Cruise Critic Community
kelship

Non-formal night MDR clothing

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is formal night just in MDR or in all specialty restaurants too?  My understanding is that it is optional.

Specialty restaurants are supposedly Smart Casual every night.

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What's with all the Jean's? I find khakis much more comfortable and not as heavy.

Jeans don't show the dirt, John.  Your khakis will show if you have a senior moment and drop something from your fork.  I do think khakis look much neater on men.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Looking at a Caribbean cruise with RC in January.  Have searched the forum but still a little confused.  Some posts say Formal Night is optional, other info says jackets are mandatory for Chef's Table but I came across at least one post that showed many were not dressed up.

So just confused... if I don't bring a jacket will we be turned away from the restaurant or at Chef's Table?

???

We do *have* jackets and ties but have not worn them for a while as all the places we dine out are business casual.

@zitsky

Check the dates on those posts.  😉

You'll see a mix of what people wear, no matter what the night.  I usually wear a suit, or dress pants, white shirt, tie, and sports coat on formal nights, but you'll see everything from more casual to tuxes.  The casual nights I'll wear khakis or dockers with a nice shirt.  Smart casual (maybe they use a different word), I'll be somewhere in between.  Basically, the staff hasn't seemed too uptight about things as far as I've noticed.  Also, attire has trended in a more casual direction over the years.  

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

@zitsky

Check the dates on those posts.  😉

Agree, years ago Jacket was required in multiple Venues with some offering a loaner. Not required now. Also back then Jacket was required when joining the Captain, that's one thing can't remember if still is.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:10 AM, 3CatsInMA said:

What issues have you had?

My bad, definitely was a typo. We have NOT had any issues. 

You see shorts sitting along side suits on Formal Night. Gents are easier to count,,,, on a recent cruise, in our part of the main dining rooms, we counted no tuxes, less than 10 suit and tie, less than 10 sports coats, and the rest were polo shirts and hawaiian shirts on Formal Night. Jeans and dockers are perfectly fine. We stopped packing gowns and tuxes a while ago. 

We've relaxed a fair bit over the years.  My hubby and son will wear dress pants, dress shirt and maybe a tie or not for formal nights - and casual shirt/short sleeve for other nights.  My son will wear dress shorts.  My hubby will wear dress shorts on night 1 and casual pants on the other nights.  My daughter and I will wear cocktail dresses or pant suits most nights and just glam it up a bit more on formal night.  I always pack white capris with a few top options.  Like someone else mentioned, will use those tops again for a daytime outfit with shorts.

Sad to say. Most cruise lines now could car less as long as you are wearing clothes and foot coverings and not a bathing suit. They do stipulate, but most do not turn away anyone. I have seen some people dress in rags and they were turned away. There clothes looked filthy. That is very seldom. Formal now is usually for the pictures all over the ship. We dress nice every night no matter. Feel uncomfortable with shorts in the evening.