2 BR Grand Suites on Independence/Freedom/Liberty

I understand these 2 BR grand suites located in the aft of the ship were previously one larger suite (Presidential maybe)?

My question is because these suites are essentially one very large suite split into two large suites, is there an advantage of one side vs the other?  From what I can tell on Youtube, aside from the differences in the layout (for example, where the master is located), the two cabins on each aft seem similar.  The only exception is looking at the balconies for 6416 and 6716 where the port side cabin has a bar, and the starboard side cabin  has a hottub left over from the one huge balcony for when the two were one large cabin.

We stayed in what used to be called the Royal FAMILY suite twice on Freedom.

Once was during her 2nd year at sea and then again about 7 years ago. They were not formerly one suite; you may be thinking of the Villa suite that is now on Freedom that has 4 bedrooms and was converted from other cabins 

once we were on deck 8 and then on deck 9. The cabins you are referencing above are the 4 br villa. The 2 BR suites do not have a hot tub.  Neither side has an advantage over the other; deck 9 has a better view than 8. 

Deck 6 does not have a 2br Grand on Freedom

6414 is the result of the suites converted to a 4 br suite with hot tub.

Freedom has 4 of these 2 BR suites .

Make sure you are watching a YouTube that is post refurb which was 2015!!

i suspect your video is old

We are staying in one in August 

22 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Once was during her 2nd year at sea and then again about 7 years ago. They were not formerly one suite; you may be thinking of the Villa suite that is now on Freedom that has 4 bedrooms and was converted from other cabins 

once we were on deck 8 and then on deck 9. The cabins you are referencing above are the 4 br villa. The 2 BR suites do not have a hot tub.  Neither side has an advantage over the other; deck 9 has a better view than 8. 

We've also stayed a few times in the formerly named RFS on Freedom & Indy always for some reason in #9708..Enjoyed that cabin especially the large balcony..Not sure why they changed the name or that it made any difference.

I am sailing in 9708 on Indy on Saturday. It is my understanding that the only 2 bedroom cabins created from 1 larger cabin on the Independence are those on deck 6 which was previously the 4 bedroom Presidential  suite. The other 2 bedroom suites, were always 2 bedroom but were re-classified from Royal Family Suites to 2-bedroom Grand suite.

Liberty, Indy and Freedom all started out with the 4 bedroom Presidential Suite on deck 6 aft.   This is now the 4 bedroom  Villa suite on Liberty and Freedom.  On Indy it was converted into two 2 bedroom Grand Suites.

All of the other aft 2 bedroom grand suites on all 3 ships used to be called the Royal Family Suite and have not been reconfigured. 

19 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

This is the video I watched - it was posted in Dec 2018 but not sure when it was actually filmed. 

There is definitely a hottub there but no idea if it works. 

12 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

This is the video I watched - it was posted in Dec 2018 but not sure when it was actually filmed. 

There is definitely a hottub there but no idea if it works. 

Not crazy about this set up (redesign) at all...but for those that do...enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

i am sailing next week on Indy and my family booked both 6416 and 6716, two 2 bed GS which used to be one 4 bed. Hope they kept it as 4 beds.. I will leave the review when I am back. I did some research it but not much information was found and also call center don't seem to know much about these cabins!

Dear Lovetravel114,

I sailed 14-night, 29 June 2019 Independence sailing in 9708, a 2 bed GS on deck 9. The following photos are from that sailing.

It is very different from 6416 and 6716 in the video. I think may be a result of those cabins origins as the 4 bedroom Presidential suite which was then convert into 2, 2-bedroom suites. The decor and presentation of the suite in the video is definitely a step up from the current 9708 even though the cabins are the same grade. Even the entry door into the cabin in the video which seems to be same as the one used for the Royal Suite is different. I know some may not agree, but having sailed in other suites on other lines (Celebrity, Cunard, NCL) since our first sailing on Independence in 2009 in a standard GS,  this one left us underwhelmed although the amount of space we had, was very nice for the 4 of us and we did enjoy our holiday. You will find that the crew do respond quickly if you have any issues so don't hesitate to tell them or the concierge.

The food and champagne shown in the video was not offered on our sailing although we did get the bottle of Evian. The cans of coke in the inside bedroom was because we are reciprocal Diamonds due to Elite status with Celebrity and you get a boarding gift. We did get some postage stamp sized nibbles on about 3 occasions which I think coincide with formal night 

With both cabins, you will have plenty of room for your family and I would suggest that you ask them to open the partition between the balconies so you can all use it as it was originally intended with the bar and the Jacuzzi.

Word of caution. Although 9708 comes with 2 "fridges" they are not fridges but cool boxes and do not maintain temperature so a glass of orange I placed in one, went "off" in a couple of days, so check if any fridges in your cabins are real fridges or not.

Tips for your family.

Pool Towels

Sorry if you know this already. Don't check out the blue pool towels on the pool deck which are logged against your seapass and if you don't return them they will charge you $25 each at the end of the cruise. Instead, in the Suite Lounge there are pool towels next to the concierge desk. Get all the towels you want and you don't need to check them out. I dropped them off at the towel desk, but also left them behind and got new ones the next day. I also kept some in the cabin for use on the balcony.

Suite Lounge

There are food servings throughout the day but especially the lunch time spread is handy. It is the only place I found were we could help yourself to strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. Also bananas are there which only seemed to be available in the morning in Windjammer. Even though we had the deluxe beverage package, I would go the the coffee machine in the lounge because I found the coffee preferable to that available at the Promenade Cafe.

Again in the evening. Most but not all evenings, we would go for cocktails. "Captain" Kirk will hopefully be on duty and is a star. He makes some serious nightly 'medicine', I can attest to the power of them to get you off to sleep. If you are brave ask him to make you the Devil's Eye or AMF, you won't forget the experience if you finish them. We mainly gave him free rein to surprise us each evening and he never disapponted us.

Sorry we forgot to take photos of the seating area in the cabin.

Master Bedroom

image.thumb.png.59a9b7a3df2c9facfd9901c047ce4fb0.png

image.thumb.png.f2e737f7b27562b6f6d4a71f80a4f6a4.png

Master bathroom

image.thumb.png.d54ccdcf87ba4bbd110afa5012fed5bc.png

2nd Bedroom - inside, no windows, for 4 occupants with 2 Pullman beds

image.thumb.png.30433910f399a294709462213a2b7450.png

image.thumb.png.b1a139347d221b3c9ce872379d461b28.png

Shower Room

image.thumb.png.575d3253a136de98147101cc0c954369.png

Balcony

It was wet every morning I think from the window washing of the Windjammer. The rattan furniture is comfortable.

image.thumb.png.7ad2adbb09c7102ea792caf3df1c5286.png

Balcony - decking needs pressure washing

image.thumb.png.055e2eb8929e62d1bacb682c48e56323.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Teeara said:

Do you have to have a minimum number of people to book a 2 bedroom suite?

Usually, but Royal can (and does) change the minimum as needed.

Teeara

I don't know but my experience is as follows. I understand these cabins are for up to 8 people. I originally booked an Owner's suite and a inside for the 4 of us but when a 2 bed unexpectedly became available 9 days later I jumped at the chance although it resulted in  loss of the perks of the first booking. This was 5 months before sailing. There was minimal difference in monetary cost but the inside cabin came with the deluxe drinks package and Voom this was lost and replaced with a Replenishment package and no internet for the 2 boys but it was so much easier if we all travelled in the same grade cabin.

• Like 1

Dear Yorkshire-Pudding,

Thank you so much to share the information and photos with me.

I am so excited! I have done some cruises in the past but first time with RCCL and first 3 generations cruise,

so try to study as much as I can before going on board.

Tips on the towel very useful, actually was thinking about packing up the bulky ones but now all sorted, and I hope 

I can get some help from 'captain' kirk for my good night sleep.

I will later post some question for the cruise, and will be greatly appreciate if you could share some more tips with me. Xx

5 hours ago, Teeara said:

Do you have to have a minimum number of people to book a 2 bedroom suite?

Booked two of 2BR this time, one cabin for 3 people and another with 4 people and had no issue.

I think it is more of maximum people rather than minimum. When I tried to book these cabins first time,

each 2BR cabin only allowed 2 people as maximum, so I gave up on this sailing and suddenly it allowed

3 and 4 people, so I booked. 

Lovetravel1114,

I would be more than happy to assist. Of the 7 cruises we have completed, 4 have been multi-generational with my DH, DS, MiL and niece, ranging in age on the last one from 18 to 88. We find cruising was always the best way to meet everyone's needs because it offers so much variety. We would just promise dinner together every evening and breakfast when tours permitted. Unfortunately, my MiL is now too ill to travel and our last cruise 2018 on Celebrity is likely her last holiday ever.

• Like 1