May seem silly, but I take my pizza seriously...Allure/Adventure

OP I totally agree with you.

Carnival for me has RCI totally beat on the following.

Soft Serve ice cream 24 hours to Frozen yogurt during the day

Pizza is way better to RCI (Sailing 8/25 HOS so hopefully much better)

Guys Burgers to Paid Johnny Rockets

Indian Food

1 hour ago, PlanetX said:

That's very exciting to hear...Sorrento's on Oasis in summer '17 was godawful, an insult to pizza.  I'm actually looking forward to trying Sorrento's again now!

The sauce actually had flavor to it this time!!!

And they offered more than just "cheese only" or "cheese and pepperoni"... they had VEGGIES and stuff!  

It's not gonna put your local pizza place out of business, but it's DEFINITELY edible now!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

From what I understand, it's being rolled out gradually to the fleet, not something that requires a dry dock.  Basically, it's a different recipe with better (i.e. fresher) ingredients.

I don't think there is a list online that you'll find as to which ships have it but when you stop by Sorrento's, there will be a sign touting the new recipe.

I would think that Harmony - being one of the newer, top-of-the-line ships - would have the better pizza. I'm sure some recent Harmony cruisers can confirm.

How about the OASIS???

On 6/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, JoeFan said:

OP I totally agree with you.

Carnival for me has RCI totally beat on the following.

Soft Serve ice cream 24 hours to Frozen yogurt during the day

Pizza is way better to RCI (Sailing 8/25 HOS so hopefully much better)

Guys Burgers to Paid Johnny Rockets

Indian Food

Carnival also had fresh gelato, too.

Our family (which includes 3 boys who are 22/21/18 and have been sailing since Allure came out) all agree sorrentos took a nose dive a few years after we first tried it and as recent as December (symphony) and June (anthem) it has not come close to recovering. It’s good to fill a gap when nothing else is available, but not even close to anything we would choose to get back home. 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:27 AM, meatloafsfan said:

That's good to hear. The pizza used to be terrible - it was marginally better last May on the Adventure. If it's improved even more that's great. And happy about the dipping sauces. Sometimes you just want a little zip with your za. :classic_biggrin:

I am curious, are you saying you dip your pizza in sauce rather than the sauce being on the pizza?  I have never heard of anyone dipping pizza in ranch dressing at least no here in Jersey, is that a Canadian thing?

Just came back from Allure yesterday and Sorrento's was really good. Always a huge line too.

My favorite quote overheard on the cruise:

*Husband walks off the stairwell headed towards the 6th floor*

Wife - "where are you going? Your precious Sorrento's is on the 5th floor."

I couldn't stop laughing after I heard that.

Edited by MLBFan24
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

I am curious, are you saying you dip your pizza in sauce rather than the sauce being on the pizza?  I have never heard of anyone dipping pizza in ranch dressing at least no here in Jersey, is that a Canadian thing?

It's regular pizza with tomato sauce on it, and then flavored dipping sauces on the side for those who are so inclined. 

I think Ranch-on-Everything is more of a Midwestern thing (although I'm in Michigan and pretty much limit my ranch to salad and the occasional chicken nugget/tender).  

The other sauce is a garlic cream sauce -- very tasty with pizza!

We were on Allure in December and found pizza at Sorrento's to be quite good.  For reference, I am a pizza aficianado, and my boyfriend could take it or leave it.  We both found ourselves at Sorrento's daily.  Granted, it might not get rave reviews when compared to our favorite pizza joints at home, but it was more than enjoyable, and found it to be much improved over previous Royal sailings.

Enjoy Allure!

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, Mythbuster said:

Not so much the whole slice but the crust. Here in Canada one of our major chains (Pizza Pizza) has a great creamy garlic dipping sauce. It's awesome to add some sauce to an otherwise dry crust.