Cruise Critic Community
FlyerTalker

BoSox and the Crystal Skye

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I don't think this is what Edie had planned.....

I know you’re probably kidding, but that’s EXACTLY what Genting had planned.  😀

Vince

I hate to say “I told you so,” but you’ll remember I called out the plane’s intended use in my world (event management and group travel) from day 1 when they were negotiating specific planes and hadn’t yet announced the AirCruises yet!

Vince

Someone please remind me if there is more than one plane in Crystal's "fleet". Seems like I remember there was a big one and a smaller one, but not sure. Vince, or someone else in the know, how frequently would the plane(s) have to be used to break even?

Patty 

On 6/26/2019 at 8:23 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I don't think this is what Edie had planned.....

You think she's a Yankee fan? 🤣

7 hours ago, May B said:

You think she's a Yankee fan? 🤣

I know who I am rooting for when they play today.

Go Yankees.  

Keith

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Someone please remind me if there is more than one plane in Crystal's "fleet". Seems like I remember there was a big one and a smaller one, but not sure. Vince, or someone else in the know, how frequently would the plane(s) have to be used to break even?

Probably the closest answer we can give is, “a lot.”  It mostly depends on the mission it’s designed to support, and in this case Genting bought it to support premium group business for RW, which is a market that can more than pay for a charter plane sitting around a good bit if it helps them secure more premium groups that spend heavily in other departments.  That said, every day that Genting doesn’t need it, the plane costs money to sit around, so it does as many charters as are feasible.  The AirCruises were designed as another day job on the charter side to help fill its time in service.  

I think if it wasn’t earning its keep it would have been gone long before now, but the true value to RW is hard to measure from the outside.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 5:35 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Patty 

According to this - they also have a 12 passenger plane: https://www.crystalcruises.com/luxury-air 

Edited to say this is: Crystal Luxury Air is operated by Corporate Flight Management, Inc. So they probably don't own this.

Isn't Crystal getting out of this business? These are for sale, right?

Didn't they remove a lot of this from their website, well, at least their home page.

Edited by Coral

20 hours ago, Coral said:

According to this - they also have a 12 passenger plane: https://www.crystalcruises.com/luxury-air 

Edited to say this is: Crystal Luxury Air is operated by Corporate Flight Management, Inc. So they probably don't own this.

Isn't Crystal getting out of this business? These are for sale, right?

Didn't they remove a lot of this from their website, well, at least their home page.

Crystal isn’t an airline so they technically need certified operators to actually operate the air components.  Last time I looked separate companies operated the small jets from the 777...  I think Comlux on the 777 and Corporate Flight Management as you pointed out on the small planes.

Crystal’s Miami office got out of marketing the AirCruises to the western market over two years ago, but I’m not aware of Genting’s interest in getting out of the charter business.  Also, last year there were a couple different Asian agencies that put together shorter Asian versions of the AirCruises for their customers as well, so there is still an element of that still taking up some small part of Skye’s calendar of charters.

The momentum of Genting using Crystal as a “brand” so far has been limited to what was originally announced, but Crystal Skye remains one of the further-flung examples of the Crystal brand being applied by Genting from Crystal’s core market.  There’s a small part of me that expects we might see another example in about 3 or so more years if things continue as they are.

Vince

After yesterday and today's' performance, they should put the New York Yankees on the Crystal Flight.

Just saying.  😍

Keith

14 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Crystal isn’t an airline so they technically need certified operators to actually operate the air components.  Last time I looked separate companies operated the small jets from the 777...  I think Comlux on the 777 and Corporate Flight Management as you pointed out on the small planes.

Thanks for the background!

Since I just got back with my wife celebrating our 30th anniversary on the Symphony, I can attest the service and food on both the ship and the plane were amazing!  I was lucky enough to fly with an NBA team to China this past October.  We had 3 flights and had a great time.

Talked a lot with the Chief Steward and she said they only do charters.  It holds up to 88 pax but she said there have been a lot of very wealthy people around the world use it for extended families etc.

I can only imagine what it costs to have that bird sitting around while two basketball games in two Chinese cities along with a round trip from the US.

I bet those BoSox players didn't mind the "short" trip across the pond.  I know our 30 hours total in the air wasn't enough!

Skye Dinner Oct 2018.jpg

That's neat, 2cruiseagain. Happy anniversary, and I love that photo!

11 hours ago, 2cruiseagain said:

Since I just got back with my wife celebrating our 30th anniversary on the Symphony, I can attest the service and food on both the ship and the plane were amazing!  I was lucky enough to fly with an NBA team to China this past October.  We had 3 flights and had a great time.

Talked a lot with the Chief Steward and she said they only do charters.  It holds up to 88 pax but she said there have been a lot of very wealthy people around the world use it for extended families etc.

I can only imagine what it costs to have that bird sitting around while two basketball games in two Chinese cities along with a round trip from the US.

I bet those BoSox players didn't mind the "short" trip across the pond.  I know our 30 hours total in the air wasn't enough!

Skye Dinner Oct 2018.jpg

So nice that you had the opportunity to experience this last October.  I am sure it is a wonderful experience.  Love the food photo.

This is a hunch on my part but I am thinking that possibly the Red Sox players had too good a time on the flight which was reflected in the first of the two games.  Maybe the cause was too much bubbly.  It was all good for my Yankees.   😀

Keith

13 hours ago, 2cruiseagain said:

Skye Dinner Oct 2018.jpg

Is it just me but does this really look like a good “airline meal”? 

I don’t think so - the plating up isn’t great nor the ingredients chosen - sure it’s a steak but that’s hardly a inspirational cut or presentation for a luxury private charter flight 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Is it just me but does this really look like a good “airline meal”? 

I don’t think so - the plating up isn’t great nor the ingredients chosen - sure it’s a steak but that’s hardly a inspirational cut or presentation for a luxury private charter flight 

The charter organizer gets to design the catering...  The style of it will vary wildly depending on the group.  I don't have any experience actually doing inflight catering for sports groups, but based on what I do with hotels for similar groups they usually do fewer courses with larger portions and spend their money on heartier proteins and save on less fussy presentations.  I'd be willing to bet you're observations are the result of active design decisions.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BWIVince said:

Duped and deleted.

Edited by BWIVince
Duped

11 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

The charter organizer gets to design the catering...  The style of it will vary wildly depending on the group.  I don't have any experience actually doing inflight catering for sports groups, but based on what I do with hotels for similar groups they usually do fewer courses with larger portions and spend their money on heartier proteins and save on less fussy presentations.  I'd be willing to bet you're observations are the result of active design decisions.

Vince

Wondering how many calories a typical NBA player consumes per day? 😳

Patty

5 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Vince, you are so right and this is most definitely how it works.

It works the same way on many corporate jets.  When we took one of the jets out we were able to request pretty much whatever we wanted. 

Keith

8 hours ago, BWIVince said:

The charter organizer gets to design the catering...  The style of it will vary wildly depending on the group.  I don't have any experience actually doing inflight catering for sports groups......  I'd be willing to bet you're observations are the result of active design decisions

Sure I get that the charter determines the catering standards but I don’t think 2cruiseagain is a current roster member so doesn’t need to eat like one - and therefore why wouldn’t a luxury charter serve quality dishes to him rather than something it looks like a line cook slapped it up

Look at the plating and the serving style of the napkin - and what about those cheap salt and pepper shakers 

Posted (edited)

Off topic - I have flown a few times with a top NCAA Football team to bowl games. Our charter was frequently "Sun Country Airlines" and the food, if there was food, was not something to talk about.....

There is definitely a difference between College and Professional teams! I even have 2 National Championship football rings and the NCAA puts a cap on how much they can cost. I think the cap was $300 or something like that when I got mine.

Oh well - I have my memories, right! :)

Edited by Coral

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, 2cruiseagain said:

Since I just got back with my wife celebrating our 30th anniversary on the Symphony, I can attest the service and food on both the ship and the plane were amazing!  I was lucky enough to fly with an NBA team to China this past October. 

Skye Dinner Oct 2018.jpg

This just looks horrible! Gray meat scares me.

Edited by Coral