formal nights

delgirl

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you, do you take them as hand luggage or send them on with your suitcases?

We send them on with the rest of our suitcases. I just carry on a very small bag containing valuables, iPad etc.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, majortom10 said:

Sorry but IMO you will be missing out on so much by going to the buffet instead of MDR on formal nights. Certainly worth the effort to dress up and I wore a uniform with tie all my working career as a firefighter and even though now retired look forward to dressing formally as it is the only chance I have these days and makes the cruise so more enjoyable.

Not sure what was different on formal night except we all had our uniform on. Was just the same as any other evening but more uncomfortable. 

41 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

Not sure what was different on formal night except we all had our uniform on. Was just the same as any other evening but more uncomfortable. 

A very relevant point. Whilst I personally prefer all casual cruises, I am quite happy to dress in black tie if there is good reason to do so. A special occasion such as the captains reception, the black and white ball, the gala dinner.... After all, special occasions on shore such as professional dinners are often (usually?) black tie. What I do object to however, is being asked to wear black tie on what is otherwise just a normal evening simply because it has been decreed that there will be a certain number of such evenings during the cruise.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 6:59 AM, peteukmcr said:

I assume you are referencing this one?

19855D5B-E22C-49AA-8E89-1EB75F58F533.jpeg

I also have this red one worn on QM2

B02C28FE-41AF-494B-9541-BB6201D1E059.jpeg

Correct, i would wear those like a shot. On the other hand they would not fit. I can only dream. I have to stick to the boring black.

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

What I do object to however, is being asked to wear black tie on what is otherwise just a normal evening simply because it has been decreed that there will be a certain number of such evenings during the cruise.

Good point. We have a 5 week cruise booked,  so there will be 10 formal nights  - can't see the point of so many,  because after a while the novelty value wears off. Perhaps on cruises of more than 3 weeks, formal nights should be restricted to one per week. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:42 PM, emanley2008 said:

Im pretty sure the other is 80s theme

Was in my 20s during the 80s.  My (now) husband and I had a great time going to discos every night.  I am now 60 but cannot think what is an 80s theme garb.  Leg warmers??  they were more late 70s.  We just got dressed, went to the bar and danced.  

I am struggling because as a P and O newbie, I have a cruise booked for next June and I think that I will be unpopular.  Should I cancel and stick to NCL? but it is an aft balcony and my first ever.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum

7 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Was in my 20s during the 80s.  My (now) husband and I had a great time going to discos every night.  I am now 60 but cannot think what is an 80s theme garb.  Leg warmers??  they were more late 70s.  We just got dressed, went to the bar and danced.  

I am struggling because as a P and O newbie, I have a cruise booked for next June and I think that I will be unpopular.  Should I cancel and stick to NCL? but it is an aft balcony and my first ever.  

I wore leg warmers in the early eighties when I thought I looked like Nick Heywood... 

The jumper round the shoulders was also a fantastic look. 😊

Andy 

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I wore leg warmers in the early eighties when I thought I looked like Nick Heywood... 

The jumper round the shoulders was also a fantastic look. 😊

Andy 

I do have this vague leg warmer recollection.  Thought it was 70's - I think i was probably too drunk to remember anything else.  But what would you wear in an 80s night???   No one is going to recall the hairdos.  Put shoulder pads and leg warmers on?   I will be a party pooper on the 80s night.   

Just now, ollienbertsmum said:

I do have this vague leg warmer recollection.  Thought it was 70's - I think i was probably too drunk to remember anything else.  But what would you wear in an 80s night???   No one is going to recall the hairdos.  Put shoulder pads and leg warmers on?   I will be a party pooper on the 80s night.   

Madonna is the obvious one for girls, or Bananarama. 

Big hair and big shoulder pads would suffice. 

Adam Ant or Freddie Mercury would be my choice, always fancied myself as a 'Dandy Highwayman'

I haven't seen many passengers dress up on these nights, perhaps the odd deely bopper and fluorescent wrist band but not much else. 

Andy

Leg warmers, tukka boots, pantaloons, baggy white shirts with waistcoat, fingerless lace gloves and lace in your hair - all early 80s fashion.  Also Pom, Pom skirts

But no one on any cruise been on has worn real 80s fashion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Leg warmers, tukka boots, pantaloons, baggy white shirts with waistcoat, fingerless lace gloves and lace in your hair - all early 80s fashion.  Also Pom, Pom skirts

But no one on any cruise been on has worn real 80s fashion.

This joke has been cracked before, but I like it... 

80s night on P&O is usually full of Octogenarians on their 'go faster' mobility scooters rather than big hair and 'choose life' t shirts... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

This joke has been cracked before, but I like it... 

80s night on P&O is usually full of Octogenarians on their 'go faster' mobility scooters rather than big hair and 'choose life' t shirts... 😊

Andy 

I remember the 80s music as I sold records for EMI/MFP for 3 years during this time.

We always dress formal or smart casual on a night and never to a theme like white or Caribbean night etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Madonna is the obvious one for girls, or Bananarama. 

Big hair and big shoulder pads would suffice. 

Adam Ant or Freddie Mercury would be my choice, always fancied myself as a 'Dandy Highwayman'

I haven't seen many passengers dress up on these nights, perhaps the odd deely bopper and fluorescent wrist band but not much else. 

Andy

Perhaps I should bring this along. Used for another cruise line’s 80s night

7D2615C8-F9E0-4FFD-9262-7CD6595FAF59.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Crikey I hope you don’t cancel your first ever aft cabin due to not dressing up on 80’s night ! (Unless I’ve got the wrong end of the stick)We are also p&o newbies and probably won’t dress to this theme either although in my opinion the 80’s music is the best so will still have a good dance whatever I’m wearing. Have a great cruise 😊

The only theme night we dress for is the tropical, hubby wears a Hawaiian shirt and I a dress with flowers on. ( apart from the black and white formal night we always wear black and white for)

For the 60s and 70s very few dress for, apart from the entertainment staff and they always seem to go with the flower power, Let’s go to San Francisco theme, which was very late 60s, early 70s. Now I always think of the 60s as mini skirts and Twiggy look. 

Just to (hopefully) put your mind at rest.

Formal is formal, with B&W theme night being a (mostly) monochrome formal.  Don’t worry if you don’t have a black, white or b&w dress-up dress though - you wouldn’t be the only person wearing colours.  

As amajaa says, the only other (non-formal) theme night which receives much traction is Tropical.  It’s easy.  Hawaiian shirt for the men; as much colour as you can muster for the ladies. Grass skirts and coconut-half tops have been seen!!!  Not necessary though

For 60s, 70s, 80s - well, the ents staff seem to enjoy the dress-up but I haven’t seen very many pax who join in.  Also, I think the emphasis for this is at the late night discos?  I don’t go to these, so perhaps someone can confirm?

Please don’t stress over clothes.  You’ll be fine.  Relax and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, amajaa said:

The only theme night we dress for is the tropical, hubby wears a Hawaiian shirt and I a dress with flowers on. ( apart from the black and white formal night we always wear black and white for)

For the 60s and 70s very few dress for, apart from the entertainment staff and they always seem to go with the flower power, Let’s go to San Francisco theme, which was very late 60s, early 70s. Now I always think of the 60s as mini skirts and Twiggy look. 

That is what I mean.  Everyone is flower power or fluorescent for any of the 0s nights, like the world from 1960 -1990 dressed like the Hair Bear Bunch.  My very favourite 60s dress was a red plastic one that stood up on its own, then purple hotpants and tank tops.    In the early 70s maxi skirts and floppy hats,  yellow platforms and up to the waist white trousers Simon Cowell style.  It was awful.  Who wants to dress up for a theme night??? 

Give me the music but don't tell us to relive the wardrobes of our youth (Actually I would wear the red plastic dress) - and if you are going to do it, be a bit accurate.    I am going to have to go back to some old photos and maybe find out that I have a bad memory.