Queens Grill or Veranda Restaurant

TV Dad

On a recent cruise aboard QE we were treated by our friend to dinner in the Verandah. It was our first time at dinner since the Steakhouse theme was started. Our friend splurged on the Wagyu beef ($30 supplement) and was disappointed. We were given a sample by our friend. It was all right, to my taste, but not worth $30 over the fillet steak I had.

56 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Ì just read a thread about off menu ordering , Bigmike911 made a point of saying he orders caviar at all formal dinners, Caviar is a extra cost item in all other restaurants, no different to  Wagyu beef, so why be so indignant about someone wanting Wagyu beef. 

Caviar is on the menu in the Grills. 

10 hours ago, Chelsea1 said:

I think Caviar is available on the QG menu.

It just sounds rather arrogant to me to expect anything somebody fancies to be brought to them QG. Maybe it is just the way you say it.

Caviar isn't normally on the menu but you can ask for it.

The Cunard marketing material states:

Each course is thoughtfully prepared for you, with an air of sophistication, and no detail untouched. However, should you not see what you want, our chefs will do their very utmost to create whatever takes your fancy when you’re dining in the Queens Grill restaurant.

So I don't think its arrogant to ask - though obviously you should be polite in your request.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

Caviar isn't normally on the menu but you can ask for it.

The Cunard marketing material states:

Each course is thoughtfully prepared for you, with an air of sophistication, and no detail untouched. However, should you not see what you want, our chefs will do their very utmost to create whatever takes your fancy when you’re dining in the Queens Grill restaurant.

So I don't think its arrogant to ask - though obviously you should be polite in your request.

Thank you Se1lad

As you have said,  many threads have also said Caviar has been only available by request for some time

I always treat other people (especially staff)  the way I like to be treated. Even when upset by being refused something that was promised , you stay polite. As well as being rude, being rude doesn't work , you give up any advantage you have.

I do not like it when people make uninformed asumptions about other people's motives , that is what I define as arrogant.  If Wagyu beef is truly wagyu beef and well prepared it is superbly tender and tasty and I like it. That's why I order it,  it's no different to ordering anything else " off menu" .

Ordering "off menu " is a central part of the QG promise.

Advertising in the UK is governed by a strong code of conduct,  the heart of which it should be honest and accurate, the promises made form part of our contract with Cunard. There is nothing arrogant about expecting them to keep thier promises.

Certainly when the boot is on the other foot they hold customers to the letter of the contract, in the UK try getting your deposit back.

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

On one day yes,  but  to get it whenever you want it  at every gala dinner , it is an off menu item.

Indeed - that’s what I’d meant on my previous message when I said ‘normally’.

57 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I do not like it when people make uninformed asumptions about other people's motives , that is what I define as arrogant.  If Wagyu beef is truly wagyu beef and well prepared it is superbly tender and tasty and I like it. That's why I order it,  it's no different to ordering anything else " off menu" .

Agreed - and as it is already available in another restaurant on board you could argue it is potentially cheaper for Cunard to provide than something prepared from scratch that’s quite time consuming like Peking duck. 

11 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hey!

Leave my Peking Duck out of this!  🙂

Don't worry I will be ordering that too : )   Lets hope that we are not on the same cruise and there is only one left...........

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hey!

Leave my Peking Duck out of this!  🙂

36 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

Don't worry I will be ordering that too : )   Lets hope that we are not on the same cruise and there is only one left...........

You may be accused of being arrogant ordering a whole Peking duck,  when you can get a chicken leg from the buffet.😅🐤🦆🐥😁.

In fact bread and water each night may show true humility. 🍞🚰

Your suggestion of Peking duck and someone elses of an indian meal, made during (se1lad's) earlier thread promoted my wife and l to think of ordering Chinese night.

Long may we continue to enjoy the food we love during a well earned vacation. 

Our head waiter on one occasion offered to provide an Indian night. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, a word of warning. Sandro, on QV told us he was giving us an Italian night. The problem was he gave us 5 courses, and not insignificant amounts. The pasta course and main course were both prepared at our table. Wonderful meal, but just too much.

I'll stick to Peking Duck in future.

On the subject of procuring food from elsewhere, when we were on QM2 last year, we happened to mention to Oliver that we had been to the Smash and Grab at lunchtime for pizza. He told us that if we were ever in the mood for pizza again, just come to your own table and we will organise it for you.

The level of service in QG in all three ships is always oustanding.

8 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Advertising in the UK is governed by a strong code of conduct,  the heart of which it should be honest and accurate, the promises made form part of our contract with Cunard. There is nothing arrogant about expecting them to keep thier promises.

I've got no particular skin in this argument, but I don't recall seeing off-menu ordering being advertised by Cunard UK as a QG amenity although it may be lurking somewhere in the revamped web site: someone posted a brochure to a recent thread which specifically mentioned it, but it was a brochure for the US market. Off-menu is, as far as I can tell, one of those things which UK customers simply know about.

14 minutes ago, kentchris said:

Link? You've obviously found it.

It may be mentioned elsewhere, but the only place I've managed to find a reference to Queens Grill off-menu ordering on the Cunard website itself is this place in the FAQ.

What makes Queens Grill different to Princess Grill?

Quoting from that reference:

"For breakfast, lunch and dinner, you’ll have a table reserved in the Queens Grill Restaurant where the sublime menu is designed to whet every appetite. But, should you not see what you want, our chefs will do their very utmost to create whatever takes your fancy."

WoW! I never expected to stir such a spirited discussion with my QG-Verandah inquiry! I hope some of you are on my Hamburg to Kiel cruise this month. We can throw down a few martinis and talk about politics next!

Thanks for all your help, cruisers!

As a side note: I will be ordering Fruits de Mer one night (Verandah Restaurant style), but not Wagyu beef, since it has never been to my liking. I will also take BigMac1953's suggestion and order an Italian feast one night!

The brochure on grills which I downloaded last year is no longer there, unfortunately it was too big to up load on cruise critic. 

So it looks like references to off menu dining are becoming rare. I'd print it out whilst you can.

Angus Struthers Cunard Marketing Director , in response to a question about the similarity between princess grill and queens grills  menu did sat ,  in Queens grills you can always order of menu.  But this Q&A disappeared with the new CC web site.

Perhaps Host Hattie can ask about it being reinstated

The rather fulsome statement that was quoted about chefs doing their utmost...etc is still on the UK Q and As, or it was yesterday. Certainly on our latest cruise the Maître d' came round every day at lunch to ask if there was anything we would like.