Cruise Critic Community

Going on the Oosterdam in 5 weeks, and I was wondering if they have a specialty kind of bakery on there?  I want to try a Macaron...

image.png.d81b4811d4fd0e1753a04eb2945260c4.png I can't find anyone here in Kansas City that makes them and someone said I could maybe get one on the ship.  Any ideas??

Thank you guys!!

Posted (edited)

We've had macaroons on HAL ships. DW has issues with gluten and the macaroons are a treat for her. They are usually available in the Explorations Cafe. Its been a while since we were on the O but I'm pretty sure they had them when we were (as well as having them on the K'dam last summer). BTW - we'll be a day ahead of you as we leave on the Eurodam on the 3rd. Once upon a time, I lived in Gladstone, MO and worked in downtown KC, MO.

Edited by grsnovi
additional thoughts

2 hours ago, beaming90 said:

Going on the Oosterdam in 5 weeks, and I was wondering if they have a specialty kind of bakery on there?  I want to try a Macaron...

I can't find anyone here in Kansas City that makes them and someone said I could maybe get one on the ship.  Any ideas??

Thank you guys!!

If you are sailing from Vancouver, and have some time to spare, there is (or was) a lovely bakery in Lonsdale Quay that made lovely macarons.  I have a vague memory of them in the PG, but it is a very vague memory.

If you ARE sailing from Vcr let me know and I will try to find the info on the macaron bakery 🙂

They were in the Neptune Lounge in April, quite good! Enjoy the "O" beautiful ship!

BTW folks, macaroons are NOT macarons!  Entirely different cookies!

5 hours ago, beaming90 said:

image.png.d81b4811d4fd0e1753a04eb2945260c4.png I can't find anyone here in Kansas City that makes them and someone said I could maybe get one on the ship.  Any ideas??

Thank you guys!!

If you are visiting Pike Place Market before boarding the Oosterdam, there is a french bakery Le Panier located at 1902 Pike Place.  Website:   https://www.lepanier.com/

The bakery is located just across the street from the Market (on a corner just down from the 'original" Starbucks.  There are all sorts of delicious bakery items there!

On 6/28/2019 at 6:51 PM, Lady Arwen said:

BTW folks, macaroons are NOT macarons!  Entirely different cookies!

Thank you,.      Yes, Macaroons,  the ones I am used  to look very different   than  that photo,   mine have   (coconut)  and are not sandwich style cookies.

image.png.3cccdbd743946b8e6e0b93cf589b5002.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

On 6/28/2019 at 8:15 PM, beaming90 said:

Thank you guys!!

Sailed the Zaandam recently and they were definitely available in Explorations Café several times.

Annie

20 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Thank you,.      Yes, Macaroons,  the ones I am used  to look very different   than  that photo,   mine have   (coconut)  and are not sandwich style cookies.

image.png.3cccdbd743946b8e6e0b93cf589b5002.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Macarons are a French pastry/cookie and they are so delicious.  Macaroons are the sweet coconut cookie found in the US.

there were macarons (but I did not notice macaroons) in the Crow's Nest on the Westerdam in June.

In the Crows Nest?   that is strange   

At the bar?

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

In the Crows Nest?   that is strange   

At the bar?

In the Crow’s Nest is Explorations cafe, they have a glass dish that about 80 per cent of the time is biscotti and macarons.  For me the quality of the macarons are not so good on the ship the crust is dry and crumbly and the filling is just plain icing, the crust should be chewy, not crumbly, I really like them too but no longer eat them on the ship.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:45 PM, beaming90 said:

Sailing from Seattle... But thank you for all the info!

You can get them in the airport.  Opposite gate C2 is a small stand called Lady Yum.  Hand made, small batch.  Support that small business.

Macarons are made with egg whites - like soufflés.  For extraordinarily great ones - try Sprüngli in Zürich.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:22 AM, anniegb said:

Sailed the Zaandam recently and they were definitely available in Explorations Café several times.

Annie

I got iced coffee  a number of   times at  Explorations on my recent Z aandam cruises.  While I did not look at what sweets they had I  did  not notice anything  that  looked like the oookies in the above  photo.