Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
dpostman

Wines Around the World Tasting Class - Brilliance Baltic Cruise

I just noticed this as available in my planner for our August Cruise.  Probably was there before but did not notice.  Price is cheap, and only found a few references to it doing a search of the forum and the most recent mention was from last year.

It mentions it is in the MDR, but was hoping for a more intimate venue.  I'm hoping that since this is during a Baltic cruise, am I safe to assume that some of the cheese and snacks served with the wines will originate from Europe, and not serve Velveeta and Cracker Barrel 😉

It is during a sea day.  My wife and I already have the DBP and I guess I could get better wines at vintages, but just for the fun of it and since price is cheap, I thought we'd join in and meet other guests that also like wine.

If this activity is just so-so or even just a bit worth it, I'm ok with that.  But if you think it is totally useless and they only serve cheap cheese and corner store wines, then maybe we'll pass.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

dp

PS, We also booked for Chef's Table... my expectations are a bit higher for that event 😉

I doubt that the wines will be any different than what they normally have in stock. 

27 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

How much is the activity 

$23.50 CAD... so just under $18 USD

dp

5 minutes ago, dpostman said:

dp

Not sure if Brilliance still has a Vintages, but if it does, I suggest you go there and ask if they can create a wine flight for your taste.  I think you will enjoy that more than the dining room wine tasting.  You will have some say in the wine selection.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Not sure if Brilliance still has a Vintages, but if it does, I suggest you go there and ask if they can create a wine flight for your taste.  I think you will enjoy that more than the dining room wine tasting.  You will have some say in the wine selection.

Good Idea,  I'll probably do that as well on other sea days 😁

dp

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not sure if Brilliance still has a Vintages...

Just checked the deck plans I have for Brilliance April 2018+ and Vintages is still listed and located next to Schooner Bars, close to the Mid Elevator bank on Deck 6.

dp

4 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Just checked the deck plans I have for Brilliance April 2018+ and Vintages is still listed and located next to Schooner Bars, close to the Mid Elevator bank on Deck 6.

dp

That's great, it's a popular place to sit and enjoy the outside view too.

1 hour ago, dpostman said:

I just noticed this as available in my planner for our August Cruise.  Probably was there before but did not notice.  Price is cheap, and only found a few references to it doing a search of the forum and the most recent mention was from last year.

It mentions it is in the MDR, but was hoping for a more intimate venue.  I'm hoping that since this is during a Baltic cruise, am I safe to assume that some of the cheese and snacks served with the wines will originate from Europe, and not serve Velveeta and Cracker Barrel 😉

It is during a sea day.  My wife and I already have the DBP and I guess I could get better wines at vintages, but just for the fun of it and since price is cheap, I thought we'd join in and meet other guests that also like wine.

If this activity is just so-so or even just a bit worth it, I'm ok with that.  But if you think it is totally useless and they only serve cheap cheese and corner store wines, then maybe we'll pass.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

dp

PS, We also booked for Chef's Table... my expectations are a bit higher for that event 😉

For $17, it's a steal (at least that's the price on our upcoming cruise). Done this before. No worries, the cheese selections we had was a camembert, bleu, chaumes, emmental if I remember right, and quite a few more. Also on the tray was almonds, even chocolate covered ones. Matter of fact, we had more wines than advertised (perhaps at least two more). I promise, no velveeta or cheap stuff. It was a great presentation sampling - and the pours were rather generous. Do it!

We did this on the Baltic cruise last month.  Had also done it in February in the Caribbean. Wines are tasty. The sommelier on the Baltic  did not have us taste the cheese and fruit with the wine. It was held in the MDR.  

2 hours ago, dpostman said:

dp

Nice way to kill an afternoon,  plus you might meet new folks

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Nice way to kill an afternoon,  plus you might meet new folks

This is my line of thought.  Plus, If we learn/discover a few things about wine, or cheese for that matter... All the better.

dp

Doing this on our Brilliance cruise that leaves next week. I figure for $17/person, it's worth an hour of my time. It might not be great booze, but I'm sure it will be enjoyable at least.

We did a similar wine tasting experience a couple of years ago on Oasis.  It was in one of the dining rooms but during the day when the dining rooms were closed so it was very quiet.  We tasted several different wines with cheese pairings for each one.  It was very well presented and we learned quite a bit as well.   I noticed they have a wines around the world tasting on our upcoming Harmony cruise and we are planning on doing that since we had such a good experience on the Oasis experience.

26 minutes ago, orkaren1 said:

We did a similar wine tasting experience a couple of years ago on Oasis.  It was in one of the dining rooms but during the day when the dining rooms were closed so it was very quiet.  We tasted several different wines with cheese pairings for each one.  It was very well presented and we learned quite a bit as well.   I noticed they have a wines around the world tasting on our upcoming Harmony cruise and we are planning on doing that since we had such a good experience on the Oasis experience.

Thanks.  Ours is also set for 3pm so MDR should be relatively quiet during that time.

dp