Large Cabanas...Great Stirrup Cay

Tminish

Hello all..First let me say, please don't get upset about another cabana thread. Lol. I'm here to get an opinion and I have searched high and low and can't find anything. All I've found in searching are people comparing cabanas to the villas and Haven area on the island. And although the villas would be the way to go, my bank account says otherwise. Lol!

So, I booked a large cabana for my cruise in October and I am curious to know if you've booked a large cabana before what number and did you like it or not? I would like one closest to the restrooms so it won't be a very long walk. 

Also, it's been a few years since I booked a cabana before (small) do they still do it where you have to go to the shore excursions desk once you board to pick your number? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for taking time to read my topic. 

I don’t remember, unfortunately, what number we had (was large).  I believe the restrooms were a walk away, not easy to get to (no good path). We were assigned one once we got on the island. 

Be warned... once you do cabana, you could never do “regular “ again... well worth the $$ (not much shade at all in the island, I believe). 

14 minutes ago, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

I don’t remember, unfortunately, what number we had (was large).  I believe the restrooms were a walk away, not easy to get to (no good path). We were assigned one once we got on the island. 

Be warned... once you do cabana, you could never do “regular “ again... well worth the $$ (not much shade at all in the island, I believe). 

Interesting..So they don’t let you pick your own anymore. Not sure I like that. Lol. 

A few years ago I had a small cabana. Now I’m going back and got a large. I agree, once you get one it’s hard not having one. 

Thanks so much for your response. 

How did you like the small cabana? My sister and I have one reserved for September.  What/how did you use the cabana and amenities? This will be our first time cruising with NCL. Hope you don’t mind me butting in with the questions😎

27 minutes ago, CSloan said:

How did you like the small cabana? My sister and I have one reserved for September.  What/how did you use the cabana and amenities? This will be our first time cruising with NCL. Hope you don’t mind me butting in with the questions😎

I don’t mind at all! We had a small Cabana about 6 years ago. I loved it and can’t say enough good things about them. Even though they’ve stopped giving the $50 credit for food, it’s still worth it in my book. You have your own loungers, shade, table, fridge, bottle of water, mats. I mean you can’t beat it. 

I will say I haven’t been to great stirrup cay since them so I am not sure what’s changed since then. We had a tram that took us and picked us up but I’m not sure if they still run them or not.

You guys are going to love it so much!!!!!!! Go to YouTube and watch a couple of videos if you haven’t already! 

Thanks for this. Just booked my first trip to GSC and have all the Cabana questions.  We are 4 ladies who are ready to leave our families at home and have some fun.  I'm thinking the splurge will be worth it, I know they are at HMC. I just need to understand the difference between them. 

50 minutes ago, hlb76 said:

Thanks for this. Just booked my first trip to GSC and have all the Cabana questions.  We are 4 ladies who are ready to leave our families at home and have some fun.  I'm thinking the splurge will be worth it, I know they are at HMC. I just need to understand the difference between them. 

The small cabana holds up to 4 and the large up to 6 (I think). The villas hold up to 6. Cabanas are open air, have a ceiling fan, sectional couch, loungers, floats, mini fridge, and are on the public beach. Villas are air conditioned, have a tv, full bathroom, couch, loungers, floats, mini fridge, private beach, and private dining.

8 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

The small cabana holds up to 4 and the large up to 6 (I think). The villas hold up to 6. Cabanas are open air, have a ceiling fan, sectional couch, loungers, floats, mini fridge, and are on the public beach. Villas are air conditioned, have a tv, full bathroom, couch, loungers, floats, mini fridge, private beach, and private dining.

I think the small cabanas hold up to 6 (or 8)? And the large cabanas hold a few more. We had 5 in our small cabana. 

I suppose it depends on the cruise since the price does seem to vary widely, but the large cabana is not that much less than a villa (at least on the cruises we were looking at). 

We were in the middle of the large cabanas in 2017 - the bar / concierge area was right behind us and the batrooms were behind and to the left about 100 yards. It is a little hike, not too bad, to the "main" area of the island with the buffet, etc - but if you are doing the buffet for lunch, bringing back plates of food to your cabana can be a challenge. We were assigned our cabana number based upon when we booked - so that the 1st person booking gets cabana 1, the 2nd cabana 2...and so forth. Am not sure if that has changed. I know we could not choose our villa # - it was assigned. 

That being said - I agree with the posters above - once you go cabana, you cannot go back...that is, unless you go villa. And lord...that villa....I posted a video on YouTube of the villa and spa/ buffet area and there are a ton of great small and large cabana videos as well on youtube to browse.

Have a wonderful time choosing!

Amy