Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tony_117

Sex offender in restricted ports

Recommended Posts

I'm a registered sex offender because of something that happened over 20 years.  I'm not here to get into that but I am looking at going on a cruise that departs from Florida and goes to the Western Caribbean (It is on a cruise line allows sex offenders to travel).  Some of the ports of call don't allow sex offenders (namely Mexico).  If I try to enter the country will they just make me return to the ship or will they make me cut my trip short and fly home?  And if I don't try to get off the ship, will I be OK on the ship or will they still send be back being I am in Mexican waters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tony_117 said:

I'm a registered sex offender because of something that happened over 20 years.  I'm not here to get into that but I am looking at going on a cruise that departs from Florida and goes to the Western Caribbean (It is on a cruise line allows sex offenders to travel).  Some of the ports of call don't allow sex offenders (namely Mexico).  If I try to enter the country will they just make me return to the ship or will they make me cut my trip short and fly home?  And if I don't try to get off the ship, will I be OK on the ship or will they still send be back being I am in Mexican waters?

Good for you for speaking up.  I hope you get some helpful advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure you will be cruising? Most ships do check that information and will cancel your reservation.

With that being said, while technically you will be entering the country, I doubt they will do more than force you to stay on the ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here again -- someone seeking legal advice on a leisure & travel website. Well, you are going to get LOTS of it! Whether any of it is correct, remains to be seen. 🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Are you sure you will be cruising? Most ships do check that information and will cancel your reservation.

With that being said, while technically you will be entering the country, I doubt they will do more than force you to stay on the ship.

 

Just how do you know that most ships check for sex offenders? Do they also check for passengers who have committed Robbery, Burglary, Grand Theft, etc?🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tony_117 said:

I'm a registered sex offender because of something that happened over 20 years.  I'm not here to get into that but I am looking at going on a cruise that departs from Florida and goes to the Western Caribbean (It is on a cruise line allows sex offenders to travel).  Some of the ports of call don't allow sex offenders (namely Mexico).  If I try to enter the country will they just make me return to the ship or will they make me cut my trip short and fly home?  And if I don't try to get off the ship, will I be OK on the ship or will they still send be back being I am in Mexican waters?

 

If it is correct that the ship/criuseline will allow sex offenders on board AND also correct that Mexico (or other countries visited) would be finding out this information, then I see no reason not to call the cruiseline and ask them!

 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that both Royal and Carnival will check the National Sex Offender Registry.  Disney, Princess, and Norwegian do not have any restrictions at this time.  And most River cruises and cruise lines outside the US don't do checks, but in those cases you have to get into the country to be able to sail anyway.  And as a Sex Offender I have to let the government know 21 days before travelling out of the country and they send a letter to any country I am visiting letting them know I am coming, when and I believe how as well.

 

As far as the cruise lines are concerned though, if they are OK with letting me onboard that is their business for the cruise.  They don't let the foreign country know, that is left up to the government. So, whether another country will let me in or not is their business, not the cruise ships.

 

I'm not really asking for legal advice here, I am just trying to gauge what other people may have observed as far as people in my position.  I can go ask 5 lawyers today and get 5 different answers, what it will come down to is the person who actually intervenes at the boarder.  And if people have seen that they are more laxed or more strict, I'd like that info.  I know that no matter what someone says here, it isn't going to be a hard and fast rule.  I have seen people get Visa's to a country and then get turned away when they arrived by plane.  I just haven't heard much about cruise ships and would like to get an idea of where I stand before I book the cruise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tony_117 said:

I know that both Royal and Carnival will check the National Sex Offender Registry. 

 

Correct.  Not sure if this impacts the OP, but I know for certain that both RCI and CCL will not permit boarding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, tony_117 said:

I know that both Royal and Carnival will check the National Sex Offender Registry.  Disney, Princess, and Norwegian do not have any restrictions at this time.  

Where do you get this info from? Disney is a family oriented cruise line specifically caters to young kids. It is inexcusable it doesn't check national sex offender registry if true.

Edited by sfaaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Where do you get this info from? Disney is a family oriented cruise line specifically caters to young kids. It is inexcusable it doesn't check national sex offender registry if true.

I called them and asked. Actually I called each of the cruise lines I mentioned 3 times to make sure I was getting the same answer.

Edited by tony_117

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best advice to OP is to get a team (yes team) of attorneys involved because the question is really complex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, zqvol said:

best advice to OP is to get a team (yes team) of attorneys involved because the question is really complex.

Well, it may be complicated but I’m thinking the bigger problem will be whether the Mexican authorities will consider the OP as an admissible person; getting an answer to that question will be a crap shoot as it’s likely dependant on the immigration officer making the decision at the time of entry.  Frankly, I cannot believe any cruise line (or air line) would run the risk of taking a passenger onboard that may be the source of a serious headache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

may be

I doubt that legally that's a good enough reason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, clo said:

I doubt that legally that's a good enough reason.  

Sure it is... who cares what a bunch of suits in the US say when an officer in a foreign country is making the decision?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Sure it is... who cares what a bunch of suits in the US say when an officer in a foreign country is making the decision?

I'm saying it may not be a good enough reason for denied boarding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clo said:

I'm saying it may not be a good enough reason for denied boarding.

Possibly.  I doubt we’ll ever find out....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Possibly.  I doubt we’ll ever find out....

I hope he has a nice cruise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tony_117 said:

As far as the cruise lines are concerned though, if they are OK with letting me onboard that is their business for the cruise.  They don't let the foreign country know, that is left up to the government. So, whether another country will let me in or not is their business, not the cruise ships.

Not exactly.  If you attempt to board a cruise and don't have the proper documents/clearance to get off in a port (even if you don't plan on getting off), the cruise line can and will deny you boarding.

 

When you are docked in a port, you are considered "in port", as in "in their waters".  If you don't have the proper paperwork to be in their country, you will not be on the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Not exactly.  If you attempt to board a cruise and don't have the proper documents/clearance to get off in a port (even if you don't plan on getting off), the cruise line can and will deny you boarding.

 

When you are docked in a port, you are considered "in port", as in "in their waters".  If you don't have the proper paperwork to be in their country, you will not be on the ship.

In a situation like this I don't know what "proper paperwork" would consist of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, clo said:

In a situation like this I don't know what "proper paperwork" would consist of.

Me either.  I was just addressing the idea that the ship can't stop you from boarding if the country won't allow you in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Just how do you know that most ships check for sex offenders? Do they also check for passengers who have committed Robbery, Burglary, Grand Theft, etc?🙄

 

Yes. This has been discussed on at least one other thread and I do not intend for this to become the topic of conversation on this thread, so I will only say that I know for certain (not from personal experience but from confirmed industry knowledge) that there are at least two major cruise lines that perform background checks on every confirmed passenger on every itinerary 30 days from sailing.

 

I'm certain this will be challenged on this thread as it was on the other and I will not hijack the thread with further comment other than to say believe what you wish, but it is correct information.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

ship can't stop you

Did you mean to write "can" stop you?  And if he doesn't go ashore then it's moot, isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clo said:

Did you mean to write "can" stop you?  And if he doesn't go ashore then it's moot, isn't it?

No, I meant "can't" in that sentence.  The poster is putting forth that, even if a country won't allow him in the country, as long as the ship will let him cruise, he will be able to board.

 

That's not true.

 

Whether he goes ashore or not, if you don't have the proper documentation to do so, the cruise line can deny you boarding.  As I said, when the ship is docked, you are considered "in the country", even if you don't get off the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

proper documentation

But what is that?  Do you have it?  I don't think I've ever had it, whatever "it" is.  There's a word for this and I can't quite grab it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clo said:

But what is that?  Do you have it?  I don't think I've ever had it, whatever "it" is.  There's a word for this and I can't quite grab it.

Whatever would be necessary for a person to be in the country.  Some countries it's a passport.  Others - just a birth certificate & photo ID suffices.

 

But, if you have a legal conviction that would make you ineligible to enter the country, there's no documentation that will let you in.  And, thus, a cruise line can deny him boarding, even if the cruise line itself would allow him onboard.

 

You must be eligible to actually enter a country to board a cruise that stops at that country.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...