Live from Journey Norway Cruise

Grandma Cruising

59 minutes ago, Rabo said:

We’ve been home for just over a day, and now have had a little time to settle in.  In addition to the staff and crew of the Journey (who are nothing less that extraordinary), we made a number of new friends . . . too many to mention . . . but I do want to thank Denise & Nick, Pam & Eric, and Sue & Darren for helping make a fantastic voyage even more memorable.  We'll be back with Azamara on the Pursuit in March.  Hope to see you all then.

Jerry

Well thank you too Jerry. It was great meeting you and Scheindel and your company and that of Pam,Eric, Sue & Darren certainly made our great cruise even more wonderful.

20 hours ago, bob278 said:

JUst have to share our "good fortune" with flights.  Our post-cruise trip was not a lot better than the pre-cruise.  Our flight from Edinburgh to JFK was wonderful but that's where it ended.  We had a long layover and about 3 hours into it, we were toldf our flight to Charlotte had been cancelled.  Of course, there were no options for Wednesday and because it was "weather related (so Delta claimed), they gave us no help with dinner or hotel.

So we enjoyed another airport hotel overnight.  To top off the entire trip, our bags did not make it to Charlotte.  We are now home (arrived in Charlotte at 1:30 and 2 of our bags are on their way from Atlanta to Charlotte and one is still in the Baggage Services Office at JFK.  We may need drugs before we get on another airplane. 😳

But despite the horrors of transportation (and doing without luggage for the first 4 days of the cruise), it was a wonderful cruise. We met really nice people, saw some beautiful scenery and enjoyed an on-board experience that made us book the 2021 trip with Capt. Johannes (but we'll have to get over the flight fiasco to keep that date).

Not to defend Delta chintzing you, but it really was "weather related."  We had terrible thunderstorms in NYC on Wednesday, and the timing of the forecast kept changing all day.  Our daughter was flying in from LAX, so we were monitoring the forecasts very closely.  Her flight was due in at 10:46 but didn't arrive until after 2 AM.  Under current FAA rules, planes aren't allowed to begin a flight unless it is clear that they will be able to land at the other end.  JetBlue really wanted to get her plane into JFK for the next day's schedule, but in other cases the airline may not have the ability.

We stayed at a hotel about 3 miles from JFK and did hear some thunder but nothing I would consider extreme or for very long, hence my skepticism.  Not to mention that we were supposed to leave at 7:40 and it was after 10:00 when we heard the storm.  If they hadn't pulled the trigger so early, I am convinced we cold have made it.  I do understand that the airlines and FAA are (sometimes overly) cautious but I have caught Delta (and American) in direct lies in the past.

But I will give Delta some relief from my ire.  While we still have one bag that nobody seems to know the location of, I was able to get a little satisfaction in that they will reimburse me for the hotel and give us a goodwill gesture of 20,000 miles to each account.  Of course, they won't do that for everyone.  You have to push a little and my status as a two million-miler helped a great deal.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Some reflections on the cruise:-

Captain Johannes’s knowledge about and passion for Norway made this cruise extra special and we’ll never forget the extra touches like

- stopping the ship twice in the Fjords so the chef could go ashore to buy local goats cheese and then berries

- the oil rig Safari 

- the 360 degree turns alongside the seven sisters waterfall and in Trollfjord

- going under the low bridge with the Captain’s friend waving a Norwegian flag over our heads.

The atmosphere on board was great, and we met some lovely people - for us this was one of our most sociable and enjoyable cruises ever.

Thanks for taking us along on this great itinerary! A very enjoyable, interesting and detailed read.

Norris,

Norway bound but on Celebrity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Thanks for taking us along on this great itinerary! A very enjoyable, interesting and detailed read.

Norris,

Glad you liked it.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

On 7/18/2019 at 6:08 PM, bob278 said:

So we enjoyed another airport hotel overnight.  To top off the entire trip, our bags did not make it to Charlotte.  We are now home (arrived in Charlotte at 1:30 and 2 of our bags are on their way from Atlanta to Charlotte and one is still in the Baggage Services Office at JFK.  We may need drugs before we get on another airplane. 😳

But despite the horrors of transportation (and doing without luggage for the first 4 days of the cruise), it was a wonderful cruise. We met really nice people, saw some beautiful scenery and enjoyed an on-board experience that made us book the 2021 trip with Capt. Johannes (but we'll have to get over the flight fiasco to keep that date).

Good grief! We shared the pier-to-EDI-to JFK leg and had no idea you were heading into trouble again.

Speaking of Capt. Johannes, I took photos at his Q and A

Richard

_MG_6029.jpg

_MG_6116.jpg

Edited by aerobee

On 7/26/2019 at 11:55 AM, Bimmer09 said:

Norris,

Dont forget to pop a link to your review on this board Norris 😁

1 hour ago, QueenP said:

Dont forget to pop a link to your review on this board Norris 😁

I sure will, even though it's not an Azamara sailing but it's Norway and it's a beautiful ship if ever there was one. I am sure I will find something interesting to photograph and have a tale to tell.

The review should set sail by September 10. I am  looking forward to London as a bookend city!

Cheers!

Norris

• Like 1