Millennium NB Alaska Cruise Review 6/7/19

plagmah

Enjoyed your review! Thanks.  Your pictures of Hubbard are some of the best I have seen.  We are doing Millenium SB in a few weeks, so I especially enjoyed reading about what we will be experiencing.  Nicely done.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Great review, concise, great tips and pics. You all look like a fun family from your pics and review. I’m going on cruise tour 8 B July 20 and SB Cruise July 26 on Millie. First time on her, 3rd cruise to Alaska. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Very nicely done. I took a couple of those rain sleeves even though going in May. Only day I used it was day b4 cruise (May23) on a 4 hr Orca watch out of Seward. Came in handy due to a short fairly hard rain while onboard Orca Song.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Great review and love the pictures!  We have the SB booked next year on Millie.  Could you please tell me what balcony cabin you had?  Thanks!

We were in 9009.  Forward port side.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your review , it's very helpful. this cruise is in my bucket for 2021, I will go with my University friends, will celebrate 45 years of Graduation. This September going to Hawaii in the Eclipse.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.  We are doing SB on Millie in 2 months.  Our third Alaska trip, but the other two have been more land-intensive, followed by some ship time.  This time all water.  Great idea for a rain sleeve...my spouse is ordering one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rushedmom said:

Great review love the pictures! Can you tell me about dressing for dinner? Dress pants for women or dresses? How fancy was “chic” night for men and women? 

The dining room was very casual on all nights. Chic nights my wife wore a skirt. Lots of pants on women too.  Only 1-2 tables dressed up. (1 was a wedding party). Men in dockers and button down shirts. Even some polo shirts. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moneeman said:

Enjoyed your review! Thanks.  Your pictures of Hubbard are some of the best I have seen.  We are doing Millenium SB in a few weeks, so I especially enjoyed reading about what we will be experiencing.  Nicely done.  Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words.  Capt Theo got us very close.  Even the crew commented that it was an amazing day.  With the bright sun, Calving was non stop.  Sounded like thunder and then "Splash" and the wave coming towards the ship.  I am still in Awe....

Have a question, did you use the Celebrity App to communicate with each other? If so do you put your phone on airplane mode so as not to pick up phone calls and test and incur charges there? I do not have much knowledge of how electronics work. Thanks

16 minutes ago, cherun said:

Have a question, did you use the Celebrity App to communicate with each other? If so do you put your phone on airplane mode so as not to pick up phone calls and test and incur charges there? I do not have much knowledge of how electronics work. Thanks

Yes we did use the app to communicate. We left our phones in airplane mode at sea. The app is nice but it will drop off the network when your phone sleeps. Therefore you have to keep your phone out  for messages.  

We would check our messages every hour or so and it worked. 

The best part of app is the list of activities. It keeps track of the things you want to do. Even reminds you of dinner reservations.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, musik07 said:

Do you happen to have any pictures of the inside cabin?  My mom and I are in one on Aug. 2 unless we score a move up or the prices drop a bit more. 

Here are some photos of our 2 inside cabins. We truly appreciated the balcony and if you can upgrade it might be worth it. Glacier day was amazing.

_DSC4474.JPG

_DSC4475.JPG

_DSC4476.JPG

_DSC4477.JPG

_DSC4471.JPG

_DSC4473.JPG

The new renovations are gorgeous. My cousin and I have a handicap accessible on deck 7. Thanks for the info on the lenses. I'm bringing my nikon 7100 and 2 lenses, 16-300 (wide angle and misc) and just got 100-400. Hoping for some bear pics! Going to Neets Bay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, linstadt said:

The new renovations are gorgeous. My cousin and I have a handicap accessible on deck 7. Thanks for the info on the lenses. I'm bringing my nikon 7100 and 2 lenses, 16-300 (wide angle and misc) and just got 100-400. Hoping for some bear pics! Going to Neets Bay.

How are you getting to Needs Bay?

4 hours ago, linstadt said:

We saw a lot of bears in dandelion fields in Skagway. Amazing. 

42463C40-7605-4C86-BFC0-B4547257132A.jpeg

23 hours ago, plagmah said:

Here are some photos of our 2 inside cabins. We truly appreciated the balcony and if you can upgrade it might be worth it. Glacier day was amazing.

Thanks. The upgrades look amazing. Right now (while prices have dropped across the board), we would still be paying about 1500 more for a balcony so it won't be happening. We are going to bid on a balcony at some point with the move up thing, but I think we will wait until a bit closer. Hoping when the sale is over tonight prices will change. 

18 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

How are you getting to Needs Bay?

I'm on a shore excursion from ship, via floatplane. It's not on the list of excursions any more (at least a few days ago) but they also have one by boat. I don't believe you get out of the boat on this one. The floatplane one, which I hope is the same one I did before, we get out of plane and walk the paths to the stream where the salmon are running. There is a platform just a tad above the stream, you are there with the bears. Walking back to the plane, you see trees where the sap is running from the bears scratching the bark, their sleeping areas, old boat, I loved it!!! Just hope it hasn't changed from what I remember.

• Thanks 1