Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
AliceSprings

Vienna: what palace is the best?

Schronbrunn Palace or Hofburg Palace.  If you could only visit one which one would be the best to see?

Due to time restraints I dont think we could see both, as well as seeing other sights in Vienna.

Thanks for any good advice

1 hour ago, AliceSprings said:

Schronbrunn Palace or Hofburg Palace.  If you could only visit one which one would be the best to see?

Due to time restraints I dont think we could see both, as well as seeing other sights in Vienna.

Thanks for any good advice

If you are constrained by time, I would do the Hofburg because it is in the centre of Vienna, rather than somewhat farther out. (I have only done the Hofburg, so I can't compare.)

Shronbrunn Palace has amazing gardens and carriage house. Your ship probably offers an excursion. 

We were able to do both by leaving our ship's included morning excursion when it was returning to the ship, staying in town to visit the Imperial Apartments/Sisi Museum & Imperial Treasury. We had time to have lunch at the gorgeous Cafe Central, tour another small Museum, then take the metro & tram to Schonbrunn. I  bought timed tickets online the day before. We took the tram & metro back to the ship 

With your time constraints, I would give Schönbrunn a miss and visit the Hofburg Palace.  As others have mentioned, it is centrally located and thus easier combined with other sights you might want to see.  The Hofburg complex has a number of sights besides the imperial apartments which are interesting, such as the Spanish Riding School, the Imperial Treasury, the magnificent National Library, and the Capuchin crypt containing the tombs of many of the emperors and empresses and assorted archdukes and other royal nobility. I think it’s much more representative of the Austrian Empire than  the baroque/rococo  Schönbrunn, built in imitation of Versailles as so many 18th century European palaces were.  This is not to say that it isn’t worth seeing, but if you have to choose, I’d definitely opt for the Hofburg.

In fact if you have time for two palaces, then I would visit the Belvedere with its stunning collection of Klimts. 

I would be hard pressed to choose between the two. I am wondering why the OP is limited to either the Hofburg or Schonbrunn. We did both via DIY - got an early start in the morning and were at Schonbrunn a little before opening and beat the tourist hordes. Then we took the U4 over to Karlsplatz and walked to the Hofburg (also visited the Treasury). We also managed to fit-in many other sights including, St. Stephen's Cathedral, Peterskirche, the Capuchin Church to view the imperial tombs, and had a wonderful lunch in the process. We didn't head back to port until rather late in the evening as we elected to take the tram around the Ringstrasse to see the buildings lit by night - the Rathaus is quite a sight to behold.

Well it certainly is possible to visit both palaces in a day and also take in a few other sights. It all depends upon how important one considers seeing imperial palaces. I’d rather see only one and have time for a few more sights. I mentioned the Belvedere, but I’d also gladly trade a couple of hours at the Kunsthistorische Museum for time spent at Schönbrunn. But everyone has their own priorities. 

On 7/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, laverendrye said:

I mentioned the Belvedere, but I’d also gladly trade a couple of hours at the Kunsthistorische Museum for time spent at Schönbrunn. But everyone has their own priorities. 

Both the Belvedere (fabulous art collection, especially nice for Klimt fans) and the History Museum are wonderful - we have visited before on land trips (the Kunsthistorische is a must see for history buffs). However, Schonbrunn is amazing and, imho, not to be missed if one wishes to view the imperial splendor of the Hapsburgs - same with the Hofburg.

55 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Both the Belvedere (fabulous art collection, especially nice for Klimt fans) and the History Museum are wonderful - we have visited before on land trips (the Kunsthistorische is a must see for history buffs). However, Schonbrunn is amazing and, imho, not to be missed if one wishes to view the imperial splendor of the Hapsburgs - same with the Hofburg.

For those who haven’t visited it, the Kunsthistorische Museum is not a history museum as such but one of the great art galleries of the world. 

1 hour ago, laverendrye said:

For those who haven’t visited it, the Kunsthistorische Museum is not a history museum as such but one of the great art galleries of the world. 

Apologies - you are correct. I was confusing it with the Naturhistorisches Museum (2 entirely different animals to be sure).

The Kunsthistorische is an art museum that houses a varied collection, primarily those of the Habsburgs.