Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, mkdreams said:

Here is a tip for everyone, mind your business and tip as you wish.

 

That is exactly what I was thinking. 😄 LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bitemyfly said:

I have always tipped thru auto tipp 

That or at least put a giant blinking sign for one line stating - tip removal.. and broadcast to a tv channel 

I don’t think anyone would care. Actually it’s possible the line would be longer as some people don’t know and they would be advertising it could be done. 

 

I think this is a bigger issue than we think - there are more people off this thread and platform that couldn’t care less what people think. 

9 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

If anything, it’s not the young kids barely making minimum wage who are removing tips. In fact, that demographic is one of the most generous tippers.

 

Young people are spending money that most of the time is not theirs. I am happy they are generous tippers but they will grow up one day and have to spend their own money. Their debt catches up like their student loans. 

 

 

Bottom line - why don’t the cruise line care about their staff that we all agree are from poor areas of the world looking to make a buck from slave labor. Shame on them...shame on them more than the people who removed their gratuities!!  These are Fortune 500 companies that boast billions of dollars in revenue. Forget the plastic straws and treat people the way they should!! 

Edited by Stick93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

 

Young people are spending money that most of the time is not theirs. I am happy they are generous tippers but they will grow up one day and have to spend their own money. Their debt catches up like their student loans. 

What a ridiculous blanket statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

What a ridiculous blanket statement. 

You could post this over on the current Heavy and Hot thread and it would fit right in. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

What a ridiculous blanket statement. 

Might be a bit over the top - but I don’t think it’s a stretch. Young people live in la la land. 

 

Lighten up - the blame is really on the cruise companies! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stick93 said:

 

Young people are spending money that most of the time is not theirs. I am happy they are generous tippers but they will grow up one day and have to spend their own money. Their debt catches up like their student loans. 

 

 

 

No, no, no - Haven't you heard?  Bernie Sanders is cancelling student loan debt!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I've never removed tips myself because I feel it's tacky, the problem is the overall format of the gratuities in the way it's presented. To have a flat fee and barely explain what it goes to (unless you seek out to find exactly how it's distributed and broken down) and then lump it into a large amount on the final day of the cruise, that's not a smart way of delivery for a company with a big budget and record of good marketing skills.

 

Other cruise lines make the charge daily, which helps somewhat, but the lump charge not broken down is still a big problem. Where other industries, and indeed even the cruise industry to an extent is going more and more a la carte, breaking out the gratuities by person/department should be the next evolution, and may help with this issue. At least getting the money to where it is deserved AND earned. For example, I don't dine in the MDR some nights, so might be nice to remove or reduce the service charge for that portion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Young people are spending money that most of the time is not theirs. I am happy they are generous tippers but they will grow up one day and have to spend their own money. Their debt catches up like their student loans. 

 

Um, wow... I am a millennial (often time, regrettably so), but I take my 5-10 cruises every year with my EARNED money thank you, and while I may not agree with the generational mindset of many of my peers, your statement hardly rings true. Everything is relative and everyone's situation is different, so broad generalizations like that do nothing to speak to the mindset of an entire generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AllAboardatSea said:

I don't dine in the MDR some nights, so might be nice to remove or reduce the service charge for that portion.

Some food for thought, pun intended: Where do you dine these nights? The MDR servers are rotated by their managers to work the dinner shifts in the Lido Buffet. Your full participation in the gratuities compensates the service employees regardless of where you choose to dine. Some of the gratuities are also shared with kitchen crew members who clean and stock the plates, silverware and drinking cups we use in the buffet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xDisconnections said:

You can’t be serious.

 

I think the millennial above actually backed me up on this. 

 

I don't have to serious this is cruise critic - we get to share our opinions and my opinion is what I said. 

 

But I ask again why is nobody blaming the cruise line for this inequality in treatment to their staff. Holding the mighty gratuities over their head. Do your job and if people want they can withhold payment. Nice system they have set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

But I ask again why is nobody blaming the cruise line for this inequality in treatment to their staff. Holding the mighty gratuities over their head. Do your job and if people want they can withhold payment. Nice system they have set up. 

It's about how money hits Carnival's bottom line. There, I said it. As long as Carnival has this non-mandatory agreement in place it is part of a contract between the tipped crew and we their guests only. If Carnival changes this practice and rolls gratuities into the cruise fare they have to pay payroll taxes on that portion paid as salary to the employees as it is now in the contract between the employee and Carnival.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

It's about how money hits Carnival's bottom line. There, I said it. As long as Carnival has this non-mandatory agreement in place it is part of a contract between the tipped crew and we their guests only. If Carnival changes this practice and rolls gratuities into the cruise fare they have to pay payroll taxes on that portion paid as salary to the employees as it is now in the contract between the employee and Carnival.  

 

I am no tax maven but these people don’t work in America. The ships are registered to different ports as it makes sure that they are not bound by American labor laws and taxes. They may work for an American company but not in America. 

 

If they were American workers they would be entitled to higher wages, overtime, workers comp and unemployment.   

 

Do the workers who make iPhones in China pay taxes here?? 

 

Edited by Stick93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

 

They may work for an American company but not in America. 

 

According to the 10K, Carnival Corporation is incorporated in Panama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, CruiseRonJulie said:

I think it is time for Carnival to make it near impossible to remove the gratuities. I have read all of the excuses people give and I believe they are just looking for a reason to not tip:

1. The crew doesn't get the tips (do you really think that after all this time, we would not have heard this?0

2. I like to tip in cash (yeah, and I am sure you track down the laundry people and those at the Lido Buffet to tip them)

3. I think tipping should not be mandated

4. Insert another reason here:  the crew doesn't speak English, I didn't get a chocolate on my pillow, I only got a Lanyard, etc.

 

Please if you are just looking for a way to stiff the crew, be honest and just say "I want to keep my $14.00.

 

So, you’re basically saying that we should stop pretending that tips are tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AllAboardatSea said:

While I've never removed tips myself because I feel it's tacky, the problem is the overall format of the gratuities in the way it's presented. To have a flat fee and barely explain what it goes to (unless you seek out to find exactly how it's distributed and broken down) and then lump it into a large amount on the final day of the cruise, that's not a smart way of delivery for a company with a big budget and record of good marketing skills.

 

Other cruise lines make the charge daily, which helps somewhat, but the lump charge not broken down is still a big problem. Where other industries, and indeed even the cruise industry to an extent is going more and more a la carte, breaking out the gratuities by person/department should be the next evolution, and may help with this issue. At least getting the money to where it is deserved AND earned. For example, I don't dine in the MDR some nights, so might be nice to remove or reduce the service charge for that portion.

But you eat somewhere, and wherever that is, there is someone making your food and serving you your food. To break out tips by each venue is ridiculous and not cost effective. The Carnival site gives you a more than adequate break out of how the tips are dispersed. I don't see you asking how the tip distribution is done be a part of every bill you have to pay in every restaurant you use on land. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always tip more then reccomended, we figure the tips are all part of the price of the vacation. Lord knows they deserve a good tip. Sure there might be some "not so dedicated" employees, but 95% of them cater to your every need. imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, jbethel11 said:

Suppose my argument is, "I just didn't like the service given to me." What would be your counter? Following, as this will get heated. 

If you don't like the service given to you go to Guest services and report the person that gave you bad service.  Don't punish the 99.9% of the staff that give you good service for the bad service of the one person that gave you bad service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 1:34 PM, Saint Greg said:

 

I would think most are too embarrassed to admit it. You do see some on here. I've heard them talk about it on the ship. One guy I met in the Sports Bar was really proud of it. Same guy was getting girls drinks on his Cheers program. 

I was at the water slides watching my 3 kids.  The lady behind me aproached me and told me she had gone to guest services and had the tips removed for her kids and that I should do the same.  I was stunned that someone would not only remove tips, but would actively campaign for others to remove tips.  My kids make a mess.  I tip my room steward extra.  I think there should be a plank off the back of the ship that all the tip removers should have to walk off when the ship is at it's furthest point from land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just look at the auto-grats as part of the cruise cost. Its not an optional thing in my mind. 

 

What I tip in person is optional. Bartenders, room steward..if they do a good job(and they always do), I gladly tip them extra. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We never remove our "gratuities", we just consider them part of the fare.....but lets call them what they are, Service Charges, not tips, not gratuities. Ive never gone into a restaurant and handed out tips to the chef and dishwasher. Ive given it to my server. Ive also never given them a tip and said now make sure you share this with the chef, dishwasher oh, and person that cleans the dining room before you open.

 

Years ago before I started my career I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen. Not once did I ever get a share of the waiter/waitresses tips. I also never saw them passed out to the head chef, sous chef for dessert person.

 

If Carnival, or any other line, would pay their employees a proper wage then these "gratuities" could go away and people could tip those that directly give them a service over and above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dltvermont said:

We never remove our "gratuities", we just consider them part of the fare.....but lets call them what they are, Service Charges, not tips, not gratuities. Ive never gone into a restaurant and handed out tips to the chef and dishwasher. Ive given it to my server. Ive also never given them a tip and said now make sure you share this with the chef, dishwasher oh, and person that cleans the dining room before you open.

 

Years ago before I started my career I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen. Not once did I ever get a share of the waiter/waitresses tips. I also never saw them passed out to the head chef, sous chef for dessert person.

 

If Carnival, or any other line, would pay their employees a proper wage then these "gratuities" could go away and people could tip those that directly give them a service over and above.

 

 

I think that's the gist of the original post- they're not really tips, they're supposed to be paid, so don't game the system just because it's "optional."  I hate that tipping has almost become mandatory- when you go to a restaurant, if you don't tip, you're not hurting the restaurant, you're hurting someone making under minimum wage because it is assumed they'll be tipped.  Even if I get terrible service, I don't feel right tipping nothing- less, sure, but nothing, that's not my choice. 

 

On  a cruise, it's hard to explain to first time cruisers, that they're not really just tipping the people they see face to face, but people behind the scenes.  And I think that complicates things.  Because, like you said, you don't do that on land- when I've tried, to explain it to people (when asked, I don't just go around spouting cruise advice), some people get the impression it's a scam by the cruise lines, and experienced cruisers wouldn't fall for it.  

 

If Carnival were to make gratuities included in the cruise fare, well all of a sudden, they're not the cheapest cruise line around.  And they can't advertise you that you can go on vacation and see the world for $30 a day (or whatever).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skridge said:

I was at the water slides watching my 3 kids.  The lady behind me aproached me and told me she had gone to guest services and had the tips removed for her kids and that I should do the same.  I was stunned that someone would not only remove tips, but would actively campaign for others to remove tips.  My kids make a mess.  I tip my room steward extra.  I think there should be a plank off the back of the ship that all the tip removers should have to walk off when the ship is at it's furthest point from land.

My bad tablemate was doing the same thing.  "You will never see them again"...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dltvermont said:

We never remove our "gratuities", we just consider them part of the fare.....but lets call them what they are, Service Charges, not tips, not gratuities. Ive never gone into a restaurant and handed out tips to the chef and dishwasher. Ive given it to my server. Ive also never given them a tip and said now make sure you share this with the chef, dishwasher oh, and person that cleans the dining room before you open.

 

Years ago before I started my career I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen. Not once did I ever get a share of the waiter/waitresses tips. I also never saw them passed out to the head chef, sous chef for dessert person.

 

If Carnival, or any other line, would pay their employees a proper wage then these "gratuities" could go away and people could tip those that directly give them a service over and above.

Your server tips out the dishwasher, busser,  bartender, expeditor, etc.  On ship, if the auto grats are removed, the crew tips out those "behind the scences".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AllAboardatSea said:

While I've never removed tips myself because I feel it's tacky, the problem is the overall format of the gratuities in the way it's presented. To have a flat fee and barely explain what it goes to (unless you seek out to find exactly how it's distributed and broken down) and then lump it into a large amount on the final day of the cruise, that's not a smart way of delivery for a company with a big budget and record of good marketing skills.

 

Other cruise lines make the charge daily, which helps somewhat, but the lump charge not broken down is still a big problem. Where other industries, and indeed even the cruise industry to an extent is going more and more a la carte, breaking out the gratuities by person/department should be the next evolution, and may help with this issue. At least getting the money to where it is deserved AND earned. For example, I don't dine in the MDR some nights, so might be nice to remove or reduce the service charge for that portion.

All the cruise lines post the breakdowns as to who get what.  The crew that works in the MDR at night also works the Lido or MDR  for breakfast/lunch/brunch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...