Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
NCteacherlovescruising

Is there anything to do around the Element Harrison-Newark

Recommended Posts

Since we lost out on the “sale” for the Westin Jersey City, I booked here instead.  Is there anything to do in the area the night before the cruise?  I know there is PATH station next door, just wondering if there is anything in that general area to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, not much. Its in an area of redevelopment with a huge construction site next door. Not a particularly safe area to walk around in at night. I would recommend taking the PATH or take an Uber to Hoboken or Jersey City if you want to walk around and get a bite to eat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

No, not much. Its in an area of redevelopment with a huge construction site next door. Not a particularly safe area to walk around in at night. I would recommend taking the PATH or take an Uber to Hoboken or Jersey City if you want to walk around and get a bite to eat. 

 

Oh no!  I don’t want to stay somewhere unsafe.  We are driving so we will have our car with us. Will it even be safe for overnight parking? Perhaps we should cancel our reservation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Will it even be safe for overnight parking? 

It's a former blighted industrial zone near the train tracks thats been in the process of redevelopment. You have brand new apartments going in (along with the Element) but it still sits in an area thats sandwiched between a major highway and the Northeast Corridor train tracks. 

 

Do I think you'll be mugged if you step outside? Not likely. Would I leave my car out on the street? No. But there is a parking garage next to the Harrison PATH station. 

 

I don't want to get you unduly alarmed-- its a brand new hotel so it will most likely be nice. But its in an area that you aren't going to want to go for an evening stroll in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

It's a former blighted industrial zone near the train tracks thats been in the process of redevelopment. You have brand new apartments going in (along with the Element) but it still sits in an area thats sandwiched between a major highway and the Northeast Corridor train tracks. 

 

Do I think you'll be mugged if you step outside? Not likely. Would I leave my car out on the street? No. But there is a parking garage next to the Harrison PATH station. 

 

I don't want to get you unduly alarmed-- its a brand new hotel so it will most likely be nice. But its in an area that you aren't going to want to go for an evening stroll in. 

 

Is the parking garage secure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is the parking garage secure?

I've honestly never parked there-- I just know its there because my train passes by it a few times a week. Its a big 4-5 story concrete parking garage so I would assume that it is reasonably secure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve looked at several Marriott properties.  Personally, I would never have recommended staying in Harrison.  It’s a highly urban industrialized area next to the main train line for Amtrak, NJ Transit, and PATH.  Look at Google earth.

 

As someone pointed out, you have a long drive from NC.  I’d consider staying at the Marriott Courtyard in bucolic Cranberry NJ at Exit 8A of the Turnpike to get off the road before you hit the NY metro area traffic at the end of your long trip.  It should be an easy 40 minute drive to Cape Liberty on a Sunday morning and you wouldn’t have to deal with the crazy spaghetti-like roads around Newark/Newark Airport.  I have personally done the exit 8 or 8A to Cape Liberty numbers of times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well lovely. The first hotel I solely relied on customers reviews and booked is the only one y’all have talked negatively about. I talked with my husband and we are going to cancel. I’m not sure how easy it will be to get our free night certificate back, but will work on all that tomorrow. I really don’t want to stay 40 minutes away. After someone suggested the Brownstone Diner I checked out their menu and it looks amazing!  We had planned on eating there. Back to my search. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Well lovely. The first hotel I solely relied on customers reviews and booked is the only one y’all have talked negatively about. I talked with my husband and we are going to cancel. I’m not sure how easy it will be to get our free night certificate back, but will work on all that tomorrow. I really don’t want to stay 40 minutes away. After someone suggested the Brownstone Diner I checked out their menu and it looks amazing!  We had planned on eating there. Back to my search. 

Don’t be hasty.  If you can’t get your free certificate back, then keep the hotel.  Look at the area on google earth.  You can see the train tracks right by the hotel.  It’s an urban area under development, but it’s a free hotel and, as you point out, the hotel itself gets good reviews.  The main objection is the culture shock for folks who come from a less urban area of the US. You’re already worried about the parking safety.  Just don’t expect it to be a vacation destination. The estimated travel time from the Element to Cape Liberty is 25 minutes, so IMO staying 40 minutes away in Cranbury NJ is not a significant difference when you consider it will take you about 45 minutes to go from Cranbury to Harrison just to get to the Element. 

Edited by 138east

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 138east said:

Don’t be hasty.  If you can’t get your free certificate back, then keep the hotel.  Look at the area on google earth.  You can see the train tracks right by the hotel.  It’s an urban area under development, but it’s a free hotel and, as you point out, the hotel itself gets good reviews.  The main objection is the culture shock for folks who come from a less urban area of the US. You’re already worried about the parking safety.  Just don’t expect it to be a vacation destination. The estimated travel time from the Element to Cape Liberty is 25 minutes, so IMO staying 40 minutes away in Cranbury NJ is not a significant difference when you consider it will take you about 45 minutes to go from Cranbury to Harrison just to get to the Element. 

 

I think we will be able to get our certificate back, I believe it will just involve a phone call rather than booking online.  If we can’t, we will stay there and just take our time driving and just sleep there. If we can get it back I found something else we like, The Residence Inn Jersey City. It’s also 35,000 points, like the Westin, but includes breakfast so that would somewhat offset the $35.50 extra it cost. It’s the top rated hotel in Jersey City, close to path, includes breakfast, walking distance to the water, and is close to Brownstone Diner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

 

I think we will be able to get our certificate back, I believe it will just involve a phone call rather than booking online.  If we can’t, we will stay there and just take our time driving and just sleep there. If we can get it back I found something else we like, The Residence Inn Jersey City. It’s also 35,000 points, like the Westin, but includes breakfast so that would somewhat offset the $35.50 extra it cost. It’s the top rated hotel in Jersey City, close to path, includes breakfast, walking distance to the water, and is close to Brownstone Diner. 

I stayed at the Residence Inn precruise last Feb and really liked it.  I thought I mentioned it one of your first threads about Marriott options in Jersey City.  There were lots of restaurants within walking distance and the waterfront is only 3-4 blocks away at a Exchange Place.  My husband and I lived right there many years ago and it was a delight to see how nice the area is now.

FF4EF7C3-A382-4C16-B8DF-75995DDAEDE2.jpeg

7C08DBF0-619B-41EB-A868-16BE43BFBAA3.jpeg

3366A4F7-2A28-4B1F-825F-B0178B6C7156.jpeg

BA2396A1-88EF-4EBB-8092-2588FB6A7B81.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 138east said:

I stayed at the Residence Inn precruise last Feb and really liked it.  I thought I mentioned it one of your first threads about Marriott options in Jersey City.  There were lots of restaurants within walking distance and the waterfront is only 3-4 blocks away at a Exchange Place.  My husband and I lived right there many years ago and it was a delight to see how nice the area is now.

FF4EF7C3-A382-4C16-B8DF-75995DDAEDE2.jpeg

7C08DBF0-619B-41EB-A868-16BE43BFBAA3.jpeg

3366A4F7-2A28-4B1F-825F-B0178B6C7156.jpeg

BA2396A1-88EF-4EBB-8092-2588FB6A7B81.jpeg

 

Perhaps you did. As you stated, I’ve looked at several Marriott properties. It’s hard to keep them all straight. Lol  I will call them tomorrow and see if I can make the switch. I don’t think it will be a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I replied in the large thread, but also wanted to here. I called Marriott and she said it was no problem at all. She credited back my free voucher, which I will use another time, and instead I used 32,00 points and purchased the additional 3,000 I needed for this property. I feel much better now and can start relaxing and enjoying my summer vacation now we have reservations at a place I’m sure we will like. Thanks to all of you that steered me away from the other property!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I replied in the large thread, but also wanted to here. I called Marriott and she said it was no problem at all. She credited back my free voucher, which I will use another time, and instead I used 32,00 points and purchased the additional 3,000 I needed for this property. I feel much better now and can start relaxing and enjoying my summer vacation now we have reservations at a place I’m sure we will like. Thanks to all of you that steered me away from the other property!  

So glad you were able to make the switch!  Read a little about the pedestrian mall and restaurants by doing 2 google searches:

grove st jersey city pedestrian street

grove st jersey city pedestrian street restaurants

 

I enjoyed walking this pedestrian street even in Feb.

 

Please report back on your experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have stayed at the Elements -- it was fine. There is a parking garage that is attached to the hotel, it's gated but pretty much like most public garages -- anyone can walk in.

 

Honestly, I liked the hotel and how close it was to take the train into Manhattan but they have increased the price a lot, so I decided on other hotels.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...