Cruise Critic Community
sippican

Galapagos Problems

Ok, get this.   Had my TA Che k with Celebrity to see if we could add MP extension to our already booked and paid for Nov 28th 10 day Quito/Galapagos.

Our TA was told it would be $16,249.00 ADDITIONAL for us to add the 4 day extension as well as change our air.

WHAT???   That is more than we paid for the whole trip...he said he questioned them, but they continued to say the same thing !!!

Does anyone have a trip to MP with a private company planned  we might try to do our originally purchased trip with air and then break off after we get back to Quito and arrange our own trip and air back home !!

Any suggestions ??

We went with celebrity and the extension was great, but not anywhere near that price.  As I’ve observed before, decide first his long you want to be at Machu Picchu.   If you want to stay overnight, you need a private tour, not celebrity.  

Hi Hillslife. My husband and I did MP with Trip Peru.  They offered us several options to choose. We opted for overnight at MP so my husband could climb the mountain. The cost was very reasonable compared to Celebrity’s add on.  Trip Peru linked up with Condor travel for some of our tours, and transportation. We stayed in 3 different hotels (5 nights, all nice). We had to leave our suitcases at the second hotel, and travel with backpacks for 2 hotels (including MP) because of Train restrictions. Our last night was back to hotel where we left our suitcases.  We were picked up and dropped off everywhere we were suppose to be. Had included breakfast at all hotels. Some drivers did not speak English, but all hotels and guides did.  It was an amazing  trip.  The attitude did affected us.  I loved the people, especially all the brilliant color clothing. Most of our travel arrangements were by private driver,  except flights, and some tours. Libby

Thank you for the Trip Peru tip..  I did see their website on the Internet. Looks like great trips, very flexible and much better pricing than celebrity.     Did you start your trip in lima or in Cusco?     Looks like they offer both options I’m just contemplating which will be easier to get to from Quito on our own .

We have a concern about the altitude also, that’s why I delayed in booking it but we think we’re gonna go ahead and try it if I can get the arrangements made .

Now my dilemma is are we going to get canceled on the Xpedition , what if they move us to another ship and it’s a different day, how do I book a post tour when I don’t know exactly what day we’re getting off the ship. This is frustrating 😵😵

Looking forward to hearing from people that are traveling September to see if they’re back on track with dates and ships 🚢 

appreciate all the input...

This morning, Cruise mapper has the Xp off the coast of Puerto Lopez, not in Salinas ???

Has it really moved, and is this a good sign???

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, rachiem said:

The ship is on the move, too! For some time, it was off the coast near Guayaquil and today it's moving North. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9228368

Edited by bpmba
typo

45 minutes ago, savethepandas said:

This morning, Cruise mapper has the Xp off the coast of Puerto Lopez, not in Salinas ???

I just posted the same thing. I think it really has moved!

and moving... further north of Puerto Lopez, where I saw it earlier this morning... will it turn west soon??

🤞🤞

Has deck 3 definitely lost those cabins. 

The UK site shows that they are still there and when I called, I was told that they would be staying?

We are cabin 304 !

I had given up looking at Cruisemapper, let's hope this is a good sign!

They've probably taken the tracking device out and put it on another boat just to shut us up :classic_biggrin:.

14 hours ago, hillslife said:

Ok, get this.   Had my TA Che k with Celebrity to see if we could add MP extension to our already booked and paid for Nov 28th 10 day Quito/Galapagos.

Our TA was told it would be $16,249.00 ADDITIONAL for us to add the 4 day extension as well as change our air.

WHAT???   That is more than we paid for the whole trip...he said he questioned them, but they continued to say the same thing !!!

Does anyone have a trip to MP with a private company planned  we might try to do our originally purchased trip with air and then break off after we get back to Quito and arrange our own trip and air back home !!

Any suggestions ??

Lots of options for about 1/3 of that price.  We did it for about 15% of that price with 3 star hotels (our focus is MP, not overnight accommodations).  For example, PeruForLess.com has customizable tours available (hotels. etc.)  Cuscojourneys.com also allows customization. 

It was really quite easy to do.  I know that people tout the Celebrity excursion as "seamless" but we are able to handle a few things on our own, even though our tour operator basically handled 95% of the arrangements.  Honestly, for that kind of dough you could easily fly home, spend some time there, fly back to Lima, do 5 or 6 days, then fly home.  Easily.  And have another trip in pocket change.

13 hours ago, hillslife said:

Any suggestions ??

Ok- you are getting ripped off to say the least- Having worked as a short term missionary for several Peru trips, overall Peru is very inexpensive. I would highly suggest that you spend ONE night at the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge, (only lodge on the mountain itself) it is well worth the splurge. If you took the first train from Cuzco to MP in the am, explore MP, spend the night at the lodge get up early and climb the peak, have a late lunch at the lodge and then return to Cuzco. Flights from Lima are really cheap to Cuzco.

Besides MP, Arequipa is a beautiful city to visit surrounded by volcanoes, the Colcha Canyon is magnificent and home to lots of Condors and Lake Titicaca are all great places. For a fraction of that price you can likely organize a special land only trip. I have a good friend who is a missionary to the indigenous people of the canyon. One of his supporters (a Peruvian) runs tourist trips in this area. If you want to contact him email me at mrhearing@cs.com

Posted (edited)

And ... the joy of Xpedition being on-the-move-and-possibly-a-positive-sign is short lived. I just got "the call" with the following options for the 9/7 departure:

-Go on Xploration and get 50% of the cruise price (minus fees and taxes) refunded

-Go on Flora (departing one day later 9/8) at no upcharge and get up to a $400 refund pp if flights need to be changed and there's a change fee

-Cancel altogether and get 100% refund (minus fees and taxes) + credit for a future cruise

With #3 not an option (I NEED THIS VACATION), which one would you pick? 

Edited by bpmba
e

That is a tough one- my wife would pick the Flora at no extra charge, I'd pick the Xploration and book another cruise the 50% refund! Bottom line you can't lose either way!!!!

4 minutes ago, savethepandas said:

And there was no offer of the Xperience (the 48-pax) ship, only the 16-pax Xploration???

Nope - Xperience was not offered.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, miltonplane88 said:

That is a tough one- my wife would pick the Flora at no extra charge, I'd pick the Xploration and book another cruise the 50% refund! Bottom line you can't lose either way!!!!

Well, because we had to coordinate with 2 other couples on what to do, we lost out on the Xploration. It filled up almost immediately. It's the Flora for us! 

Edited by bpmba

Appreciate all the updated info .. it seems like it is a cruise to cruise “wait and see”... hopefully Xpedition is moving and will be ready for travelers soon🤞🤞

Keeps us all on our toes, for sure!!

If I am made the same offer I think I might go with the Xploration or Xperience if that ends up in the mix.

I like the idea of the Flora and it being a new luxury vessel but it would slightly mess with our existing booking of the two days in Quito pre and post cruise. We would gain a day pre and lose a day post as our flights to and out of Quito are already booked, paid for and non refundable. 

This would mean leaving Celebrity to sort things out with the Marriott and I’m not confident it would happen smoothly.

I think I would like to keep everything as it is for peace of mind and start the cruise on the same day as originally planned.

I wasn’t sure about the Xploration or Xperience at first but after doing a bit of research they do appeal especially with a 50% refund.

This holiday is more about the location than the vessel, Xploration & Xperience look

fine to me. With only 16 or 48 passengers it might turn out to be a better overall experience.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, IAN TREVES said:

If I am made the same offer I think I might go with the Xploration or Xperience if that ends up in the mix.

I like the idea of the Flora and it being a new luxury vessel but it would slightly mess with our existing booking of the two days in Quito pre and post cruise. We would gain a day pre and lose a day post as our flights to and out of Quito are already booked, paid for and non refundable. 

This would mean leaving Celebrity to sort things out with the Marriott and I’m not confident it would happen smoothly.

I think I would like to keep everything as it is for peace of mind and start the cruise on the same day as originally planned.

I wasn’t sure about the Xploration or Xperience at first but after doing a bit of research they do appeal especially with a 50% refund.

This holiday is more about the location than the vessel, Xploration & Xperience look

fine to me. With only 16 or 48 passengers it might turn out to be a better overall experience.

We were so happy with our decision to go on the Xperience. It was an amazing trip and one that i will never forget. I daydream about it all of the time. I loved the smaller #s of people and the friendships that were able to be made as a result. And the 50% off was a huge bonus and has paid for next summer's vacation. 

(the week that we sailed 8/10-8/17, the Xploration did not sail)

It definitely looks like the Xpedition moved north up to Manta. Makes one wonder if the ship is getting supplies and cleaned up.  I will reach out to a few of the naturalists from my cruise and see if they have any updates. 

Edited by luvscuba

We are also sailing with others (Miltonplane88) on Nov. 23.  Loved reading recent reports on the Xperience and would certainly take that option if offered.  Of course, being part of just 48 on the Xpedition would be rather neat as well, so long as all four of us stay onboard.

Not sure about the Xploration; being that small raises some concerns for us (the boat's stability and food choices).  We have enough leeway in our travel schedule that switching to Fiora would work.  We would need to juggle a "Train to the Volcanos" trip from the day after the cruise to the Friday before.

6 hours ago, savethepandas said:

I assume two Ecuadorian fishermen have been given the Xpedition's tracker and are rowing about off the coast.

2 hours ago, bpmba said:

And ... the joy of Xpedition being on-the-move-and-possibly-a-positive-sign is short lived. I just got "the call" with the following options for the 9/7 departure:

-Go on Xploration and get 50% of the cruise price (minus fees and taxes) refunded

-Go on Flora (departing one day later 9/8) at no upcharge and get up to a $400 refund pp if flights need to be changed and there's a change fee

-Cancel altogether and get 100% refund (minus fees and taxes) + credit for a future cruise

With #3 not an option (I NEED THIS VACATION), which one would you pick? 

Take the money.