Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
NCteacherlovescruising

What to do night before cruise? Staying in Jersey City

Recommended Posts

We will have a 9.5 - 10 hour drive from Charlotte the day before our cruise. I think we will be staying at the Westin Jersey City.  By the time we check in and eat dinner, I’m guessing it will be at least 6 or so. What could we easily get to from there?  My husband mentioned possibly seeing the 911 Memorial. I see we would have to arrive by 6 if we wanted to see the museum. Is it worth rushing there for?  And how long would it take to get there from our hotel?  What other options will we have?  After riding in our car all day, I don’t want to just sit in our room and my husband won’t want to shop.  If he did, I’d just stay in Elizabeth and hit the outlet mall. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can  visit the 9/11 Memorial without the museum; go to the top of the Freedom Tower; visit the Oculus. All are next to each other. The ferry to JC right there. O

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spend a few minutes looking at the NYC skyline. It's beautiful at night. 

 

Take a PATH into NYC & wander around.  Do not try to drive in.  You will pay a fortune to park 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I see we would have to arrive by 6 if we wanted to see the museum.

You would have to get up awfully early in the morning to get to the museum for a 6pm cutoff. Once you get to Jersey City and check in it will take you at least 45 minutes to get on the PATH and over to the memorial. You'd need to arrive at your hotel around 4:45pm to make that work and even then you'd be rushing. 

 

As others have mentioned, you can see the memorial at any time of night without having to visit the museum. The downtown area you'll be in has gotten much better in recent years in terms of dinner options but isn't as vibrant from a food and drink standpoint after office hours as it is further uptown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

You can  visit the 9/11 Memorial without the museum; go to the top of the Freedom Tower; visit the Oculus. All are next to each other. The ferry to JC right there. O

 

 

 

2 hours ago, trish1c said:

Spend a few minutes looking at the NYC skyline. It's beautiful at night. 

 

Take a PATH into NYC & wander around.  Do not try to drive in.  You will pay a fortune to park 

 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

You would have to get up awfully early in the morning to get to the museum for a 6pm cutoff. Once you get to Jersey City and check in it will take you at least 45 minutes to get on the PATH and over to the memorial. You'd need to arrive at your hotel around 4:45pm to make that work and even then you'd be rushing. 

 

As others have mentioned, you can see the memorial at any time of night without having to visit the museum. The downtown area you'll be in has gotten much better in recent years in terms of dinner options but isn't as vibrant from a food and drink standpoint after office hours as it is further uptown. 

That's a good point.  I don't want to wear myself out right before our cruise.  Maybe we should reconsider trying to visit NYC with such little time, and just have a leisurely drive Saturday.  I lived in NY for several years, long ago, so I have been there numerous times.  Now I'm second guessing staying in Jersey City, perhaps Elizabeth would be the better choice.  It is a little closer to home and I could probably talk dh into walking around the outlet mall.  If we do stay at the Westin, is there a place we could sit outside and drink a bottle of our own wine while viewing the skyline?  I don't know the liquor laws there.  One thing is certain, if we stay there I have to try Brownstone Diner.  It looks delicious!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It is a little closer to home and I could probably talk dh into walking around

You could stay at the W Hoboken-- would be a great area to walk around at night with a number of restaurants, bars, and waterfront. And to answer the liquor laws questions-- outdoors drinking is not only legal, its highly encouraged. Drink up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is the link to the PATH weekend ferry process from Exchange Place to Lower Manhattan with all the details about how it works.  Last ferry is 11:30 pm. https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-path-weekend-closures.html

You can also take the Hudson Bergen light rail a block+ away from the Newport stop behind the Mall (pedestrian cut through from Washington St) to Exchange Place for $2.25 (Senior fare available) 

 

For an easier trip, you can walk to the Newport PATH Station from the Westin and ride to 33rd & 6th in midtown.  Easy walk up Broadway to Times Square and option to go up the Empire State among other things to do in midtown.

 

The entire Jersey City waterfront is a walkway.  http://hudsonriverwaterfront.org/map/map4.html

I’m sure you can find some place to sit and drink your wine.  If you want to shop, there’s Newport Mall up the street.

Edited by 138east

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would stay in Jersey City or Hoboken. Your ride up will be tiring. I’ve done it several times. The last thing you’re going to feel like doing is going to a mall. At least if you’re not up to coming over to Manhattan you’ll still have the view to enjoy. It will make the ride worthwhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried booking the Westin this afternoon, but the Marriott website was down.  I just tried again and now they have raised the points on this hotel.  Instead of costing us all our points plus $12.50, now it would cost an additional $37.50.  😥  I just don't know that it's worth it as late as we will get there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...