Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ginak1112

Live from the Edge and I love my infinity veranda!

Recommended Posts

The Edge is a real beauty and definitely not your Father’s cruise ship! We are loving the Infinity veranda. We leave it open at all times allowing us to have an expanded cabin giving us much more space. The blind gets closed at night giving us a pretty good blackout room albeit a bit of light coming in from both ends of the window. We have enjoyed a nice nap with the window open and loving the fresh air. What’s great is that you will have use of this space in all types of weather. When it’s boiling hot like it is now in Europe or when it’s too chilly like my daughter and I experienced on a British Isles cruise where we never went out once on our balcony. We loved Fine Cut steakhouse and thought the Rooftop Cafe was okay. It’s nice to get to choose from so many restaurants and enjoy an intimate dining experience. We are exhausted from our day in Capri so have slept in today and are now at the pool. We were lucky to get a shady spot because the pool was built with a very limited amount of that. Will check back later!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We get on the ship on Saturday - looking forward to it - let me know if there is anything to be sure to see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are enjoying the infinity veranda. We loved ours when we were on the Edge last NYE. I would not hesitate to book one again. We like Fine Cut also. May have to book another Edge cruise soon.

 

 

Mary Ann

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Glad you are enjoying the IV - I hadn't thought about the hot weather in Europe being a nice benefit of the IV (only thought about my cold/rainy British Isles cruise 🙂). Are there new, smaller chairs on your IV? @Silkroad mentioned that someone onboard said they were going to replace the bigger chairs with ones that didn't take up as much room (so that opening and closing the bifold doors didn't require so much furniture rearrangement each time).

 

Hope you have a great time! Please pat Mr Edge for me. 🙂

 

If you have time when you return to enter your cabin in the Edge cabin review sticky, that would be most appreciated by future Edge/Apex cruisers (and anyone else reading this is welcome to review their Edge cabins).

 

Here is a link (the directions for posting are in the first post). Thanks!

 

 

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure if the chairs are changed or not but this is the type we have. We haven’t closed the bifold doors as of yet so it hasn’t been an issue. 

FE63A0B4-D7E0-49E1-801A-4A96745C20F2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

I’m not sure if the chairs are changed or not but this is the type we have. We haven’t closed the bifold doors as of yet so it hasn’t been an issue. 

FE63A0B4-D7E0-49E1-801A-4A96745C20F2.jpeg

They look the same. We left ours open most of the time too. I did use the veranda early mornings to post on CC while my DH slept, so closed the doors then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your stateroom not heating up with the sun coming through the window?  Ours did in the Caribbean.  With the window closed it was too hot to sit in the veranda portion on hot days. If we put the window down, the stateroom would steam up.   The only way to cool off was to put the shade down, or close the doors.  Now, on cool days, the veranda was wonderful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren’t they “infinite” verandas?  The Infinity is another ship.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Aren’t they “infinite” verandas?  The Infinity is another ship.  😉

Yes, I was typing fast. I wanted to correct it but I’m not sure how to edit it. And I loved the Infinity ship! Have been on it twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

Is your stateroom not heating up with the sun coming through the window?  Ours did in the Caribbean.  With the window closed it was too hot to sit in the veranda portion on hot days. If we put the window down, the stateroom would steam up.   The only way to cool off was to put the shade down, or close the doors.  Now, on cool days, the veranda was wonderful!

We have the A/C down pretty cool so that hasn’t been a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

We have the A/C down pretty cool so that hasn’t been a problem. 

 

Your AC should shut off when you open the infinite verandah. Ours, did, anyway. Lots of complaints from guests in front of us at Guest Services throughout the cruise from guests who did not enjoy the AC shutting off whenever their cabin partner opened the window. 😂 We sailed the Caribbean in February on EDGE, so it wasn't too terribly hot or muggy yet. 

I liked our Infinite Verandah cabin. However, to me, its basically a sunroom. A balcony cabin it is not! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gather from your post that you have been able to control the window all the time on your trip. It seems the Infinite Balcony is more suited to cruising in areas where the weather is consistently warm 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We enjoyed our IV back in April, as it was not too warm yet.  We like to keep our cabin cool (or as cool as we can get it), so we would not book one in the future unless we expected temps that would allow us to open the window knowing the A/C would shut off.

 

The greatest benefit of the IV we found was that we never heard our neighbor as you will on a regular balcony.  Nothing better than trying enjoy your balcony and having to listen to your neighbor carrying on a loud telephone conversation.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ginak1112 said:

The Edge is a real beauty and definitely not your Father’s cruise ship! We are loving the Infinity veranda. We leave it open at all times allowing us to have an expanded cabin giving us much more space. The blind gets closed at night giving us a pretty good blackout room albeit a bit of light coming in from both ends of the window. We have enjoyed a nice nap with the window open and loving the fresh air. What’s great is that you will have use of this space in all types of weather. When it’s boiling hot like it is now in Europe or when it’s too chilly like my daughter and I experienced on a British Isles cruise where we never went out once on our balcony. We loved Fine Cut steakhouse and thought the Rooftop Cafe was okay. It’s nice to get to choose from so many restaurants and enjoy an intimate dining experience. We are exhausted from our day in Capri so have slept in today and are now at the pool. We were lucky to get a shady spot because the pool was built with a very limited amount of that. Will check back later!!

Glad you enjoyed Edge and your cabin.  Refreshing to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, megfla said:

The greatest benefit of the IV we found was that we never heard our neighbor as you will on a regular balcony.  Nothing better than trying enjoy your balcony and having to listen to your neighbor carrying on a loud telephone conversation.....

 So true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, megfla said:

We enjoyed our IV back in April, as it was not too warm yet.  We like to keep our cabin cool (or as cool as we can get it), so we would not book one in the future unless we expected temps that would allow us to open the window knowing the A/C would shut off.

 

The greatest benefit of the IV we found was that we never heard our neighbor as you will on a regular balcony.  Nothing better than trying enjoy your balcony and having to listen to your neighbor carrying on a loud telephone conversation.....

Yes, it’s very private! And you don’t have to worry about anyone looking in your balcony which has happened to me in the past! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

Yes, it’s very private! And you don’t have to worry about anyone looking in your balcony which has happened to me in the past! 

👀....😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's the entertainment onboard? Is the live music good? How do you like the MDRs or are you in AQ? Have you seen any of the show in Eden? If you have time, I would love to see a picture of one of the dailies. Sorry for all the questions! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

How's the entertainment onboard? Is the live music good? How do you like the MDRs or are you in AQ? Have you seen any of the show in Eden? If you have time, I would love to see a picture of one of the dailies. Sorry for all the questions! 🙂

We enjoyed the two comedians that performed during our week in April and found the music around the ship very enjoyable.

 

Not a huge fan on the 4 MDR concept...we had 50/50 good vs. bad experiences.  We had a table for 2 each night and some tables were quite cramped, causing the servers to squeeze in between them to server people at the next table.  Best to get a table by a window to avoid that issue.  The selection of items that were specific to each restaurant were not great, and they do not change during the week.  I will say that the head waiters went above and beyond to address any issues very quickly.

 

We did not catch the Eden show, nor did be keep the dailies.  

 

We would certainly book another Edge sailing with the right itinerary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, megfla said:

We enjoyed the two comedians that performed during our week in April and found the music around the ship very enjoyable.

 

Not a huge fan on the 4 MDR concept...we had 50/50 good vs. bad experiences.  We had a table for 2 each night and some tables were quite cramped, causing the servers to squeeze in between them to server people at the next table.  Best to get a table by a window to avoid that issue.  The selection of items that were specific to each restaurant were not great, and they do not change during the week.  I will say that the head waiters went above and beyond to address any issues very quickly.

 

We did not catch the Eden show, nor did be keep the dailies.  

 

We would certainly book another Edge sailing with the right itinerary.

 

Thanks for answering questions! I hope we will have a better experience with the MDRs - will try requesting a window table. I did get to taste some of the specials for each restaurant during pre-cruises and enjoyed most things, so hope we will find things we like. Glad to hear the music continues to be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you please comment on the IV chairs?  Are they comfortable?  Any issues with them?  Thank you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the same EDGE  balcony chairs in January.. They were like  padded bridge chairs for a low  card table, but with a slightly bad angle and low back..  They are not adjustable , do not recline and do not have footrests..either sep or attached   They are very heavy and clumsy to move around....thus we kept them facing inward and left the IV doors in the open position. Okay to sit on  for awhile but not great for true relaxing !

 

 Hope they are replaced with a lighter style chair that can recline or have a better angle and with small  sep  footrests. We have a few on our patio at home...Looks like they might fit  but  the Veranda space  in the IVs on EDGE is tight. The  previous style balc chairs were just fine...much more versatile and comfortable.

 

  We enjoyed the IV  for what it was....too hot out to need  the window open....but the space was clearly too small.  If they got rid of the bigger beds,  they might be able to increase the Veranda space..but not expecting that on EDGE or APEX.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, megfla said:

We enjoyed the two comedians that performed during our week in April and found the music around the ship very enjoyable.

 

Not a huge fan on the 4 MDR concept...we had 50/50 good vs. bad experiences.  We had a table for 2 each night and some tables were quite cramped, causing the servers to squeeze in between them to server people at the next table.  Best to get a table by a window to avoid that issue.  The selection of items that were specific to each restaurant were not great, and they do not change during the week.  I will say that the head waiters went above and beyond to address any issues very quickly.

 

We did not catch the Eden show, nor did be keep the dailies.  

 

We would certainly book another Edge sailing with the right itinerary.

 

We will have the 4 mdr plan on our next EDGE cruise. Two nights in each. Which of the 4 did you prefer?  Are they all the same size?    We have early res and hope they honor them.  Do those with res have a sep line for check in?

 

On our Jan cruise, we were in Cosmopolitan twice for lunch. It was very full but we had excellent fod and service in a quiet back corner. We also  experienced the Elite breakfast in Tuscan..it too was excellent and we loved the decor and art, .Hope we do better than a 50% good rating!

 

Did you try any  other venues for lunch?  We plan to ...esp the brunch if offered.  Any other dining tips will be appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need to ask to be part of the 4 MDR plan or is that automatic ?  We would like to explore each but worry we’ll be put in the same one each night 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Do you need to ask to be part of the 4 MDR plan or is that automatic ?  We would like to explore each but worry we’ll be put in the same one each night 

Do you have Traditional early or late dining (fixed time)? If so, you will be assigned one restaurant and can ask about trying others, if there is availability. If you have Select Dining, you can pre-book any of the restaurants (can try all 4 during the cruise, if you wish) at whatever time you wish or just show up.

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...