Cruise Critic Community
sippican

Galapagos Problems

Luvscuba, Glad your having a wonderful time. One question...Was your Quito to Baltra flight a chartered flight by Celebrity? How could they justify that with only 33 passengers? Are they also still using Xploration? Like I said, one question.

1 hour ago, luvscuba said:

Celebrity is not going to be up front with anyone- that is clear. One of the naturalists said the boat is in dry dock and another said they were waiting for regulatory issues to be resolved. 

Your best bet is the message the Governing Council of the Galapagos. After my TA was told that the license was reinstated, I private messaged them via Twitter and was told that it had not been. The size of this ship - XPerience- is perfect (can hold 48, we have 33). I cannot imagine how 98 would be. The Twitter address is @CGGalapagos if you want to message them. They responded approx 2-3 days after my message. 

Please know that although the XPerience is an older ship, the staff are amazing. We have been having an amazing time. Knowing what I know now, I would not hesitate to take the Xperience and 50% refund and I wouldn’t consider the Flora at all.

THANK YOU for taking time on your vacation to keep those waiting in the loop.  Love those photos too!  Been waiting for this trip for well over a year (like many) and as planners we hate not knowing what is going on.

1 hour ago, MountainEER74 said:

Luvscuba, Glad your having a wonderful time. One question...Was your Quito to Baltra flight a chartered flight by Celebrity? How could they justify that with only 33 passengers? Are they also still using Xploration? Like I said, one question.

We did have a chartered flight for 33 passengers. It was basically your own row  per 2 people. They do offer an “upgrade” to first class for $225 per person round trip. Don’t bite on that. You will have plenty of room if you’re traveling on the Xperience (or Xpedition if it gets up and running) 

The XPloration is not cruising this week due to low demand. We did see it as we were transferring via the zodiac/panga from Baltra. 

If anyone has other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. I’m happy to help ease the anxiety that I also had prior to sailing. 

Luvscuba, also want to voice our thanks for being the "trail blazer" for all of us waiting anxiously for word on Xped.  Glad to hear you are enjoying your experience on the Xperience!!

If you don't mind at your convenience,  your input on two issues that made us lean toward our original choice for the Xpedition...

1)  Motion issues - As the Xped has 100-px capacity, ie, twice the size of Xperience, we felt that there would be less motion sickness issues.  Yes, we would bring medications, but have you noticed much motion issues?? I understand the the Xperience has no stabilizers...

2)  Dietary issues - My husband has a gluten sensitivity (not allergy, not celiac), so we have asked for a gluten-free diet for Xpedition, noting there would be more dining choices for a larger crowd/bigger ship.  I see that Xperience is mostly buffet-style dinners.  Has there been a decent variety of foods, with choices other than breads/breaded foods, flour products, heavy-gravy meals (which typically use wheat as the thickener)?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

This would help us decide if Xperience would be ok for us, besides the 50% refund!!

Again, enjoy the remainder of your adventure.  Much appreciate your input and reports back to all of us!!!

2 hours ago, luvscuba said:

Celebrity is not going to be up front with anyone- that is clear. One of the naturalists said the boat is in dry dock and another said they were waiting for regulatory issues to be resolved. 

Your best bet is the message the Governing Council of the Galapagos. After my TA was told that the license was reinstated, I private messaged them via Twitter and was told that it had not been. The size of this ship - XPerience- is perfect (can hold 48, we have 33). I cannot imagine how 98 would be. The Twitter address is @CGGalapagos if you want to message them. They responded approx 2-3 days after my message. 

Please know that although the XPerience is an older ship, the staff are amazing. We have been having an amazing time. Knowing what I know now, I would not hesitate to take the Xperience and 50% refund and I wouldn’t consider the Flora at all. 

BC64544C-BBED-427B-8007-84AEB4221A47.jpeg

19E0CD09-CFB2-4EB1-84A3-63FE8C964904.jpeg

Thanks for posting updates! I love your penguins photo! 

I think it's hard for Celebrity to be upfront when they themselves can only go week-by-week.  They can't tell us what they don't know.  President Lisa said they would be contacting the people who are affected but that's really not fair to the people who are not affected because how will we know if your vacation is good to go as planned if we never hear boo from them.  Some passengers are waiting to make more travel plans.  We can't just assume everything will be okay and book more things in South America while risking losing money if the plans change.

Interesting the ship is in dry dock.  The cruise tracking sites say it is anchored off Santa Elena on the mainland.  Anchored might just be a word they use for not being used.  But Santa Elena is a popular beach destination so, who knows. 

Economically, having the Xpedition run at half capacity is ridiculous.  If I were Celebrity, if I was only allowed to have 148 total passengers in the islands, I'd make plans to refurbish  Xperience in a hurry and then use it instead of Xpedition.  I'd refurbish Xpedition again, add more luxury suites, bring the occupancy back up to about 80 and then market it as a small ultra-luxury cruise ship capable of getting into tight places the big ships can't.  Little bays, rivers and secluded beaches in the Caribbean, Mediterranean or even South Pacific or Australia.  Maybe specialize in scuba tours for the wealthy.  I should be working for them.  Tell them how to do it right.  😉🤣

2 hours ago, savethepandas said:

2)  Dietary issues - My husband has a gluten sensitivity (not allergy, not celiac), so we have asked for a gluten-free diet for Xpedition, noting there would be more dining choices for a larger crowd/bigger ship.  I see that Xperience is mostly buffet-style dinners.  Has there been a decent variety of foods, with choices other than breads/breaded foods, flour products, heavy-gravy meals (which typically use wheat as the thickener)?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

This would help us decide if Xperience would be ok for us, besides the 50% refund!!

Again, enjoy the remainder of your adventure.  Much appreciate your input and reports back to all of us!!!

If you don’t mind, I’d like to weigh in here.

I can speak to my experience with a gluten-restricted diet aboard Xpedition, not Xperience (I am also not celiac). In spite of my efforts to notify the ship of my dietary needs in advance, they handled it very poorly. Even on Xpedition, meals, except for dinner, are buffets. Most items  were  labeled for allergies, but I found mistakes. For instance, breaded chicken parm, was labeled as GF. The staff was unable to tell me the ingredients in dressings and  sauces. I had no bread options so sandwiches were out of the question, as were hamburgers and hotdogs at the grill. They even usually mixed the rice with unknown spices/ingredients. I asked if they had GF noodles, white rice or pasta - all a big “no”. They could not tell me if the breakfast sausages were GF. I was given one type of hard round dinner roll every evening. I am not a picky eater, but after living on salad (no dressing), fruits and boiled eggs I was bored to tears and hungry! Dinner was a real treat because I could usually find something of substance. Dessert was jello or ice cream. Every afternoon they put out snacks following excursions - I had fruit.  During the excursion to the tortoise farm, no one could help me to know which food was safe - so I had salad, no dressing, no dessert. Truthfully, this was the first cruise I’ve ever been on where I lost weight. My point is I really wish I had been prepared and at least packed some safe snacks and GF bread, crackers, etc..  I do know of others who were very pleased with how their diet was handled, my experience was unacceptable. One of the senior staff members  apologized profusely to me on disembarkation day. 

I truly hope your DH has better luck.

Sippican,

Thanks so much for the heads up!  We will consider bringing in some GF snacks!

Was hoping there would be a bit more food diversity and dietary accommodations on a bigger ship, although if/when the Xped does sail with only 48 max, maybe the kitchen will scaled down anyways...

Nothing like operating in a black hole... with no light coming out of the hole!!!😟

3 hours ago, jamacka said:

I think it's hard for Celebrity to be upfront when they themselves can only go week-by-week.  They can't tell us what they don't know.  President Lisa said they would be contacting the people who are affected but that's really not fair to the people who are not affected because how will we know if your vacation is good to go as planned if we never hear boo from them.  Some passengers are waiting to make more travel plans.  We can't just assume everything will be okay and book more things in South America while risking losing money if the plans change.

Interesting the ship is in dry dock.  The cruise tracking sites say it is anchored off Santa Elena on the mainland.  Anchored might just be a word they use for not being used.  But Santa Elena is a popular beach destination so, who knows. 

Economically, having the Xpedition run at half capacity is ridiculous.  If I were Celebrity, if I was only allowed to have 148 total passengers in the islands, I'd make plans to refurbish  Xperience in a hurry and then use it instead of Xpedition.  I'd refurbish Xpedition again, add more luxury suites, bring the occupancy back up to about 80 and then market it as a small ultra-luxury cruise ship capable of getting into tight places the big ships can't.  Little bays, rivers and secluded beaches in the Caribbean, Mediterranean or even South Pacific or Australia.  Maybe specialize in scuba tours for the wealthy.  I should be working for them.  Tell them how to do it right.  😉🤣

President Lisa said look to the website for updates.  I have looked.  I've used every magic word in all the Harry Potter books.  I've pointed my wand at the pages.  

I see no updates for any date.  Nothing that says, we are sorry we had to cancel X cruise because of regulatory issues.  The only way we know a cruise has been cancelled is because some folks post here.

6 hours ago, jamacka said:

I think it's hard for Celebrity to be upfront when they themselves can only go week-by-week.  They can't tell us what they don't know. 

Being upfront is not telling people to look at a website for details -  that doesn't exist. The good ol' pass the buck - coming from the top.

Then when called on that, excusing that the website doesn't exist - because it's still subject to regulatory discussions. They could well put up a web page saying that if they were actually being upfront. But of course they don't want to because it will impact sales, and actually increase costs for them as they deal with enquiries, and may actually have to explain the issue, which they don't want to, because it doesn't look good on their management and planning, because it's their responsibility and error. So better to keep the paying customers in the dark, until the absolute last moment, regardless of the impact to the customers...

15 hours ago, savethepandas said:

Luvscuba, also want to voice our thanks for being the "trail blazer" for all of us waiting anxiously for word on Xped.  Glad to hear you are enjoying your experience on the Xperience!!

If you don't mind at your convenience,  your input on two issues that made us lean toward our original choice for the Xpedition...

1)  Motion issues - As the Xped has 100-px capacity, ie, twice the size of Xperience, we felt that there would be less motion sickness issues.  Yes, we would bring medications, but have you noticed much motion issues?? I understand the the Xperience has no stabilizers...

Just found this from a review of the Xperience from March 2018:

"We had 2 Vegetarians and one person on a Gluten Free diet and they were very happy with their choice of meals."

My partner is vegetarian and I emailed Celebrity just to make them aware - they said no problem as there is always a vegetarian option at meal times. Might be worth putting them in the picture regarding gluten free.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Being upfront is not telling people to look at a website for details -  that doesn't exist. The good ol' pass the buck - coming from the top.

Then when called on that, excusing that the website doesn't exist - because it's still subject to regulatory discussions. They could well put up a web page saying that if they were actually being upfront. But of course they don't want to because it will impact sales, and actually increase costs for them as they deal with enquiries, and may actually have to explain the issue, which they don't want to, because it doesn't look good on their management and planning, because it's their responsibility and error. So better to keep the paying customers in the dark, until the absolute last moment, regardless of the impact to the customers...

I can't make excuses for Celebrity and Lisa.  They put their big-girl pants on one leg at a time just like I do.  I'm only speculating.  In the past, when there have been major changes to itineraries that have affected a lot of people they have posted a bulletin-style announcement at the top of their page. They did so after the hurricanes did major damage to St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, etc... and would have to divert months worth of cruises to different ports.  When it comes to this licensing business, it's about politics and lawyers and anyone whose had to deal with either of those knows that when you dip into bureaucracy that deep, it takes time.  Lawyers move slowly.  Governments move even slower.   I believe Celebrity when they say they are going week-by-week. If the details are being hashed out between their lawyers and Ecuadorian legislatures then it is essentially out of their hands.  They can only sit and wait for news. 

I agree 100% that they should share the news with the public who are both booked for Galapagos and considering a cruise to Galapagos.  Xperience is not listed in their fleet anymore.  They should simply post a message saying something like "Due to temporary mixed up in licensing, affected passengers currently booked aboard to Xpedition will be transferred to either the Flora or Xperience and receive a 50% (or whatever % makes sense) discount on their fare to cover their inconvenience." 

But beyond that, how do they tell people something they don't know?  One thing I have seen on the webpage: The number of passengers on the Xpedition has only recently been reduced from 100 to 48.  I have been keeping a very close watch on this number because we were told last November when we booked that the number of passengers would be reduced to 64 but it was never changed on the website.  It has stayed at 100 until just recently so on paper at least, it looked like Celebrity was still taking 100 people aboard the Xpedition, which might have very well contributed to this problem they are having now.  For all we know maybe Celebrity WAS still taking on 100 people on the Xpedition, trying to slip it past the authorities.  Or maybe they just forgot to update their webpage which is most likely because we all know, their webpage has a history of deficiencies.  All I know is that the agent at Future Cruises aboard the Silhouette told us with no hesitation that  the Xpedition was going to be refurbished and number of passengers reduced to 64 and that the two smaller ships would be removed from service.  That smaller number is why we chose Xpedition instead of Flora.  Celebrity would still be able to accommodate the same total number of people as before the Flora.. 164.  For some reason, they lost 16 passengers through all this and are now down to 148.  If they were originally told they could continue with 164 but suddenly are told it can only be 148, to me, that's a legal issue Celebrity would be very interested in pursuing as it amounts to a loss of projected revenue of about $135,000 per cruise... every 7 days.  That's a significant loss.

Edited by jamacka
typo

1 hour ago, jamacka said:

For some reason, they lost 16 passengers through all this and are now down to 148.  If they were originally told they could continue with 164 but suddenly are told it can only be 148, to me, that's a legal issue Celebrity would be very interested in pursuing as it amounts to a loss of projected revenue of about $135,000 per cruise... every 7 days.  That's a significant loss.

I'm not sure they have a leg to stand on. They lost the 16 licenses because, according to the news posted,  they broke the Ecuadorian law that clearly states that licenses may not be combined. (48 from Xperience and 16 from Xploration) So, if someone "told" them it would be allowed, their legal team dropped the ball. 

It is still unclear if the government will even approve the 48 for Xpedition as I understand there is also red tape with a different environmental issue.

I am doubtful the Xpedition carrying 48 will be a long-range plan, just a temporary fix while they sort things out. They certainly will not be content allowing 16 valuable licenses sitting unused week after week. 

The government gave ititial approval, but the residents protested the perceived "favoritism" to large corporations.  It is also important to note that the government and merchants in the islands are losing that revenue from National Park fees per person, and merchant income. I presume some staff has been cut too. X has received numerous awards for their environmental initiatives in the Galapagos and generous monetary contributions both from the company and passengers. I'm sure they are working collaboratively to solve the issue. I'm thinking there may be some sort of exception made. Of course money talks loudly.

4 hours ago, IAN TREVES said:

Just found this from a review of the Xperience from March 2018:

"We had 2 Vegetarians and one person on a Gluten Free diet and they were very happy with their choice of meals."

My partner is vegetarian and I emailed Celebrity just to make them aware - they said no problem as there is always a vegetarian option at meal times. Might be worth putting them in the picture regarding gluten free.

Thanks for the input!

Yes, for sure, if we end up on the Xperience, I will notify them again about GF diet, as I did with Xpedition.

21 hours ago, savethepandas said:

The boat rocked a lot on the first day/night. It seems most people have patches on to prevent sea sickness. I would definitely recommend some type of medication. It does move quite a bit. 

The food has been amazing. Breakfast and lunch are buffets. Dinner is a sit down. They have such fresh food and I haven’t seen anything fried except mini empanadas snacks after an activity. The food really is so fresh - we have loved it. This morning I also noticed they were offering gluten free bread. 

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, luvscuba said:

The boat rocked a lot on the first day/night. It seems most people have patches on to prevent sea sickness. I would definitely recommend some type of medication. It does move quite a bit. 

The food has been amazing. Breakfast and lunch are buffets. Dinner is a sit down. They have such fresh food and I haven’t seen anything fried except mini empanadas snacks after an activity. The food really is so fresh - we have loved it. This morning I also noticed they were offering gluten free bread. 

Hope this helps!

Yes, definitely, this helps!

Again, much appreciate all your reports back to all of us!

Enjoy the remainder of your trip and safe travels home!!

6 hours ago, sippican said:

I'm not sure they have a leg to stand on. They lost the 16 licenses because, according to the news posted,  they broke the Ecuadorian law that clearly states that licenses may not be combined. (48 from Xperience and 16 from Xploration) So, if someone "told" them it would be allowed, their legal team dropped the ball. 

It is still unclear if the government will even approve the 48 for Xpedition as I understand there is also red tape with a different environmental issue.

I am doubtful the Xpedition carrying 48 will be a long-range plan, just a temporary fix while they sort things out. They certainly will not be content allowing 16 valuable licenses sitting unused week after week. 

The government gave ititial approval, but the residents protested the perceived "favoritism" to large corporations.  It is also important to note that the government and merchants in the islands are losing that revenue from National Park fees per person, and merchant income. I presume some staff has been cut too. X has received numerous awards for their environmental initiatives in the Galapagos and generous monetary contributions both from the company and passengers. I'm sure they are working collaboratively to solve the issue. I'm thinking there may be some sort of exception made. Of course money talks loudly.

I had no idea about the no combining of the licenses.   It's weird in a way, though when you think of it.   Wouldn't;t it be better from a marine traffic point of view to reduce the number of ships from 3 to 2.  The number of passengers could remain the same which is obviously important to Celebrity but as you point out, it's important to the tourist industry of the Galapagos as well.    It just seems like a win-win to be able to combine the licenses and reduce the marine traffic in what is a pretty sensitive ecological marine treasure.

I guess I'm not too worried about it, personally.  It'll either work out fine or we'll get placed elsewhere.  All our travel arrangements have been booked through Celebrity so it'll be their nickel if there's a change.  I don't particularly want to end up on the Flora, though. If it's not going to be the Xpedition then I would much prefer the Xperience.  

1 hour ago, jamacka said:

...I don't particularly want to end up on the Flora, though. If it's not going to be the Xpedition then I would much prefer the Xperience.  

Just curious, but why would you not want to end up on the Flora?

I just want to say how very much I appreciate everyone posting on this thread. My husband and I are scheduled for the Xpedition 9/7 sailing and we had NO IDEA any of this was happening. I contacted my TA who said " oh no, they would have let us know if something had changed about your cruise."  I just feel so much better informed and able to think ahead about choices after reading this information, learning that people weren't notified until days before they were to leave.  I had seen the cabins disappear from deck 3 on the website but I just thought something was wrong with their website- silly me. Again, thanks to everyone posting.

40 minutes ago, SaltwaterLee said:

Just curious, but why would you not want to end up on the Flora?

it really has nothing to do with the ship.  It looks beautiful.  Its just for this particular cruise we kind of wanted a smaller ship with fewer people.  Smaller lines-ups to get on and off, maybe even smaller groups on shore.  Plus, at the time when we booked, we were able to get an Xpedition Suite for less than what a similar Flora suite was.  Now they are about equal in price I think but last November it was  less expensive enough to make us choose it over Flora... so that combined with passenger number.  I would totally take Flora to any other destination.  I kind of wish Celebrity would have a few more small cruise ships like that for Caribbean cruises.  

So this is kind of funny... our agent at Celebrity called here yesterday and asked for my brother-in-law.  She left a message that made it sound like a cold call.  We had taken a cruise with my sister and BIL a few years ago and we thought it was possible that somehow wires got crossed back at X-HQ and they got my BIL's name but our phone # mixed up.  Anyhow, she called again tonight and my husband spoke with her and straightened it all out.  She was actually calling us but somehow my BIL's name was swapped in.  Anyhow, the call wasn't about anything in particular but we took the opportunity to ask her about our November cruise on the Xpedition.  She told us not to worry.  That she was quite sure it would be straightened out by then but if it wasn't we'd be taken care of and compensated.  

A few years ago friends of ours had an expensive Baltic cruise (not sure the cruise line) and pre and post travelling planned.  For some reason the cruise got overbooked and they ended up not being able to go.  They got all their money back, had the cruise rebooked to the following year at NO CHARGE and an upgraded cabin. Again.. I don't know the cruise line.   They decided they'd still take a trip to Ireland since they had the plane tickets  and their AirBNB booked there as part of their pre-cruise trip but what the cruise line gave them for the inconvenience was an extremely sweet deal.  

I am in no way suggesting Celebrity would give us that kind of sweet deal for any inconvenience we may suffer as a result of the Xpedition mix up.  Its just a cool thing that happened to our friends.  We've never been that lucky.

2 minutes ago, jamacka said:

it really has nothing to do with the ship.  It looks beautiful.  Its just for this particular cruise we kind of wanted a smaller ship with fewer people.  Smaller lines-ups to get on and off, maybe even smaller groups on shore.  Plus, at the time when we booked, we were able to get an Xpedition Suite for less than what a similar Flora suite was.  Now they are about equal in price I think but last November it was  less expensive enough to make us choose it over Flora... so that combined with passenger number.  I would totally take Flora to any other destination.  I kind of wish Celebrity would have a few more small cruise ships like that for Caribbean cruises.  

I see, so you just want a smaller ship.

As for prices, we happened to get interested in the Galapagos right when they were really doing deals this spring on the Flora, with the 1/2 off second person, airfare, and then an additional $1000 discount for captains club members at the time we booked it was much lower to go on the Flora than anything else they offered at the time. It was so low I though at first it must have been a pricing mistake, but it seems they were just trying to fill a new ship and were willing to do some big discounts. We aren't big cruise people, but we are learning quickly that it seems that prices change every time you search so we can see how it's really just a matter of when you look and decide to book it as to what the best offer might be. 

8 minutes ago, SaltwaterLee said:

I see, so you just want a smaller ship.

As for prices, we happened to get interested in the Galapagos right when they were really doing deals this spring on the Flora, with the 1/2 off second person, airfare, and then an additional $1000 discount for captains club members at the time we booked it was much lower to go on the Flora than anything else they offered at the time. It was so low I though at first it must have been a pricing mistake, but it seems they were just trying to fill a new ship and were willing to do some big discounts. We aren't big cruise people, but we are learning quickly that it seems that prices change every time you search so we can see how it's really just a matter of when you look and decide to book it as to what the best offer might be. 

yes.. smaller ship.   

We never seem to get the deals.  We're stupid about our timing.  A few years ago we booked a cruise right before Celebrity had a huge Black Friday sale.  :classic_dry:  We'll always seem to book right before they offer deals on perks.  But still, we keep cruising.. desperately trying to get enough Captains Club point to get us that free bag of laundry.  LOL!

Thank you LUVSCUBA for the onboard reporting, HOPEFULLY traveling c StartrainDD to Galapagos this Thanksgiving, funny that no mention was made to us before final payment was made. However, reading through the CelebrityGate saga is great fun. I'm always amazed that big corporations like RCCL can have colossal screw-ups, cover-ups and then manage to stay in business. Still hoping this will turn out to be one of our bucket list adventures, and all the associated drama will enrichen the post trip tales. Heck before the C-Gate story broke, I was fretting over what are the best socks to take, and not having a laundry package. A weekly email update loaded with great photos from Celebrity (Flora & Xperience trips) about the Galapagos, would go a long way with RCCL's PR.  Most folks understand _ _it Happens!, just want reassurance that they are working on solutions. LUVSCUBA keep on sending enticing stuff!!!!Thank you