the kids in an inside...if they don't like it they can pay for the difference....anyone who has a boy or girlfriend for 4 or more years and is sleeping with them must have a job and can contribute to this upgrade if they need it.  I sound tough but sometimes a gift is a gift for the kids and everyone should just be thankful and happy🍹

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped getting responses to the thread via email for some reason.

Ended up grabbing a sale with free air and got three balconies to western Caribbean.  The blood relations are paying 1/2 and the non-family members are going in full price.  :) 

its like a grown up solution that works for everyone. 

@myjillian, here's to hoping for a little smooth, but this is gonna be the last time.  next time they want to roll, it will be "ship name" and "date of sailing" hope to see you at port....LOL 

On 6/24/2019 at 12:59 PM, smplybcause said:

Also, I meant 4 in one inside, 3 in another, and 2 in a balcony. Then the kid in the balcony and your wife who's the over 21 in the 3 person inside switch rooms. Throw the couples in the 4 room, and then the 2 single kids and the friend sleep in the inside for 3 -- which leaves you & your wife in the balcony without those pesky kids! 

Bingo.  This is the way I went.  The bro and sis, with friend and girl friend in a four room, the other kids and my daughter in another balcony and for my effort...Me and the misses will take the room with 2.  :)