Best Manhattan Marriott?

janmitch

We will be sailing from New York next year and arriving in the city a few days prior for sightseeing.  Since we have many Marriott points to use, we will definitely be staying in one.  I’d love to hear your recommendations for the best choice for us.  We’re in our 60’s, active, and plan to walk/take the subway to many sights.  Local friends told us to stay at the Marquis in Times Square, but now I’m not so sure.  It seems to be pretty bustling all the time.  Any suggestions?  TIA.  

Edited by janmitch

I think you can find a better property especially since you said you like to walk. The Marquis has 1,000s of non guests walking through the hotel. What are some of the other properties you are considering? Financial area another area to consider if you’re planning to visit Statue of Liberty and World Trade Center. 

The Marriott Marquis has a Broadway Stage inside. At the moment Tootsie is playing.

If I wanted to see a show staying there would be easy. Got2Cruise is right. There are 1,00's of

non-guests streaming through there. Mostly to use their free and clean bathrooms. LOL

How many points do you have to spend?  Do you have a favorite Marriott brand?  Are you looking for free breakfast?

Many of the Times Square area hotels may have an additional “resort fee”.  I’m guessing your points might not cover this add on.  Staying in Midtown is fine, but no real need to be right in the middle of Times Square.  Look at the complete list of Marriott Hotels - there are some iconic NYC hotels in the list.

7 minutes ago, George C said:

The Algonquin is a historic hotel that is part of Marriott I believe , never stayed there but love stopping there for a drink , need to read its history , good location, cool cat.

Seconded — great location on 44th between Fifth and Sixth, old, but reasonably priced, great history. About halfway between Fifth Ave./Rockefeller Center and Times Square, near theatres and lots of restaurants, so you are close to action without being mobbed by it.

It is my go-to place to stay in the city when the few rooms at inexpensive residence club are not available.

• Like 1

Thanks, all, for the quick replies.  We have plenty of points to spend and can get breakfast in the Concierge Lounge if there is one.  I looked at The Algonquin and liked it.  We usually like the Autograph hotels.  Keep those suggestions coming.  We really know nothing about New York and are excited to spend some time there.

The Algonquin caught my eye as well.  There have been good reports about it.  OP - do some research on the Marriott site and post back about anything that piques your interest that fits within your points.  I believe there are some fancier Marriott hotels on Central Park South, but the Algonquin is very close to Times Square without being in the middle of the chaos.  It also has good subway access.

I have stayed at both the Algonquin and the Essex House, although it's been a few years for both.

The Algonquin is a lovely, small historic property, completely redone a few years ago but in a most sympathetic way (we actually stayed just before and just after the renovations, so could make a direct comparison). Down a quiet street, so a nice respite from the craziness in and around Times Square. The negative for us was when they renovated they eliminated the twin-bedded rooms, thus forcing MamaTwick and I to share a double bed - not good! If they still had twin-bedded rooms, we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in mid-town Manhattan...

Stayed at the Essex House a couple of years ago pre-QM2 crossing, and really enjoyed the property. It's larger than the Algonquin, with some nice Art Deco styling, and right across from Central Park. A bit further from the action, but we found walking from there quite easy, and you can always hop on the subway for longer journeys. Note that they have a lounge (Algonquin does not), with a good breakfast spread (can't talk about the evening offerings as we were there just after New Years and the lounge was closed in the evenings over the holidays).

I would be very happy to stay at either property again.

Edited by Twickenham

21 hours ago, George C said:

The Algonquin is a historic hotel that is part of Marriott I believe , never stayed there but love stopping there for a drink , need to read its history , good location, cool cat.

Its a much better bar/lobby than hotel. Some of the rooms you can literally change the TV manually with your foot from bed the rooms are so small. Tiny by even NYC standards. 

I was always a Starwood guy but have begrudgingly adapted to Bonvoy. I think the best use of Marriott points you can do in Manhattan is the St Regis. Usually $900-$1100 a night for a standard room so a ton of bang for your buck from a points standpoint. The hotel is world class and they dont treat you like a second hand citizen using points. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

I was always a Starwood guy but have begrudgingly adapted to Bonvoy. I think the best use of Marriott points you can do in Manhattan is the St Regis. Usually $900-$1100 a night for a standard room so a ton of bang for your buck from a points standpoint. The hotel is world class and they dont treat you like a second hand citizen using points. 

Now we’re talking. 🎉😁

The A is nice, historic, small and yes a boutique hotel feel on a relatively quiet side street. Yes old, and all the renovations in the world cannot change that.  Rooms pretty small and baths. The worst thing about this is the location, Just off off Times Sq and the huge crowds. All times of the day and night. I say avoid this hotel at all costs in order to catch the subway, and unless one is going to lots of Broadway shows, where the crowds are unavoidable, if you can book the EH. I stay at the EH about 6 times a year and have been doing so for decades. All the rooms and public areas have been renovated.  Much larger than A. Different size rooms and  exposures. Lovely location facing Central Park on CPS . No crowds as Times SQ pretty far away.   Restaurant OK and nice bar. The Marquis also in the midst of Times Sq. Really unbearable to stay there for one's sanity. The St Regis in location and luxury is great if one can afford it in points or price.

I really appreciate all of your responses!  I’ve been researching on the Marriott site and TripAdvisor.  The Algonquin has gotten some mixed reviews in the past couple of months!  That concerns me a little.  Plus, it seems that if we stay on points, we can only get a queen room, which just won’t work for us.  The Essex House is a possibility, although it takes more points.  St. Regis is out of the running for us—WAY too many points.  Does anyone have any thoughts on any of the Renaissance hotels?  Either Times Square or Midtown?  It seems there is a new REN opening in Chelsea next month, but how is that area for getting to the sites?  We’d probably want to take in a Broadway play while we’re there, as well as do the 9/11 Museum and Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller, etc.  Whew!  My mind is spinning.  But thank you all for your help!

Renaissance Midtown is modern, but nice. It’s our current preferred property, but we’re taking the train to Penn Station and can walk there. Good lounge Sunday night to Friday morning, with breakfast coupons for the weekend. 

I’ve seen mixed messages on weekend breakfast/lounge access at the Algonquin, so not sure. Marquis is one of the properties with no weekend lounge and no weekend breakfast, unless there’s been a recent change. 

9 hours ago, janmitch said:

I really appreciate all of your responses!  I’ve been researching on the Marriott site and TripAdvisor.  The Algonquin has gotten some mixed reviews in the past couple of months!  That concerns me a little.  Plus, it seems that if we stay on points, we can only get a queen room, which just won’t work for us.  The Essex House is a possibility, although it takes more points.  St. Regis is out of the running for us—WAY too many points.  Does anyone have any thoughts on any of the Renaissance hotels?  Either Times Square or Midtown?  It seems there is a new REN opening in Chelsea next month, but how is that area for getting to the sites?  We’d probably want to take in a Broadway play while we’re there, as well as do the 9/11 Museum and Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller, etc.  Whew!  My mind is spinning.  But thank you all for your help!

Purely location wise, the Times Square location is better for walking mid town locations and you can take subway down to 9/11. 

• Like 1

Chelsea would be much closer to 9/11 museum and Statue of Liberty ferry. Should prebuy tickets for museum.  We normally user Uber for getting around city or taxi , I agree alqonqin is best location but rooms sound too small. 

Also worth a look is the new Le Meridien which is the former Viceroy Hotel (the Parker Meridien, which had been part of Starwood, declared independence and they replaced the Le Meridien brand with this hotel). Rooms are large for New York and the location is near Central Park which I think is much better than anywhere directly in Times Square. 

If I didn't want to spend the points for the St Regis or Chatwal, a runner up could also be the new Edition in Times Square which is very nice and sort of an oasis from the bustle below. I've only been for drinks but my colleague who stayed there said it was very nice. Theres also an Edition further downtown but for some reason I believe its more expensive. 

The Ws are also decent alternatives-- the one in Times Square and Union Square are nice (with the Union Square one being the nicer of the two). The W Downtown I have not stayed in but I think you would be better served to stay more in Midtown. 

Janmitch,  I am in same research mode as you.  I am top tier with both Hilton and Marriott.  Lots of points to spend;  so in my research for what we want to do; I have narrowed my selections to Marriott Financial Center and Doubletree Financial District.  We are looking at these two hotels because they are reasonably priced for points; they are close to World Trade Center museum, the ferry to Liberty and Ellis Island;  which we plan to visit all three; and we will be leaving out of Red Hook Brooklyn, so we have option to take uber or the ferry to cruise port.  We may go uptown to see a show; but don't know yet.  Hope this helps.  

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Janmitch,  I am in same research mode as you.  I am top tier with both Hilton and Marriott.  Lots of points to spend;  so in my research for what we want to do; I have narrowed my selections to Marriott Financial Center and Doubletree Financial District.  We are looking at these two hotels because they are reasonably priced for points; they are close to World Trade Center museum, the ferry to Liberty and Ellis Island;  which we plan to visit all three; and we will be leaving out of Red Hook Brooklyn, so we have option to take uber or the ferry to cruise port.  We may go uptown to see a show; but don't know yet.  Hope this helps.  

With your clustered interests, the Doubletree seems best;  and assuming reasonable mobility, the ferry is best for getting to Red Hook - crossing that bit of the upper harbor beats the BB Tunnel, as well as being a bargain.

I actually stayed at the Double Tree Financial District for a staycation. If we’re talking about the one on Stone Street the location is great. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the elevators are horrible. Not enough elevators. That said if you get it for low points or cash in my case then you’ll be happy. It’s more of a nice clean and safe place to sleep. Eat and hang out other places, which is easy to do.