Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
frogdream

Nice Cruise Ruined by money grabs

1 minute ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

The exact opposite of yours.  Not everyone who gets the drink package does it so they can consume as much as possible.

Oh good I was afraid that I had missed some point you was trying to make. Instead you are putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

1 hour ago, FenixRising said:

No real easy way to say this so, not every ones life revolves around how much alcohol they can cram down their gullet. Quite a few people don't get the drink package because it's just not worth it to them.

8 minutes ago, FenixRising said:

Oh good I was afraid that I had missed some point you was trying to make. Instead you are putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

You didn't say that?

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan

3 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

@FLAHAM Have never gotten any of the drink packages so I'll take your word on the lack of receipt. We always pay by the drink so we ALWAYS get a receipt to sign.

I'll amend my advice to OP as follows: If you DON'T have a drink package then LOOK at the receipt before signing.

Certainly good advice....with any receipt anywhere. 

22 hours ago, njkate said:

If you were still in port you are paying taxes on the drinks.

That is very true. Many may not be aware of this. if you get a receipt it shows this, if not it will be on your account print out. Maybe this was the case and OP didn't check her account. BTW, I see she did not come back to give any more details. I think she probably did her rant which is ok and may not ever be back. Time will tell. Did notice this was her first post; always question people who have never posted before and yet find CC so they can express their unhappiness with an issue. 

Thank you all for your comments! As soon as I saw these charges during the cruise I spent a long time on line twice with Guest Services trying to understand and straighten them out. The first time I was assured it would be corrected by that evening and I would see it on my charges, the second time I was told it couldn't be corrected until we were back in NY port at the end of the cruise. I asked what I needed to do to make that happen and was assured that I didn't need to do anything, the rep told me she sent a message and it would be taken care of. I just wouldn't see anything until afterwards. I have seen no resolution, and don't appreciate the fact that I was told things to placate me at the time.

I have taken several cruises, this was my 3rd on NCL I haven't been on a cruise in 5 years however. I think I am not taking anymore cruises. The crowds, noise, extra charges and constant treat of infection in a small contained space are not my idea of a vacation!

4 hours ago, frogdream said:

The crowds, noise, extra charges and constant treat of infection in a small contained space are not my idea of a vacation!

Yes, infections on a cruise are a true treat, sorry you will be missing them.

Hi OP,

So sorry that this happened to you. When I read your post you did say you tried to solve the issue on board and believed what the NCL people told you.  You were basically lied to by the Guest Services desk people, sad to say this is not uncommon. Not sure how you would have known that.

Also, I have cruised many times and been charged in port drink taxes, never $20 for the tax no matter where we were!  I have been given upcharge booze but how would you know if you did not get a tab/receipt? I challenged the bartender immediately and then mentioned this on my post cruise survey, with his name. The bartenders name would be on the charge to you, in the computer so NCL would be able to tell who it was.

I hope you get this resolved and take the good advice that some here have given. 

Please ignore the unsolicited comments which are not related at all to your concerns, you will easily recognize them. This is an ongoing issue here on CC and new members are, unfortunately, disparaged because they do not know everything already.

I hope you give cruising another chance as it is a very great time....good luck.☺

18 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Please ignore the unsolicited comments which are not related at all to your concerns, you will easily recognize them. This is an ongoing issue here on CC and new members are, unfortunately, disparaged because they do not know everything already.

I hope you give cruising another chance as it is a very great time....good luck.☺

I second that. There are a fair number of posters around here that just can't take any criticism of their favourite cruise line, especially from a new member. It's as if their entire self worth is tied up with their cruise line, i.e. if you criticize the cruise line you are criticizing them personally. Just ignore those posters. 

I frankly don't care if you try another cruise. Your vacation choice is totally up to you. But I will say, if you take another cruise the cruisers you encounter will be a whole lot more civil than the bunch you encountered on this thread.

(Heavily edited for civility!😉)

Edited by DirtyDawg

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Yes, infections on a cruise are a true treat, sorry you will be missing them.

Wow! Give a gal a break, would ya?

2 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

Wow! Give a gal a break, would ya?

No problem, what does she want broken?

On 6/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Here is an easy way to say this, the drink package as a perk costs the equivalent of about 2-4 drinks per day and has nothing to do with consumption for some people.  Quite a few people, myself included, get the drink package because it is totally worth it to them.

I have cruised 5-6 times in the past, but we are cruising Norwegian for the first time in a few weeks. The drink package is $99 plus 20% gratuity, so basically $120 per day. How much are the drinks if you buy them without a package?? You say 2-4 but that can't be right, can it? I'm thinking it should be $12-15 for regular drinks. Can anyone confirm that?Thanks.

Redwing is talking about it as a perk and you are talking about it as if you buy the package outright. That would be different math.

I keep rereading OP's post and looking for the money grab. I can't find one.

20 hours ago, wyattjl said:

I have cruised 5-6 times in the past, but we are cruising Norwegian for the first time in a few weeks. The drink package is $99 plus 20% gratuity, so basically $120 per day. How much are the drinks if you buy them without a package?? You say 2-4 but that can't be right, can it? I'm thinking it should be $12-15 for regular drinks. Can anyone confirm that?Thanks.

NCL offers the beverage package as one of their free at sea perks. If you choose it you only pay the 20% gratuity which is about $20 a day. Beer is about the only thing you can find under $10, so as long as you drink two drinks a day (or 3 if you're strictly drinking beer) paying the gratuity on perk is cheaper than buying drinks. 

One time I was charged for beers in GSC that I didn't consume- the person at the desk wanted to argue with me but I wasn't even there at the time. I said provide me with my signature on the receipt - since it doesn't exist I then wrote to an officer above them and got it fixed. squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

It's also a good idea to check your OBC every few days on the screen. 

On 6/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, FenixRising said:

No real easy way to say this so, not every ones life revolves around how much alcohol they can cram down their gullet. Quite a few people don't get the drink package because it's just not worth it to them.

2 drinks a day will cover the gratuities on the easy to obtain drink package as a perk.  The poster hit that while still in port per their own post.  Thanks for the concern, though.  

8 hours ago, smplybcause said:

NCL offers the beverage package as one of their free at sea perks. If you choose it you only pay the 20% gratuity which is about $20 a day. Beer is about the only thing you can find under $10, so as long as you drink two drinks a day (or 3 if you're strictly drinking beer) paying the gratuity on perk is cheaper than buying drinks. 

This perk is not "free".    You usually pay hundreds more for the cruise,  compared to Sail Away rates.    I sail at least monthly and recently one difference was $1000  more for that "free perk".    

17 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

This perk is not "free".    You usually pay hundreds more for the cruise,  compared to Sail Away rates.    I sail at least monthly and recently one difference was $1000  more for that "free perk".    

Companies don't give anything for free unless it's a contest of some sort. 

17 hours ago, zqvol said:

I keep rereading OP's post and looking for the money grab. I can't find one.

I am thinking the $20 difference between the drinks total when in port.

So, if I have the Beverage package, I understand that before sailaway, I will be paying tax on any drinks ordered.  Should I be given a receipt to sign for those?  Or just check my onboard account to verify what I was charged?

11 minutes ago, Prnsessmoi said:

So, if I have the Beverage package, I understand that before sailaway, I will be paying tax on any drinks ordered.  Should I be given a receipt to sign for those?  Or just check my onboard account to verify what I was charged?

Check onboard account, no receipt to sign on our last cruise this past January. 

22 minutes ago, Prnsessmoi said:

I’ve never had to sign a receipt for the tax charges. But every time I’ve ordered a drink that was over the $15 limit I’ve had to sign for it.

I had a similar problem when disembarking Jade in January 2017.

Long story short, I had a mystery charge appear on our final bill, something about a corkage fee.

I hadn't brought any wine (we had a package) and had no idea what they were talking about.

They were quite rude over the phone and insisted I come to GS to sort. They seemed to want me to prove I DIDN'T make this purchase... how in the world can you prove you didn't purchase something? They seemed to have no receipt.

Since I was trying to get a kindergartener dressed AND make a flight I flat out refused.

Why should I risk missing my flight to wait in a long line of pax to correct your error?

I politely but firmly said as much on the phone and told them I would not be paying nor arguing further.