Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Been There, Planning That

Great Alaskan Explorer 2020

Recommended Posts

We've had to cancel HAL's 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer for this summer.

 

It appears right now that it's not being offered in 2020.

 

Are Alaskan itineraries finalized for '20 or is there yet hope it still may be offered?  Or are these itineraries released in dribs and drabs?  Or is this a voyage only offered infrequently?

 

Thanks in advance to the experts who follow such things.

 

Ruth

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Maasdam is doing the 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer in 2020. We are booked on the September 2020 one. On the HAL website, under Find A Cruise, select months, then under Other Options select Maasdam. The Early Booking Bonus promo applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 2020 sailings are on the Maasdam and are round trip Vancouver rather than Seattle, with a slightly different itinerary.  Make sure you select the correct ship and departure port when searching as HAL's website is less than friendly .....

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

We've had to cancel HAL's 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer for this summer.

 

It appears right now that it's not being offered in 2020.

 

Are Alaskan itineraries finalized for '20 or is there yet hope it still may be offered?  Or are these itineraries released in dribs and drabs?  Or is this a voyage only offered infrequently?

 

Thanks in advance to the experts who follow such things.

 

Ruth

 

 

I am booked on the Maasdam for the first two weeks in May and departing from Vancouver.  We already have a roll call started and would love to have you join us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha!  Aren't you the clever one on HAL.  Why on earth it doesn't appear in in a regular search I'll never know.

 

Thank you oceanmom, that's the one we want.  I'd NEVER have found it without the ship's name.

 

Ruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Crew News said:

 

  We already have a roll call started and would love to have you join us.

 

Thank you Crew News for the warm welcome, but we're looking for one later in the summer.

 

Ruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The 2020 sailings are on the Maasdam and are round trip Vancouver rather than Seattle, with a slightly different itinerary.  Make sure you select the correct ship and departure port when searching as HAL's website is less than friendly .....

 

I'd made the mistake of thinking it was again from Seattle so that was MY error.  But with the Maasdam in the search I found it.

 

And to think I could be friends with HAL'S unfriendly website!  I sure was soundly rejected on my offer of friendship.

 

Ruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

 

Thank you Crew News for the warm welcome, but we're looking for one later in the summer.

 

Ruth

 

I will have the menus/When & Where posted for my cruise so that you will have a preview of what to expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crew News said:

 

I will have the menus/When & Where posted for my cruise so that you will have a preview of what to expect.

 

Crew News, I' have a word file on port research done for this year's cruise from Seattle, I'd be most happy to share with anyone.  It focuses on history of each port rather than independent tours.

 

ruthdouglas 41 at gmail dot com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The 2020 sailings are on the Maasdam and are round trip Vancouver rather than Seattle, with a slightly different itinerary.  Make sure you select the correct ship and departure port when searching as HAL's website is less than friendly .....

 

I did the previous 14 day itinerary so I'm really excited about the changes for 2020.  I only wish Kodiak was still there instead of Homer - but - all in all it's a great itinerary.  I'm just waiting for the right sale to book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

 I'm just waiting for the right sale to book.

 

We've booked to secure the best cabin in our budget with a refundable deposit and then our TA will rebook when the right incentives for us come along.

 

Crew News, we look forward to your post cruise reviews/reports.

 

Ruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VermeulT said:

 

I did the previous 14 day itinerary so I'm really excited about the changes for 2020.  I only wish Kodiak was still there instead of Homer - but - all in all it's a great itinerary.  I'm just waiting for the right sale to book.

 

I sort of am sad that by the time the 2020 itinerary was released I was fairly well locked in for this summer, as I like the 2020 from Vancouver better for several reasons.  That said the 2019 itin is still great and it is me Mum's 70th during the cruise so .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

 

I sort of am sad that by the time the 2020 itinerary was released I was fairly well locked in for this summer, as I like the 2020 from Vancouver better for several reasons.  That said the 2019 itin is still great and it is me Mum's 70th during the cruise so .....

 

What is it that you like more about the 2020 itinerary? The 2019 has Kodiak and Sitka, both of which we loved on this year's itinerary. We are doing the 2020 itinerary, too, but I would sure like to return to both of those locations. But Vancouver, ahhhhh.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruise_More_Often said:

 

What is it that you like more about the 2020 itinerary? The 2019 has Kodiak and Sitka, both of which we loved on this year's itinerary. We are doing the 2020 itinerary, too, but I would sure like to return to both of those locations. But Vancouver, ahhhhh.

First/last days cruising  in inside passage, Haines w/ option for Skagway, Misty Fjords in addition to the two glacier days, Valdez  ...... just some nice changes that the Vancouver Departure allowed for, and a good mix of other changes for those who have doe the 14 day before,  though I agree losing Sitka is a negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

First/last days cruising  in inside passage, Haines w/ option for Skagway, Misty Fjords in addition to the two glacier days, Valdez  ...... just some nice changes that the Vancouver Departure allowed for, and a good mix of other changes for those who have doe the 14 day before,  though I agree losing Sitka is a negative.

 

Thanks, AtlantaCruiser72. I love cruising the inside passage, and I'm sure the Misty Fjords will be gorgeous. We've done it twice from small boats. Our cruise to Sitka in early June was my first time there, and I just have to get back some day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

First/last days cruising  in inside passage, Haines w/ option for Skagway, Misty Fjords in addition to the two glacier days, Valdez  ...... just some nice changes that the Vancouver Departure allowed for, and a good mix of other changes for those who have doe the 14 day before,  though I agree losing Sitka is a negative.

 

Exactly!

Tho, like I said - I'll miss Kodiak and Sitka.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

 

I sort of am sad that by the time the 2020 itinerary was released I was fairly well locked in for this summer, as I like the 2020 from Vancouver better for several reasons.  That said the 2019 itin is still great and it is me Mum's 70th during the cruise so .....

Don't be sad.  Yours is also a great itinerary.  It was a trip of a lifetime for me.  If the same itinerary was still available, I'd do it again because there were so many highlights.... but I do like that it will be different for those that have already done the other.  That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...