Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
#1TravelMom

DO NOT DISEMBARK BEFORE YOUR COLOR IS CALLED

Recommended Posts

I forgot this tip in my review.  Do not disembark before you color is called.  We were just on the Seaside last week.  When we disembarked in Miami, there was a MESS at the luggage claim area.  Crowds of people standing in the way with no where to go.  MSC does not unload and sort all of the luggage at once.  It is done in stages.  People were getting off before their scheduled time.  The luggage was not even out yet, so they just had to stand and wait.  Meanwhile hundreds of people are trying to navigate the same area.  If you'd like to get off earlier, check with guest services and see if earlier tags are available.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can self disembark. However, you may not be the first group off if there is a tour group or groups that need to make an early flight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes this is a good tip. About a month ago, we got off of Bellissima and asked customer service if we would be allowed to disembark earlier due to an early flight. They said yes and changed the disembarkation time and tag for my luggage.

 

However, our luggage did not arrive immediately.  It was not a very long wait, but it was not the same situation as with other cruise lines where everything gets unloaded well in advance. It did seem as if they send the luggage according to Tag color at the proper time.

 

So I could see someone trying to beat the system by sneaking off early, and then being frustrated because their luggage has not shown up.

Edited by Stockjock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We usually stay until around 10.30 am when most of the crowds have gone, a nice stroll down to our cases and immigration and out of the building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sidari said:

We usually stay until around 10.30 am when most of the crowds have gone, a nice stroll down to our cases and immigration and out of the building.

And into the throng of 10K other people all getting off their ships at the same time. 

Last time we sailed out of Miami I swore I would never go there again, it's a mad house at the curb. We had on the last 3 occasions at least 3 Uber/Lyfts cancel on us each time  just as they entered the terminal, unable to find us. 

But the ships we want to sail on go from there so we'll be back again in December (God help us) 

Edited by stoneman56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes same as us for Xmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sidari said:

We usually stay until around 10.30 am when most of the crowds have gone, a nice stroll down to our cases and immigration and out of the building.

Interestingly, in Barcelona there was no immigration. You just grab your bags and hit the road. I was a little surprised at that.

 

There was plenty of immigration at the airport as you might expect, but nothing at the cruise terminal, which I did not expect.

Edited by Stockjock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours was in Miami on both occasions coming off Seaside and also Divina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 2:42 PM, #1TravelMom said:

I forgot this tip in my review.  Do not disembark before you color is called.  We were just on the Seaside last week.  When we disembarked in Miami, there was a MESS at the luggage claim area.  Crowds of people standing in the way with no where to go.  MSC does not unload and sort all of the luggage at once.  It is done in stages.  People were getting off before their scheduled time.  The luggage was not even out yet, so they just had to stand and wait.  Meanwhile hundreds of people are trying to navigate the same area.  If you'd like to get off earlier, check with guest services and see if earlier tags are available.  

no cruise line unload and sort all luggage at once. they all wark same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been permitted to self-disembark when sailing with MSC. It is by far my preferred method.

 

Even in the YC I was strongly advised not to attempt to do this. Interesting others have managed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we disembarked from Seaside, we were one of the first groups called, BUT: we still wanted to avail ourselves of the Unlimited Beverage package, so my wife and I strolled up to the nearly empty Aurea bar on Deck 19 and ordered several drinks. 😁 When we got to our luggage in the arrivals hall, it was easy to spot as it was almost the only set remaining. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DC ... We stayed at the Venchi bar, as there was just the two of us the waitress kept us supplied with Chocolate Martinis ... 😀 And like yours our cases were all alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 11:50 PM, Stockjock said:

Interestingly, in Barcelona there was no immigration. You just grab your bags and hit the road. I was a little surprised at that.

 

There was plenty of immigration at the airport as you might expect, but nothing at the cruise terminal, which I did not expect.

 

If you have done a European cruise, there will be no immigration.   Immigration is at the airport if you have come from outside the Schegen area.

 

Example:  If I walk from my house in Gibraltar across the land frontier to the neighbouring town in Spain there is immigration because UK is not Schengen.   If I catch a plane in Malaga and fly to Switzerland there are no immigration procedures because both countries are in Schengen.  

 

If you do a TA cruise I am sure that the first Schengen country you come to would carry out the immigration procedures.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have never been permitted to self-disembark when sailing with MSC. It is by far my preferred method.
 
Even in the YC I was strongly advised not to attempt to do this. Interesting others have managed.
It was permissible on our Armonia cruise, Cap'n (I'd have to root out the daily programs from other cruises to see if the same had been shown):

a61d1fa4e9650beb14b633664ce80278.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, sidari said:

DC ... We stayed at the Venchi bar, as there was just the two of us the waitress kept us supplied with Chocolate Martinis ... 😀 And like yours our cases were all alone.

 

Sounds like a good way to end your cruise ... might try it myself since we have a late afternoon flight upon disembarkation  🥂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 5:02 AM, Beamafar said:

It was permissible on our Armonia cruise, Cap'n (I'd have to root out the daily programs from other cruises to see if the same had been shown):

a61d1fa4e9650beb14b633664ce80278.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

I was about to say the same thing. Eric actually encouraged self assist disembark, in his disembark talk. We ended up with a color that was 10am which didn't work for us as Atlanta is a 10 hour drive, if you don't stop at all... dad went down and asked for earlier. They apologized and informed him 8:10 was all they could do. Dad let them know that was just fine... so we had lime 1 and got off and on the road quickly... it never hurts to ask... the worst they can do is no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...