Cruise Critic Community
Ken the cruiser

Sail (Best Rate) or Sail Plus (Best Value)?

Just thought I’d pass along what we learned today. Last year we initially booked a 40 day HAL cruise around Australia with some perks attached. Then their restricted fare dropped to the point where it made better economical sense to switch. However, since we made the switch the restricted, nonrefundable fare has dropped another $2,000 pp. Unfortunately, though, HAL has a rule where you can’t refare a restricted booking unless you cancel, pay the penalty and rebook. That’s one lesson learned for us that we will not repeat again. 

To that end we noticed on a few of our booked X cruises, refaring with the nonrefundable Sail (Best Rate) fare would now be a better overall deal. However, based on our above HAL lesson learned, we asked our X PCC if the price drops again later on with regards to either option, would X allow us to refare using the best economical deal at that time or would we be stuck with the nonrefundable restricted?

Good news! We talked with our X PCC and he said as long as you didn’t cancel the booking, we could refare the cruise with either option as many times as it made economical sense to do so up to the final payment date.

Just another reason why we love cruising with X when they have a cool itinerary we want to go on!

That's always been our experience on X. Sadly, over the last two years we've only seen price drops on our bookings after final payment. I'm beginning to think those reductions of yesteryear are not returning, or we've been on popular bookings in the past two years! We always book our X cruises through a TA and have been pleased. Our upcoming cruise, booked in Feb of this year has shown price raises of $900 pp with two less perks and much less OBC. Even the price with no perks is currently showing as $600 per person more than we booked.

31 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

How did you get a PCC?  I have one on HAL, but never heard of one on Celebrity?

I'd give you the name of mine and his Celebrity extension if someone could tell me if the CC rules allow it since it is a cruise line POC. Otherwise, try calling the X 1-800 and ask how you can get a PCC assigned to you. They work in a different area from the 1-800 booking agents, so they would probably have to ask their supervisor how to pass that info on to you.

Passengers who booked with the NRD in the old price scheme Go Big Go Best Go Better can't reprice because they will lost the perks, because in the new price scheme the NRD don't have perks,  be aware if Celebrity latter change's the Sail your way price scheme.

1 hour ago, kenevenpar said:

How did you get a PCC?  I have one on HAL, but never heard of one on Celebrity?

I just talked again with our X PCC and he said all you have to do is put a Courtesy Hold on any X cruise and you will automatically get a call from a X PCC.

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just talked again with our X PCC and he said all you have to do is put a Courtesy Hold on any X cruise and you will automatically get a call from a X PCC.

That's been my experience when putting a cabin on hold.  Never wanted a X PCC though!

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Interesting to hear HAL's policy.  Just another reason not to book with them.

Instead, HAL may give you they may give you some credit towards a future cruise and/or a $100 beverage card depending on what the price drop was. In our case we got $500 pp towards a future cruise, a dinner at the Pinnacle Grill and we each got a $200 beverage card. Not the same as getting the fare difference back, but at least it was something.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Good news! We talked with our X PCC and he said as long as you didn’t cancel the booking, we could refare the cruise with either option as many times as it made economical sense to do so up to the final payment date.

Does the underlined phrase mean that you can refare from a NRD 0-perk to a RD 2-perk at the prevailing fare; but with the new fare if you cancel prior to final payment you will still lose your deposit? In other words, are they allowing you to essentially move from a NRD 0-perk to an effectively NRD 2-perk at the prevailing RD 2-perk fare?

If this is not the case, then moving from a NRD fare to a RD fare and then canceling would be an easy way to cancel a NRD fare with no loss of deposit!

2 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Does the underlined phrase mean that you can refare from a NRD 0-perk to a RD 2-perk at the prevailing fare; but with the new fare if you cancel prior to final payment you will still lose your deposit? In other words, are they allowing you to essentially move from a NRD 0-perk to an effectively NRD 2-perk at the prevailing RD 2-perk fare?

If this is not the case, then moving from a NRD fare to a RD fare and then canceling would be an easy way to cancel a NRD fare with no loss of deposit!

If you cancel your cruise after refaring to a RD, then yes, you will still be liable for whatever rules were defined at the time you booked the NR fare.

Does anyone know how moving a FCC to a cruise now works?  Can you get the FCC perk with a non refundable fare? Do you get more perks moving it to a refundable fare? So confusing. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Does anyone know how moving a FCC to a cruise now works?  Can you get the FCC perk with a non refundable fare? Do you get more perks moving it to a refundable fare? So confusing. Thanks. 

I would think if you have a FCC on your Captains Club account, you could apply it to your next booking regardless of the type of booking it is, as long as it hasn't expired based on the T&C of the FCC.