Back to ship for lunch at these ports? Palma, Marseille, La Spezia, Rome, Naples

kj_connections

I'm considering my first Mediterranean cruise possibly with 2 kids under age 7.  I am wondering which of the following ports would I be able to make it back onto the ship for lunch/break for the kids and then possibly go back out to sightsee again?  I know Rome is out of the question since it is quite far from the port.  Thanks in advance

It really depends on what you want to do.  Naples is easier because the cruise port is located in the historic center of town but there are still time costs to returning to the ship, and time is a precious and limited asset on a port day.

Whatever you do, please don't make this decision based on money.  You can find cheap food on shore to keep you going, it's not worth giving up an hour or two of your limited time in these amazing ports to save a few euros on food.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

Except for Naples all other ports are requiring either a shuttle or a longer transfer.

And I totally agree you will find cheap but good food in all of the ports mentioned. In Italy nothing easier than to get a pizza al taglio - just a piece of pizza for little money.

steamboats

For Rome, you will be docked in Civitavecchia, which is at least an hours drive from Rome. If you want to see Rome you definitely can’t get back to the ship. You can spend time in Civitavecchia, but it’s just an Italian coastal town - nothing special.

Naples is not the nicest of cities but is a brilliant stop for accessing other places.  You can take the train 20 minutes or so to Pompeii, really not to be missed especially as you are coming so far.  The kids would love running around the ruins and would probably understand some of the history.  A great place but remember the sun cream as it gets very hot.  There are cafes and stalls near the entrance where you could buy ice creams and snack foods for the kids.