Venice And The Adriatic on the Queen Victoria

moses0

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 7:56 AM, Solent Richard said:

Good morning AF.

I'm coming a little late into this thread as I have been away from home touring the East Coast of Scotland but I must say I do like all your photographs. It's always so much better when posts are illustrated.

I also noted your mentioning of a tour of the city walls in Dubrovnik. so I thought I'd pass on to the readership a link to my review where I have covered that very experience...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/05/one-way-to-do-dubrovnik/

...albeit on four visits.

406571696_TheviewfromFortimperialSolentRichard.jpg.801c6204746bacf5d067075cefd6481a.jpg

Great - thank you. 

I haven’t looked at Cruise Critic for over a month now so apologies for the delay in responding. I will take a look. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid Venice will never be on my agenda for a cruise ship. They are doing a tremendous amount of damage to the structure of the buildings and should never be allowed anywhere near the heart of the city.The residents hate the cruise ships.

• Like 1

Hi Alanxx - I’ve read this about Venice ..... but it’s true of many other ports, including many islands in the Caribbean. I know that the residents of Tortola, in the BVI, do not welcome cruise ships, as they feel they damage the coral and pollute the sea. Also it’s felt that the Cruise passengers do not help the economy, as many do not disembark and those who do tend to wander around the port and look at locals’ stalls, but do not buy anything. 

• Thanks 1

We did an Athens to Venice cruise in PG on the QV a couple of years ago and it was the best cruise we have ever had. Just one of those times when everything worked perfectly. The sail in to Venice in the pink washed dawn light is a memory that will stay with me for ever. The ports were Santorini, Kotakolon and Sarande. The first 2 were great but we didn’t get off in Sarande. I have had some very unmemorable experiences in Sarande during my career so was not anxious to revisit.

QV for us was just the right level of luxury and informality. Would go again in a heartbeat.

enjoy your cruise!

MosesO and luckymal - please join the roll call for the September 20th sailing on QV. Perhaps we could arrange some private excursions, together, in a small group. On previous cruises, we have found that option mostly preferable to the coach loads on the Cunard excursions. 

Mickb - thanks for your comments and good wishes. I’m really on a count-down now! 

Edited by E.A. Surrey

We did the trip back in 2015, but with different ports - Dubrovnic is lovely and I'd not bother with the Cunard shuttle into Venice again, it was very busy, and expensive, I'd make my own way to St Marks if I were to do it again.

We did Cartagenia last year - https://blog.rakkor.uk/2018/11/11/11th-november-cartagena/ it was very nice indeed, well worth a walk around

Jimbo