Moderno price increase

vince_g

9 hours ago, Tinyturtle22 said:

It’s listed as $36 with gratuity for my September cruise. I only liked it when they had shrimp and the pineapple. The salad bar isn’t even good anymore. 

I wish they would just convert them all to Los Lobos or the BBQ place. 

A2D1B75D-F318-452D-B952-A46F9C8E1FFE.jpeg

I'm unfortunately allergic to shrimp (all crustacean shellfish) the last 5 years so can't really comment on that 😞

But I agree with you about the salad bar--it was microscopic compared to previous years (and even then, never even came close to Texas de Brazil).

DH and I enjoyed it, though, compared to MDR on our recent Dawn cruise (horrible MDR food)--Moderno meats were flavorful and tender. It was mostly just that the salad bar had very few choices. What was there, was very tasty and nicely done--don't get me wrong--but the selections were just...very few (scaled down from previously).

Food in all venues on my 2016 NCL cruise on the Getaway (except main buffet which I never ate) blew me away!

2017 on Escape was pretty good also (but not as good as Getaway 2016).

2018 [again] on Getaway was disappointing.

DH and I already had our 2019 Dawn booked (when the girls and I sailed Getaway September 2018 and I had also previously booked us girls on October 2019 Breakaway due to the low deposits at the time.).

After the disappointing food on DH and my May 2019 Dawn cruise, the girls and I promptly canceled our Oct 2019 Breakaway. We're now on Princess. I hope it's good. Read some concerning reviews there too.

In contrast--US-based land vacations we've taken recently where we ate in local renowned restaurants... we enjoyed much tastier food, at a better price (all expenses considered).

20 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

Yes.  I wouldn't pay that.  I was already of the opinion that Moderno (generally) is not as good as Texas de Brazil or Fogo de Chao.  And now they are charging the same amount as a land Churrascaria?  I don't even use the dining package on Moderno. 

We love Madernos. No, it isn't Texas de Brazil but it is still awesome and still has a wonderful salad bar. We always choose it for our UDP or plat meal. That being said, $46 is nutty. No, I would never pay anywhere close to that. I am shocked!!!!!!!  We have always had decent meats, and cooked the way we want and we still enjoy the salad bar. There was a period of time when the salad bar did appear to go down hill but the last few cruises it is back up to good or very good and love the pineapple. Our last cruise our daughter in law order 3 slices. I do not expect food on cruises to always be as good as land based restaurants.    

8 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Teppanyaki has also gone up the same amount.

Yep, both are now listed at $46.80 for my cruise on the Sun for August. I wish people would stop going to these places all together and make a point ........... 

• Like 3

Whatever happened to the days when dining in the specialty restaurants was just an upcharge, like a flat $15 to $30 depending on the venue. Now ship specialty dining is more expensive than land based restaurants of similar quality. The only reason I eat at these places at all is because of the free offers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vpearlkc said:

Whatever happened to the days when dining in the specialty restaurants was just an upcharge, like a flat $15 to $30 depending on the venue. Now ship specialty dining is more expensive than land based restaurants of similar quality. The only reason I eat at these places at all is because of the free offers.

I remember those days on Royal Caribbean, $15-$20 in the steakhouse and Italian restaurant and even then I was hesitant. What happened? People simply started throwing their money away and the staff just swept it up into cash bags as they snickered in the kitchen at people willing to pay $46.80 a head for subpar food ...... 

23 hours ago, vince_g said:

The price for Moderno without a SDP is now $46.80.  Up by $10.  The only way I would pay that is if they brought it up to Churrascaria Plataforma standard.  Anyone else think it's steep?

Not worth that price! I could go to our local Brazilian for about that and it is WAY better. I'd skip it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Well, ... $36 charge included the gratuity whereas the $39 charge does not, so that's where the biggest increase is coming from. Pretty ridiculous IMO. 

For discussion sake - and for others, feel free to flame, for my convenience - this was $24.95 last year (2018) and then went to $29.95 earlier this year + 20% ... in line with Teppanyaki - with 20%, it came to $36 p/p without SDP or being comp'd as Platinum or higher.  Suffice to say, pretty steep climb to $39 in a year's time, plus 20% ... gotta give a thumbs down to the rocketman running the ships to dare this.  

Oceania still charging 18% but NCL already at 20%, just a matter of time before they will dare to bump up to 22% service charge ... tipping is still going to be at one's discretion for exceptional services - above & beyond, vacation hero, yada yada.  Just think for a moment, 2 cruisers dining at Moderno would end up paying $14.00 for that day, almost as much as one person's DSC, currently at $15 p/p per day (or is it $14.50 or $14.95 ... I lost track, head spinning.)   

These trends aren't exclusive nor limited to NCL, we own a diverse portfolio including T&E stocks that pay nice quarterly dividends & "subsidize" our vacations nicely.  Moderno could be heading in the direction of *Away ship's Margaritaville, half empty & at times, possibly desserted like a ghost town.  Tin foil hats on.  

3 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

Yeah, the part where they want me to pay more for a Brazilian steakhouse or hibachi than I would locally is hilarious. And at the >$40 price point, my local Brazilian steakhouse would include a lobster tail.

(To be honest I’ve never understood the teppanyaki thing, but that kind of restaurant is a dime a dozen in my town. Maybe a lot of people don’t have them nearby.)

• Like 1

I wonder if this is only certain ships? I just checked my Jade cruise in September and my Dawn cruise in February and prices have not gone up at these venues...still $36 incl gratuity at Moderno and $36 incl gratuity at Teppenyaki. I went all the way to payment just to check.

NRWPA ... better rush to prepaid now and lock in the "great" old/current prices before they raise it up, quick.  

Another CC'er - fstuff1 - just board the Dawn today (out of NY) and reported that "current/live" a la carte prices had gone mad with Cagney & Le Bistro, entrees are up around $10 each.  Yike !!  

That should result in a possible rush to prepaid now, cash flow to be reflected in the "books" for NCLH ... quarterly earning results due out in about a month.  

• Haha 1

When Moderno was first introduced on NCL we went twice on the same cruise.  We thought it was that good.  I think it was the Gem.  It's lost it's appeal since and the last few cruises (on different ships) it just wasn't as good and, last fall on the Epic,  most of the meat was overcooked and too salty.  The salad bar though, is still wonderful.   I would never pay for it though.  

• Like 1

Whoa! I haven't been on a NCL cruise since 2016. Moderno was my favorite specialty, but I would NEVER pay that. Good lord, I remember the days of $15-$25 cover charges for specialties. I was thinking about a 2020 cruise and was sad that the ship didn't have a Moderno. Now I don't know whether to be sad or relived.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2019 at 10:30 AM, perditax said:

Yeah, the part where they want me to pay more for a Brazilian steakhouse or hibachi than I would locally is hilarious. And at the >$40 price point, my local Brazilian steakhouse would include a lobster tail.

(To be honest I’ve never understood the teppanyaki thing, but that kind of restaurant is a dime a dozen in my town. Maybe a lot of people don’t have them nearby.)

you are right on two counts: 1-some people live in areas where they do not have Japanese Steak houses, plus this is one case where I think NCL does a little better job than the cheap ones I have been in. and 2-Modernos is very good, but overpriced. We do usually eat at both as we have the UDP and plat plus but neither is worth the price they are paying. Of course most of us do not expect to get the same quality of food on ships as we do on land. Or, at least those who know today's cruising do not. 

I think it is easy to figure out, the introduction of "free at sea" have influenced the increase in specialty dining restaurants. For those who say they have eaten at some of these restaurants and the place has been empty or almost: I am betting you have eaten very late. We have eaten at all of them, more than once: no, not always full by any means but far from just one other couple or group eating at the same time.