Baltic , Norway , Iceland and the U.K. on the Zuiderdam 2019 with photos

18 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I could see the midges in your video! I will stick with lambs, whales and puffins, thank you.

That was the only place that we had them and when the wind blew they stopped . We were fortunate since we heard that there was an outbreak of the biting midges that we missed . I'm thinking of the no see ums that we get here in Florida .

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2019/06/18/biting_midges_attack_early_this_year/

Edited by scubacruiserx2

3 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

That was the only place that we had them and when the wind blew they stopped . We were fortunate since we heard that there was an outbreak of the biting midges that we missed . I'm thinking of the no see ums that we get here in Florida .

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2019/06/18/biting_midges_attack_early_this_year/

Ewww. Biting midges. Sounds like the No See’ems on Cape Cod.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:17 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

Even though I prefer the font you have trouble reading, chances are, if you would have used the "Magic Word", your wish would have already been granted.

That is, "if you can see your way" to ask nicely.

It is clear that the kindness in my heart when I made that request did not transfer well to my post.  I am sad that you misread me.  Please feel free to return to your script.  I will not bother you again. 

Even though I prefer the font you have trouble reading, chances are, if you would have used the "Magic Word", your wish would have already been granted.

It is clear that the kindness in my heart when I made that request did not transfer well to my post.  I am sad that you misread me.  Please feel free to return to your script.  I will not bother you again. 

Our last stop was at Bessa's farm

The surroundings are beautiful

IMG_6249%202_zpsa8c0lfp4.jpg

A  Redshank on the post

IMG_6247%203_zpsaod63nud.jpg

DSC00647_zpsukjbl5bi.jpg

Eider Duck on the nest

IMG_6244%203_zpsiln3rpgt.jpg

off the nest

IMG_6237%202_zpsb7eu95nw.jpg

and in the field playing catch up

IMG_6245%202_zps2xmcfgy6.jpg

The down drying room where Bessa and her husband save the down for sale to Germany or Japan

DSC00651_zpsxnabgrhy.jpg

A rooster and his hens

Icelandic National Day in the city

DSC00659_zpseqkfwdm5.jpg

IMG_6258%202_zpsu9wh3aom.jpg

IMG_6254%202_zpsw01dchhe.jpg

DSC08668%203_zpsd0ugdpxq.jpg

Bessa is the B in B S Tours and she did a fantastic job and we would highly recommend her for a small tour .  Her husband handles the larger tours .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

DSC00514_zpstfm4jzbz.jpg

The wind came up a little bit for the ride back to the ship

It was fun to watch the tenders in recovery mode

IMG_6259%202_zpsy9ml4qau.jpg

The Captain said that after dinner we would be sailing into the fjord that we had visited with Bessa

earlier .

DSC08676%202_zpsjemvkzza.jpg

DSC08688%202_zps7efzg3pp.jpg

Lobsterilla paid us a visit in our room

DSC08692%203_zpscppbuu62.jpg

Scenic fjord cruising

IMG_6261%202_zpskltvlyx7.jpg

IMG_6264%202_zpsmbrm0atc.jpg

IMG_6266%202_zpscbo8zeik.jpg

There were a couple of events that we missed on the ship . The night before we went to Isafordur they had the Polar Bear Plunge at 22:00 when we crossed into the Arctic Circle . When we were in Antarctica in January , we were on time for the plunge , but they had it early and so we missed it there also . They also had fish and chips at the Lido which had just closed after we returned to the Zuiderdam . We vowed to have some soon .

The Where and When for Reykjavik

DSC08715%202_zpsoixq46v9.jpg

DSC08717%202_zpsckjxqnqw.jpg

With an overnight in Reykjavik and the Midnight Sun we hoped to go to the glacier lagoon about 5 hours away but we couldn't find a guide that would take would take us there , so we settled for the South Shore . It was kinda bumpy coming in .

IMG_0601%202_zpsxkhzlcaw.jpg

IMG_6271%202_zpsmgt2i6vj.jpg

We felt a little awkward after meeting Jens ( My name is Yens ) . Because we were the only passengers in a 19 passenger vehicle  , we sat near Jens but he talked to us with a microphone and a PA system.

IMG_6280%202_zpsoijml0sj.jpg

We stopped here for a look at a glacier

IMG_6281%202_zpszwjw9r8f.jpg

IMG_0607%202_zpsyhfhvw6j.jpg

IMG_6295%202_zpskotr8qmh.jpg

I was on the 14 day part of this cruise (Copenhagen to Copenhagen) and I love reliving the parts that we also went to. We had a private tour in Akureyri also and thankfully got away before the buses. We were able to see the rainbow in the waterfall and passed the masses as we were walking back down. Dewan was our cabin steward and he was wonderful! Thank you for sharing your pictures!

28 minutes ago, AnnieBelle said:

I was on the 14 day part of this cruise (Copenhagen to Copenhagen) and I love reliving the parts that we also went to. We had a private tour in Akureyri also and thankfully got away before the buses. We were able to see the rainbow in the waterfall and passed the masses as we were walking back down. Dewan was our cabin steward and he was wonderful! Thank you for sharing your pictures!

Cool , we hope that enjoyed the cruise as much as we did . Photos do bring back the memories .

Heading back to the car park

IMG_6417%202_zpstrmqx2y9.jpg

IMG_6418%202_zpshehrnzus.jpg

IMG_6451%202_zpsese8zeva.jpg

Next stop

IMG_6454%202_zps3oh1wcyd.jpg

An overview of Vik

IMG_6460%202_zpsluzkgs11.jpg

From here

IMG_6470%202_zps7zdwjpwm.jpg

They seemed to have these stores at all of the ports . We stopped at a large one in Vik with a place eat . We tried the fish and chips and lamb soup .

DSC08725%202_zpslrrjdaif.jpg

Our next stop was Solheimajokull Glacier

IMG_6481%203_zpssuhc1aob.jpg

It's between 2 volcanoes so it has a lot of the residue on it's surface giving it a black appearance

IMG_6484%202_zps7suj1kbq.jpg

It's about a 15 minute hike from the road

IMG_6486%202_zpsswy8ph1v.jpg

Size wise you can see it's height in relation to the people . It's about 5 miles long , 1 mile wide and currently retreating .

From 1930 to 1969, the glacier retreated in total around 977 m. Then the weather cooled and the glacier advanced forward about 495 m until 1995, and also thickened by up to 100 m.

https://www.extremeiceland.is/en/destinations/south-iceland/glacier-hiking

IMG_6489%202_zpsedxuucc0.jpg

IMG_6514%202_zpshe5afgap.jpg

Our point of reference for glaciers is Perito Moreno . 19 miles long , 2.5 miles wide and over 200 ' tall  . It's Blue and advancing.

IMG_0111-002_zps25cde17a.jpg

IMG_3031-002_zps702d70f0.jpg

IMG_0097-001_zps8e1abefa.jpg

DSC03298_zpsgotldyc5.jpg

It feels alive because you can hear it creaking , cracking and groaning as it calves

IMG_0089-001_zpseca17cb7.jpg

IMG_6643_zpswlndznkr.jpg

IMG_6644_zpssbsfur6p.jpg

You can also take a cruise that will get you very close to the ice .

IMG_7746_zpsbiurbvwd.jpg

IMG_7891_zpss6wj1a1x.jpg

IMG_8157%20-%20Copy_zpsn21h2air.jpg

If you would like to read or see more , here's the link :

We did make a quick photo stop here but didn't cross the fence

IMG_6525%203_zpsubtgszau.jpg

IMG_6528%202_zpsuaa3tuxg.jpg

Seljalandfoss falls about 200'

IMG_6539%202_zpsktdfxd7u.jpg

IMG_6549%202_zpsry9n4aky.jpg

There is a path to the right where some folks walked behind the waterfall . We didn't .

IMG_6550%202_zpsb6uxipog.jpg

Video clip :

IMG_6556%202_zpsaz3sdecd.jpg

IMG_6574%202_zps6enmvt4q.jpg

IMG_6566%202_zpstadcrapw.jpg

I did want to try to blur the water falling which is really hard to do without a tripod

IMG_6569%202_zpsr4z14oc9.jpg

IMG_6579%202_zps4ejntwlw.jpg

Yet another video clip . Look for the midge that photobombs us at the end .

The best photo that I have seen from behind the falls comes from wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seljalandsfoss

Seljalandsfoss_Suethurland_Islandia_2014

Earlier we had  stopped  for lunch in Vik, at the Ice Cave, and as we left it really started to rain. The heavy rain continued to the overlook at Dyrholaey , in search of puffins, but we did not make it to the lighthouse (which we had specifically requested  and agreed upon when booking).  Our next stops were  the glacier and the waterfall  before heading back. It was a long day and covered a lot of ground. 

Edited by scubacruiserx2