Jump to content

Galapagos Problems


sippican
 Share

Recommended Posts

Been following on the Roll Call thread too and hoping this works out favorably for the folks booked on the Xpedition We ended up switching to the Flora Outer Loop with the BOGOHO being the same price as the suite we had on the Xpedition. Sailing July 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was able to book an Xpedition room for a May 2021 cruise this morning.    The difference between the room price (granted we're comparing Oceanview versus the cheapest Flora suite) was $6K.    That price difference just wasn't worth going with the new ship.    If the issue with Xpedition isn't fixed, then hopefully we'll get an offer to move to the Flora for less of a price difference.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually had a math error on the price difference.   It was actually $7K!    I am also waiting patiently for the pricing on the new Silversea ship to come in.   If the "old" Silversea's ship the Galapagos was available in 2021 then we'd probably go that route.   The latest pricing (July, 2020) for this ship isn't bad.    Silversea has no pricing for their new ship (and the new ship completely replaces the Silver Galapagos),  but if the price bump from Galapagos to the new Origin is anywhere near the price increase from the Xpedition to the Flora, then there is no way we'd book it.     That's too expensive for a vacation where the islands and the ocean is how you are spending most of your day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Folkfan13 said:

I was able to book an Xpedition room for a May 2021 cruise this morning.    The difference between the room price (granted we're comparing Oceanview versus the cheapest Flora suite) was $6K.    That price difference just wasn't worth going with the new ship.    If the issue with Xpedition isn't fixed, then hopefully we'll get an offer to move to the Flora for less of a price difference.

Clever move especially if this type of sailing was already in the planning

 

We have a sailing in early 2020 that may get impacted by dry dock.

Holding it t see if they have to adjust/make us an offer

Already have other plans booked..and have to time to wait and see what develops

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the reply that I had from Celebrity regarding the problems:

 

Celebrity have built another ship - Celebrity Flora - specifically to sail Galapagos - and she has just arrived this month. As a result of this the island authorities have put in a temporary restriction on Celebrity Xpedition sailing to the same islands on the same weekend as Flora and unfortunatley this has meant we have had to cancel about four Xpedition sailings so far.

We hope and belive this will be a temporary issue and we are working with the Galapagos authorities to make adjustments to the required sailing licences that will allow both ships to sail but there is a chance it may affect cruise for a few weeks more.

Should the situation change and affecting Xpedition long term, we would advise everybody who has booked with the details and options available, as soon as we are aware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were on Expedition in Jan.  We were told that Flora would be doing the inner and outer loops that Expedition had been doing.  The remodeled Expedition with max 64 passengers would take over the southern and northern loops for the other 2 small ships.

 

Flora looks beautiful but it seems quite similar to the Expedition except that the cabins all have balconies.  I would recommend doing the 10 or 11 day cruise tour packages which includes pre and post days in Quito and flight to and from Baltra.  We did Machu Picchu on our own with a company that did all the arrangements and included a private guide for all the tours.  Ended up being less expensive than the Celebrity extension and we were able to add a few days and tours that we wanted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, nesheiml said:

We were on Expedition in Jan.  We were told that Flora would be doing the inner and outer loops that Expedition had been doing.  The remodeled Expedition with max 64 passengers would take over the southern and northern loops for the other 2 small ships.

 

Yes, that was the plan, until this glitch happened.

We are booked on Xpedition for 2021

 

Rachiem, Thanks for reporting back. The explanation makes sense according to the reasoning given by the government citing environmental impact.  I bet they'll look at revising the itineraries to comply with the "alternating week" requirements.  I'm anxious to see because we specifically chose our Xpedition itinerary to include North Seymour Island. We'll need to do some rearranging if that is deleted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, nesheiml said:

  We did Machu Picchu on our own with a company that did all the arrangements and included a private guide for all the tours.  Ended up being less expensive than the Celebrity extension and we were able to add a few days and tours that we wanted.

We are considering this as well.  Please email any info you can share.  user1203@aol.com

 

Art

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, doubled said:

We are considering this as well.  Please email any info you can share.  user1203@aol.com

 

Art

We did Cusco and Machu Picchu for four days on our way down to Chile to pick up our Celebrity cruise.  Celebrity wanted $3700 for less days.  Our tour with private guides and 4 star hotels cost $799, plus airfare from Lima to Cusco (about $120 pp).  We spent less than $1000 on our great tour.  Machu Picchu was amazing.  Our tour company was peruagency.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If youy are considering a private MP extension, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If  its all about saving money, you can absolutley do it for less. We had every intention on doing it privately but when it came down to convenience and quality, we revised our reservation. A few things to consider: transfers and baggage handling - all facilitated by X, air (3 flights - Quito to Lima, Liima to Cusco, Cusco to Lima) - guides with us in all airports, hotels - all 5 star,  all meals, additional excursions beyond MP for all 5 days (we also had a body guard in some instances), Vista Dome train and Hiram Bingham train on return (fantastic!), driver plus at least one guide -  usually more, all tips included. If I had done all of these components outside of X it would have cost substantially more. 

 

We are committed DIYers, so a private tour was most attractive to us. I do know some that have done is privately and have been very happy, and a few that wished they had not. Of course you have the opportunity for one-on-one which is a huge benefit. Celebrity will break down groups into 10-12 for the extension, and even smaller for actual tour of sacred valley and MP.  In hindsight, we were very glad we stuck with X. We made the decision for some of the same reasons we chose X  for the cruise portion rather than a smaller, less expensive Galapagos  cruise experience.  I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose if you do your homework.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was booked for next week starting on 13 July and just got an email today saying sailing is cancelled. They are offering some other small ship with a 50 percent discount. This stinks   I booked my flights already. Going to just hang out in Ecuador and cancel cruise. In our experience Celebrity is an awful company. They screwed up our Argentina cruise last year. Last time i do business with them

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tonga said:

Was booked for next week starting on 13 July and just got an email today saying sailing is cancelled. They are offering some other small ship with a 50 percent discount. This stinks   I booked my flights already. Going to just hang out in Ecuador and cancel cruise. In our experience Celebrity is an awful company. They screwed up our Argentina cruise last year. Last time i do business with them

Did they offer the other ship for the same time period?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tonga said:

Was booked for next week starting on 13 July and just got an email today saying sailing is cancelled. They are offering some other small ship with a 50 percent discount. This stinks   I booked my flights already. Going to just hang out in Ecuador and cancel cruise. In our experience Celebrity is an awful company. They screwed up our Argentina cruise last year. Last time i do business with them

 

I’m sorry you have been messed around so close to departure. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, tonga said:

Was booked for next week starting on 13 July and just got an email today saying sailing is cancelled. They are offering some other small ship with a 50 percent discount. This stinks   I booked my flights already. Going to just hang out in Ecuador and cancel cruise. In our experience Celebrity is an awful company. They screwed up our Argentina cruise last year. Last time i do business with them

 

That stinks!

Was it the Xperience or Xploration they offered? I am surprised that they still have licenses for those. Did you try to negotiate for the Flora - that would have been appropriate compensation for the last minute cancellation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, sippican said:

 

That stinks!

Was it the Xperience or Xploration they offered? I am surprised that they still have licenses for those. Did you try to negotiate for the Flora - that would have been appropriate compensation for the last minute cancellation. 

They offered the Xperience with 50 percent refund. Same dates. Anyone have experience on this ship?  I have non refundable airline tickets booked on american

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, tonga said:

They offered the Xperience with 50 percent refund. Same dates. Anyone have experience on this ship?  I have non refundable airline tickets booked on american

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1989162-xpedition-anyone-recently-back-part-3/page/182/

 

Go to this forum and check out post #4534. They had the same thing happen. 

Truthfully, I'd take the cruise on Xperience for half-price in a heartbeat.

Orrrrr .... tell them you'll take a future cruise on Flora with air included (which is their current promotion), and follow your plan to just fly to Ecuador and enjoy!

Edited by sippican
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Tonga:

 

I agree wholeheartedly with sippican's suggestion for you stay with your existing  Xperience reservation at half the price.  My husband & I were on the June 15th sailing with the Quito Extension and we were so happy that we kept our reservation.  We loved the intimate feeling of the smaller ship and the opportunity to get to know everyone on board.  The service provided by Celebrity was exceptional from the time we were picked up at the airport until we departed for home.  The weather at this time of the year is perfect - not too hot.

 

Go and enjoy the Islands.  They are truly special.

 

Michelle

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, sippican said:

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1989162-xpedition-anyone-recently-back-part-3/page/182/

 

Go to this forum and check out post #4534. They had the same thing happen. 

Truthfully, I'd take the cruise on Xperience for half-price in a heartbeat.

Orrrrr .... tell them you'll take a future cruise on Flora with air included (which is their current promotion), and follow your plan to just fly to Ecuador and enjoy!

Thanks for the link and recommendation. Going to give it a shot. We had waited for so long and planned this for a couple of years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tonga said:

Thanks for the link and recommendation. Going to give it a shot. We had waited for so long and planned this for a couple of years. 

 

Hope you have a fantastic time!

Please report back to aid others who may be facing the same issue,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...