Day train trips from London - seeking advice

I’ve always thought it a bit odd when folks seek recommendations for excursions or things to do in different ports, because what appeals to one person may not appeal to another. Now I find myself, however, on a similar quest 🙂.  

Here’s the problem I’m trying to solve: DH and I will be in London ~3.5 days before we go to Southampton. DH was an exchange student in high school in London, so we have a good idea of the sites to see there. I want to take a train trip through the English countryside to a town, explore for a couple of hours, have lunch, and return without spending the entire day away from London—maybe still have a large part of the afternoon to visit London sites, hit pubs, that kind of thing. Is there a destination that will provide bucolic scenery on the journey to it that keeps us about a half a day or so? 

Please understand that I’m not minimizing the beauty of the destination city, because it will be amazing regardless, I’m sure, but rather am trying to get the best of both worlds in the journey to as well. 

Not sure if it matters, but we will be in London the last week of August. 

Many thanks!

Edited by piemom9397
Added timeframe

Brighton, Oxford or Cambridge.

All are about an hour from central London stations.

Oxford may have a slightly more interesting route,  it is very flat land to Cambridge so not much to see.

Brighton is on the coast, if you fancy a day at the seaside.

Maybe the Thames Valley, somewhere like Goring & Streatley or Henley-on-Thames, both by Great Western Railway from Paddington. Or Great Missenden on the Chilterns Railways line  from Marylebone. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Like 1

We did a day trip to Windsor. I had been there many, many years ago but appreciated it a lot more. Of course a bit touristy, but a nice tour of the Castle and a walk around. I wish I had know we could just go across a bridge and be in Eaton. Would love to back and see what that side of the river is like!

Thank you, all, for the suggestions! I think we’ve decided to go to Marlow, thanks to Cotswold Eagle’s Thames Valley locale suggestion. We still have time to do more research but this gives me a lot to look into. 

I appreciate y'all so much! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jst4fun715 said:

We did a day trip to Windsor. I had been there many, many years ago but appreciated it a lot more. Of course a bit touristy, but a nice tour of the Castle and a walk around. I wish I had know we could just go across a bridge and be in Eaton. Would love to back and see what that side of the river is like!

Some photos of Eton for you. 

IMG_20190422_133254.jpg

IMG_20190422_133142.jpg

IMG_20190422_133100.jpg

IMG_20190422_133046.jpg

IMG_20190422_133040.jpg

IMG_20190422_132446.jpg

IMG_20190422_131827.jpg

IMG_20190422_133456.jpg

IMG_20190422_133311.jpg