Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
VentureMan_2000

Can you tip your Bar Tender in cash ?

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, mapman_2004 said:

I prefer to write nice little notes about how great they are doing, or things they can improve on.  That or I give them chocolates.  Or trinkets, they really, really love little gifts bought from the airport.

 

I'm not sure if this is /s, but I'm curious if they really like that kind of thing, or are they just putting on a show for the person giving the gift and they throw it out the second you turn your back. They're on the ship for 4-6 months and have very limited cabin space (and usually a cabin mate) so they would have to store all the items they're gifted from all the passengers they deal with.

 

I'm thinking they pitch most of it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sean_B said:

 

I'm not sure if this is /s, but I'm curious if they really like that kind of thing, or are they just putting on a show for the person giving the gift and they throw it out the second you turn your back. They're on the ship for 4-6 months and have very limited cabin space (and usually a cabin mate) so they would have to store all the items they're gifted from all the passengers they deal with.

 

I'm thinking they pitch most of it.

 

 

 

I think Mapman was making a joke...   😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

 

I think Mapman was making a joke...   😂

 

 

 

I thought he was serious. Otherwise he would have come back on and correct himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be cruising on Carnival Splendor out of Sydney in November 2020. Australian currency will be used and our $1 & $2 are coins. Would this be acceptable please? I'm getting the Bottomless Bubbles package, travelling solo I won't risk drinking alcohol as I'm handicapped and quite unsteady on my feet at times. I've always thanked people who help me-not as much of a tipping culture here, but have no problems giving a cash Thank You. Just not sure how the crew will react!

 

Greatly enjoying the different threads and learning a surprising amount of useful tips that I think, "Now WHY didn't I think of this or that before!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems that your coins would be fine since you are cruising out of Australia.   I would think that the Euro is used for European cruises.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed out of Rome last month.  Used Euros off the ship, but we tipped in USD on board.  Never had a complaint.  Cash is cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 9:20 PM, 3smithboys said:

How much do you normally tip per drink? I want to get tips ready ahead of time for Cheers and was wondering if people tip $1 or $2 per drink? Is $1 enough? Or do you tip per order? I don’t want to be cheap... 

 

You already paid a gratuity on the price of the Cheers package, so even if you don't add anything else you aren't being cheap.  Some tip per drink, some per round, some nothing above the mandatory gratuity.  Whatever you feel led to give will be fine, even if it is different per server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

 

You already paid a gratuity on the price of the Cheers package, so even if you don't add anything else you aren't being cheap.  Some tip per drink, some per round, some nothing above the mandatory gratuity.  Whatever you feel led to give will be fine, even if it is different per server.

Great, thanks! I wanted to get a tip pack ready for my son who will have Cheers so he can tip in cash for each drink. Maybe, I’ll just have him just write it on the slip and plan for the charge back to the room at the end. There seems to be no clear answer as to what the staff prefers, cash or having it charged on the sign and sail card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 5:26 PM, 3smithboys said:

Great, thanks! I wanted to get a tip pack ready for my son who will have Cheers so he can tip in cash for each drink. Maybe, I’ll just have him just write it on the slip and plan for the charge back to the room at the end. There seems to be no clear answer as to what the staff prefers, cash or having it charged on the sign and sail card.

So you're going to double-tip??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

So you're going to double-tip??

No, just wavering in my mind... should I get cash ready for tips for the bartenders or just add it to the tip line. We already get cash tips ready for porters, taxis, excursions, etc... so I wanted to make sure we brought enough. Maybe just adding it to the tip line is easier. (As long as they are the ones actually getting the tips and from what I read on here, it seems like they do.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 4:26 PM, 3smithboys said:

Great, thanks! I wanted to get a tip pack ready for my son who will have Cheers so he can tip in cash for each drink. Maybe, I’ll just have him just write it on the slip and plan for the charge back to the room at the end. There seems to be no clear answer as to what the staff prefers, cash or having it charged on the sign and sail card.

Cash is King! Always tip the bar/waitstaff with CASH. Nobody but you and them need to know the amount. They certainly appreciate the $$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sharkbait2 said:

Casino chips. Never want for a drink

 

 

What does this mean? never want for a drink?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, coevan said:

 

 

What does this mean? never want for a drink?

Guessing tips in Casino Chips....drinks are plenty...so no need to want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 3smithboys said:

No, just wavering in my mind... should I get cash ready for tips for the bartenders or just add it to the tip line. We already get cash tips ready for porters, taxis, excursions, etc... so I wanted to make sure we brought enough. Maybe just adding it to the tip line is easier. (As long as they are the ones actually getting the tips and from what I read on here, it seems like they do.) 

Based on your answer, I'm not sure you understand how tipping works. When you purchase a drink, an 18% gratuity is automatically applied and added to the cost of that drink. It sounds to me like you want to tip *more* than the 18%, which is called double-tipping, which is why I asked if that's what you want to do.

18% on every drink you buy is adequate IMO. paying more than 18% on every drink, regardless of what the perceived benefits are, seems crazy.

Edited by Sean_B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

Guessing tips in Casino Chips....drinks are plenty...so no need to want?

Yes, that was my point. Sorry for the confusion. Just a little hectic around here getting ready to board the Vista tomorrow. Just booked her last Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sean_B said:

Based on your answer, I'm not sure you understand how tipping works. When you purchase a drink, an 18% gratuity is automatically applied and added to the cost of that drink. It sounds to me like you want to tip *more* than the 18%, which is called double-tipping, which is why I asked if that's what you want to do.

18% on every drink you buy is adequate IMO. paying more than 18% on every drink, regardless of what the perceived benefits are, seems crazy.

Thanks for your clarification. I thought you were asking if I was going to add an additional tip to the tip line and also hand the wait staff cash. I was not planning on doing that. I am aware that an 18% gratuity is already included. We usually give an extra $1.00 when getting a drink. We have no perceived benefits from this, only being nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we have Drinks on Us Card in the casino we tip so the bar server will find us frequently.  I also tip when we get free drinks at Plat/Diamond Party.  I usually ask for "Mocha Chocolate Getaway" and ask the server to bring me another one in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 7:32 AM, Sean_B said:

Based on your answer, I'm not sure you understand how tipping works. When you purchase a drink, an 18% gratuity is automatically applied and added to the cost of that drink. It sounds to me like you want to tip *more* than the 18%, which is called double-tipping, which is why I asked if that's what you want to do.

18% on every drink you buy is adequate IMO. paying more than 18% on every drink, regardless of what the perceived benefits are, seems crazy.

Leaving aside the merits of whether 18% is adequate...

 

If you have the Cheers package, your tip percentage effectively goes down with each drink you order. (I'm going to round here, because it makes the math easier. The precise numbers are very close for the package and tip; drinks will obviously vary based on if you like beer or high-end cocktails.) The package is $50/day, plus $9/day tip. If I drink $10 drinks, I'm tipping 18% on five, 9% on ten, and 6% on fifteen. Just something to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 8:07 AM, meatloafsfan said:

You can tip extra in cash but if you're buying drinks, then a gratuity is added automatically to the cost of the drink and added to your sign & sail.

Right, if you are buying a $10 drink you are paying $1.80. Most would consider that adequate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also bring a pack of 100.00 dollars in ones. We put them in the safe and just bring 10.00 or 15.00 out of it with us for the day. We always have the drinks package and I know we have already paid our 18 percent, but we like to tip extra too. I will tip 1.00 for a mixed drink or if it is a waiter and I am not at the bar. If I am at the bar and it is just opening a beer bottle or pouring a glass from an already open bottle of wine, I may tip every other drink. DH has a certain gin and tonic concoction that he has to tell the bartender exactly how to make or if they make something special for us we up it to 2.00 or 3.00. If we end up at the same bar for most of the cruise and get a rapport with the bartenders, we may give them something at the end too.

 

 

 

Mary Ann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, indygirl76 said:

Leaving aside the merits of whether 18% is adequate...

 

If you have the Cheers package, your tip percentage effectively goes down with each drink you order. (I'm going to round here, because it makes the math easier. The precise numbers are very close for the package and tip; drinks will obviously vary based on if you like beer or high-end cocktails.) The package is $50/day, plus $9/day tip. If I drink $10 drinks, I'm tipping 18% on five, 9% on ten, and 6% on fifteen. Just something to consider.

 

 

You are way over thinking this. I tip extra because I am in the service industry and appreciate the service. Yes, you get better service as well. Yes, 18% is added,  tip more or not, it's up to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bartenders get $2 for two drinks, I personally could not work like they do or for that many hours per day for months at a time away from home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, coevan said:

 

 

You are way over thinking this. I tip extra because I am in the service industry and appreciate the service. Yes, you get better service as well. Yes, 18% is added,  tip more or not, it's up to you. 

 

He's not way over thinking it. It makes perfect sense when considering the Cheers package. You only pay the gratuity on the cost, so with the drink package you may be tipping way less than usual. I tend to max out my drinks every day on the package, so I make sure to add a tip to each drink so they are actually earning something decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...