Cruise Critic Community
kelship

Non-formal night MDR clothing

Hi all. Going on a 4 night cruise to Nassau & CocoCay this fall on Navigator of the Seas.

I've read some conflicting thoughts on formal night attire in the MDR, but what about the other 3 nights...the non-formal nights? Are 'nice' jeans and a dressier top acceptable or should I go pants shopping?

What about Chops or any of the specialty restaurants...should we choose them. I would assume no jeans? 

Thanks in advance!

I usually wear Jeans and a polo shirt.  There will be time when people around me are under dressed compared to what I'm wearing.  I don't go to formal nights because I don't want to dress up, but usually our wait staff tells us what I'm wearing is just fine.

So basically, you should be fine.

My wife has worn a sundress, while I've had jeans and a tshirt. We've had issues. 

1 hour ago, Jj343434jj said:

My wife has worn a sundress, while I've had jeans and a tshirt. We've had issues. 

What issues have you had?

48 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

What issues have you had?

I'm thinking that he mis-typed, omitting an intended "not".

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I'm thinking that he mis-typed, omitting an intended "not".

That's my suspicion as well. 😊

When forced to eat in MDR I wear jeans or black slacks and a casual top like I would wear if going to dinner at local restaurant in the evening.  Daytime attire is normally jean capri's and a cruise line T.  

Wish they would simply forget the FORMAL night title and simply say Dress Up or Smart Chic or some other marketing catchy title.  Seldom see formal on Caribbean cruises unless you dine TRADITIONAL.  MTD seldom see many people dressed formal.

Would not dream of formal for Nassau. Your are on Island Time.  Relax and enjoy.

6 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

When forced to eat in MDR I wear jeans or black slacks and a casual top like I would wear if going to dinner at local restaurant in the evening.  Daytime attire is normally jean capri's and a cruise line T.  

Wish they would simply forget the FORMAL night title and simply say Dress Up or Smart Chic or some other marketing catchy title.  Seldom see formal on Caribbean cruises unless you dine TRADITIONAL.  MTD seldom see many people dressed formal.

Would not dream of formal for Nassau. Your are on Island Time.  Relax and enjoy.

It's my understanding that they dropped the title Formal Night years and years ago and it's now called Elegant Night, but people still call it Formal Night. On all three lines that we've sailed we've seen quite the mixture on whatever passes for Formal Night on each line, from shorts to tuxes.

As for the OP's question I've seen plenty of jeans on regular nights in the MDR and a dressier top sounds like it would fit right in.

Posted (edited)

Here is the dress suggestion from Royal Caribbean's website.  Jeans and dressier top is certainly  acceptable. 

"When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion."
Edited by papaflamingo

43 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It's my understanding that they dropped the title Formal Night years and years ago and it's now called Elegant Night, but people still call it Formal Night. 

Not on Royal Caribbean.  Still called formal night.

44 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It's my understanding that they dropped the title Formal Night years and years ago and it's now called Elegant Night,

You are thinking about Carnival  :)    

30 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not on Royal Caribbean.  Still called formal night.

28 minutes ago, ryano said:

You are thinking about Carnival  🙂   

Groan, of course <insert face palm emoji>. 

I find my little black dress is perfect for cruising.  I wear it both formal nights just with a different cover up, usually a pashmina one night and then a thin chiffon waist-length no-button shrug.  Plus these items use up very little luggage space.  As a matter of fact, 2 cruises ago, I had to do some last minute hemming an hour before dinner since I had worn that little black dress so much.  So double check those hems before you leave home.  😊

Oops, sorry I just realized your question was about non-formal night.  I bring with an assortment of nice tank tops, cardigan or two (I am always cold), and capris/leggings.  Then I switch it all out throughout the cruise.  Also, a top I wear for those couple of hours for dinner will later serve as a daytime top.  I coordinate it all around black sandals.  My hubby and I usually do not check our bags.  So one must be resourceful.  (He travelled to Asia, South America, Europe for many years and taught us all to be very light packers.  My mother-in-law did not believe it would work, but was amazed at the end of 7 days that I had not repeated the same exact outfit day or night.)

Husband usually wears nicer black jeans and nicer black crew neck top.  For formal night he may put over a sport coat.  

7 hours ago, kelship said:

Hi all. Going on a 4 night cruise to Nassau & CocoCay this fall on Navigator of the Seas.

I've read some conflicting thoughts on formal night attire in the MDR, but what about the other 3 nights...the non-formal nights? Are 'nice' jeans and a dressier top acceptable or should I go pants shopping?

What about Chops or any of the specialty restaurants...should we choose them. I would assume no jeans? 

Thanks in advance!

The traditionalist while not be happy but I wear a nice pair of docker shorts and a polo shirt for non formal nights.

10 minutes ago, Love PalmTrees said:

Oops, sorry I just realized your question was about non-formal night.  I bring with an assortment of nice tank tops, cardigan or two (I am always cold), and capris/leggings.  Then I switch it all out throughout the cruise.  Also, a top I wear for those couple of hours for dinner will later serve as a daytime top.  I coordinate it all around black sandals.  My hubby and I usually do not check our bags.  So one must be resourceful.  (He travelled to Asia, South America, Europe for many years and taught us all to be very light packers.  My mother-in-law did not believe it would work, but was amazed at the end of 7 days that I had not repeated the same exact outfit day or night.)

Husband usually wears nicer black jeans and nicer black crew neck top.  For formal night he may put over a sport coat.  

You are so spot on.  I substitute black slacks with my black sandals.  Can not remember the last time I wore a dress or a skirt.

When my husband was in aviation management with a major airline we traveled all over the world with one carry-on each as we were pass riding and could not check luggage.  Did not want our luggage to go on vacation without us.  Learned to mix and match and always looked correct for the occasion.  Learned less is more.

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I was all over the Caribbean in April and May on the Jewel and the Adventure, and saw lots of dressy clothes on formal nights in MTD.  Not tuxedo formal, but suits for men, and many, many lovely dressy outfits for women.

Looking at a Caribbean cruise with RC in January.  Have searched the forum but still a little confused.  Some posts say Formal Night is optional, other info says jackets are mandatory for Chef's Table but I came across at least one post that showed many were not dressed up.

So just confused... if I don't bring a jacket will we be turned away from the restaurant or at Chef's Table?

???

We do *have* jackets and ties but have not worn them for a while as all the places we dine out are business casual.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So just confused... if I don't bring a jacket will we be turned away from the restaurant or at Chef's Table?

???

Nope.

What's with all the Jean's? I find khakis much more comfortable and not as heavy.

29 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Nope.

Ok.  I appreciate that.  Seems like a hassle to bring a jacket.  Good to know it's optional.  We don't want to disrespect anyone.

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok.  I appreciate that.  Seems like a hassle to bring a jacket.  Good to know it's optional.  We don't want to disrespect anyone.

No worries, since Royal won't enforce any suggestions, the "dress" level attire has continued to decline.

Thank you all!

My lifestyle is such that I honestly don't own a little black dress, or non-jeans. I live in jeans and shorts.

Having worked at an airline previously, I know the stand-by/carry-on-only life pretty well :) And having read your responses, I think it couldn't hurt me to find some decent capri's or pants in the next couple months.

I do own a decent fancy dress, but will have to discuss with my travel buddy if we even want to participate in that...or just buffet it that night.

I appreciate others love for formal, dress up nights...I would just rather spend my time and money on more excursions than a dress. I'm thinking a Windjammer visit might be in order that night.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate it!

Is formal night just in MDR or in all specialty restaurants too?  My understanding is that it is optional.