Jump to content

Live from the Edge and I love my infinity veranda!


Recommended Posts

On 7/1/2019 at 7:06 AM, ginak1112 said:

The Edge is a real beauty and definitely not your Father’s cruise ship! We are loving the Infinity veranda. We leave it open at all times allowing us to have an expanded cabin giving us much more space. The blind gets closed at night giving us a pretty good blackout room albeit a bit of light coming in from both ends of the window. We have enjoyed a nice nap with the window open and loving the fresh air. 

 

I'm glad it worked for you and you enjoyed your trip.  Based on many other reviews I suspect that you will have a good selection of IV rooms to select for your next trip

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hcat said:

We will have the 4 mdr plan on our next EDGE cruise. Two nights in each. Which of the 4 did you prefer?  Are they all the same size?    We have early res and hope they honor them.  Do those with res have a sep line for check in?

 

On our Jan cruise, we were in Cosmopolitan twice for lunch. It was very full but we had excellent fod and service in a quiet back corner. We also  experienced the Elite breakfast in Tuscan..it too was excellent and we loved the decor and art, .Hope we do better than a 50% good rating!

 

Did you try any  other venues for lunch?  We plan to ...esp the brunch if offered.  Any other dining tips will be appreciated

Cosmopolitan was our favorite with Normandie  coming in second.  Cyprus was our least favorite by far.

 

They do have separate lines for those with reservations and those without.  We had reservations each evening at 7pm and I cannot recall there ever being anyone in line.  During our dining time, we noted many empty tables.  So I don't know if they have the capacity (which would make me wonder why we felt cramped at times) or if more and more people were opting for the Oceanview Cafe for dinner.

 

We did have dinner one evening at the Rooftop Grill and enjoyed that very much.  Very pleasant eating under the stars.

 

We did not do any specialties for lunch.  We found the Oceanview Cafe was very good for breakfast and lunch.

 

Hope you can beat the 50/50 as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 9:47 AM, ginak1112 said:

We have the A/C down pretty cool so that hasn’t been a problem. 

How did you manage this?  Everyone else has reported that the A/C automatically shuts off when the IV is open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mnocket said:

How did you manage this?  Everyone else has reported that the A/C automatically shuts off when the IV is open.

I don’t think everyone reported this.  It is possible to override green mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Do you need to ask to be part of the 4 MDR plan or is that automatic ?  We would like to explore each but worry we’ll be put in the same one each night 

We  chose Select Dining and pre booked our dining times..2 nights each mdr..for a 9 night cruise( 1 of our shore excursions  includes dinner off the ship)

 

We booked these res as soon as we could...we dine early, prefer a set schedule and did not want to wait for seating...it's a bit drawn out doing these res individually on the Cruise Planner, but we went through it one by one and have our confirmations printed out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, megfla said:

Cosmopolitan was our favorite with Normandie  coming in second.  Cyprus was our least favorite by far.

 

They do have separate lines for those with reservations and those without.  We had reservations each evening at 7pm and I cannot recall there ever being anyone in line.  During our dining time, we noted many empty tables.  So I don't know if they have the capacity (which would make me wonder why we felt cramped at times) or if more and more people were opting for the Oceanview Cafe for dinner.

 

We did have dinner one evening at the Rooftop Grill and enjoyed that very much.  Very pleasant eating under the stars.

 

We did not do any specialties for lunch.  We found the Oceanview Cafe was very good for breakfast and lunch.

 

Hope you can beat the 50/50 as well!

 

Thank you so much for your reply and the details..we are looking forward to trying this out...we were in BLU on EDGE in Jan,  & have been in BLU  since it opened,,so this is really new for us! We'll be sure to report back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Do you need to ask to be part of the 4 MDR plan or is that automatic ?  We would like to explore each but worry we’ll be put in the same one each night 

We just booked an Edge cruise through a travel agent and requested Select Dining. Our cruise is in early February. Then we went online and made the reservations for each dining room. Didn’t realize until reading hcat’s response, but I need to print these out.

 I know I’m being overly cautious, but trying the 4 DRs is one of the reasons we booked. We will do specialty the other 3 nights, or eat ashore, there is one late departure on our cruise

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, vtcruising said:

How's the entertainment onboard? Is the live music good? How do you like the MDRs or are you in AQ? Have you seen any of the show in Eden? If you have time, I would love to see a picture of one of the dailies. Sorry for all the questions! 🙂

The live music is great! There is a couple who is wonderful and performed Lennon/McCartney tunes one night and Carol King/James Taylor another. There was a great entertainer tonight who did a Whitney Houston show. She had an incredible voice. We have only eaten one night in the mdr, the Greek restaurant and it was good. We will go to Eden for dinner on Thursday but haven’t seen the show yet. We have gone to hear music there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mnocket said:

How did you manage this?  Everyone else has reported that the A/C automatically shuts off when the IV is open.

I’m not sure if the A/C shut off or not. We have only opened it while sailing and taking a nap so the breeze may have been enough. I will try to report back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 1:19 PM, pl281 said:

We get on the ship on Saturday - looking forward to it - let me know if there is anything to be sure to see

We really enjoyed dinner on the edge in the magic carpet tonight! Book it right when you get on the ship as it’s offered only on 2 nights and it sold out on ours. It was a beautiful calm evening!

3B36039A-6EAD-4AA8-96BE-0F8BEDC9F7EC.jpeg

6EC40978-BC71-44DF-BDB5-B80E708B7AA4.jpeg

Edited by ginak1112
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 6:06 AM, ginak1112 said:

The Edge is a real beauty and definitely not your Father’s cruise ship! We are loving the Infinity veranda. We leave it open at all times allowing us to have an expanded cabin giving us much more space.

 

If I did that, I would be concerned about insects or even birds flying into the cabin

(-- just thinking mosquitoes). 

 

It would be helpful to have a screen on the window, except that it would get in the way when taking photos.  But I suppose they could use some type of sliding or folding screen that can be opened/closed.

                

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, varoo said:

 

If I did that, I would be concerned about insects or even birds flying into the cabin

(-- just thinking mosquitoes). 

 

It would be helpful to have a screen on the window, except that it would get in the way when taking photos.  But I suppose they could use some type of sliding or folding screen that can be opened/closed.

                

We are not leaving the window open all the time but the balcony is open. We haven’t used the glass screen yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

We really enjoyed dinner on the edge in the magic carpet tonight! Book it right when you get on the ship as it’s offered only on 2 nights and it sold out on ours. It was a beautiful calm evening!

So glad that you were able to do DOTE and had a good night! Looks like you got to see the sunset (we did when we ate on the MC - gorgeous!). How much are they charging now? The menu looks great! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ginak1112 said:

The live music is great! There is a couple who is wonderful and performed Lennon/McCartney tunes one night and Carol King/James Taylor another. There was a great entertainer tonight who did a Whitney Houston show. She had an incredible voice. We have only eaten one night in the mdr, the Greek restaurant and it was good. We will go to Eden for dinner on Thursday but haven’t seen the show yet. We have gone to hear music there. 

Sounds great! Was the person doing the Whitney show Ashley Amber, by any chance? Can't wait to hear about the Eden dinner. Don't forget to lift your orb so that the lovely Edenists will come and chat. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oville said:

I don’t think everyone reported this.  It is possible to override green mode.

I believe you are correct, I read this several times...

 

Maybe the poster has not read all of the posts concerning this.

 

bon voyage

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

We really enjoyed dinner on the edge in the magic carpet tonight!


Were you sailing when they offered this? (The photo looks like you are). When we sailed EDGE they only offered dinner on the Magic Carpet while in port and it had to be a late departure at that. For our itinerary it was San Juan. They didn't offer dinner while sailing as they said too many things would blow around/off tables, etc. Maybe now they have a system down to avoid this and do offer it while sailing? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

We just booked an Edge cruise through a travel agent and requested Select Dining. Our cruise is in early February. Then we went online and made the reservations for each dining room. Didn’t realize until reading hcat’s response, but I need to print these out.

 I know I’m being overly cautious, but trying the 4 DRs is one of the reasons we booked. We will do specialty the other 3 nights, or eat ashore, there is one late departure on our cruise

Glad you made your res...as Marilyn..(.Vt cruiser ) our EDGE expert, has explained,  all the mdrs have the same rotating menu,  and also have a few unique signature dishes for  that restaurant.  The X website has the menus and Vt may post her dining thread link if you  want to see them,

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ginak1112 said:

The live music is great! There is a couple who is wonderful and performed Lennon/McCartney tunes one night and Carol King/James Taylor another. There was a great entertainer tonight who did a Whitney Houston show. She had an incredible voice. We have only eaten one night in the mdr, the Greek restaurant and it was good. We will go to Eden for dinner on Thursday but haven’t seen the show yet. We have gone to hear music there. 

Hope these  acts are on board when we sail  the Whitney Houston performerm Asley Amber had rotated off the week we were on EDGE...sorry we missed her!

We avoided the Eden shiw but may  peek in next time around..heard it  has been shortened, and the incense is gone ?????

Menu for Dinner on the EDGE looks awesome...seems there are more choices (dh allergic to lobster and could select meat)

Edited by hcat
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mnocket said:

How did you manage this?  Everyone else has reported that the A/C automatically shuts off when the IV is open.

It is strange that some had an issue and others didn't. We didn't have an issue but my DH turned off the Go Green that Oville mentioned because the cabin temp would go up to 72 degrees automatically every time we left our cabin and it was too warm when we returned (LLP explained that it was an energy saving feature - we were bad and disabled it). That could be why we didn't have an issue. Others have said that helped, but wasn't a complete fix. It may have to do with ship position in relation to sun and/or cabin location (we were on 12 under an overhang)?

 

We seem to be hearing less complaints in the last few months than at the beginning so maybe the cabin attendants are turning the Go Green off to have less complaints. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hcat said:

Menu for Dinner on the EDGE looks awesome...seems there are more choices (dh allergic to lobster and could select meat)

A good group activity for Nov 2020?  I wonder if it will be called Dinner on the Apex when on the Apex?? 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hcat said:

We had the same EDGE  balcony chairs in January.. They were like  padded bridge chairs for a low  card table, but with a slightly bad angle and low back..  They are not adjustable , do not recline and do not have footrests..either sep or attached   They are very heavy and clumsy to move around....thus we kept them facing inward and left the IV doors in the open position. Okay to sit on  for awhile but not great for true relaxing !

 

 Hope they are replaced with a lighter style chair that can recline or have a better angle and with small  sep  footrests. We have a few on our patio at home...Looks like they might fit  but  the Veranda space  in the IVs on EDGE is tight. The  previous style balc chairs were just fine...much more versatile and comfortable.

 

  We enjoyed the IV  for what it was....too hot out to need  the window open....but the space was clearly too small.  If they got rid of the bigger beds,  they might be able to increase the Veranda space..but not expecting that on EDGE or APEX.

 

 

Thank you for the information. I was hoping that they would be more comfortable than they look.  Truly a perplexing choice by the designer.  I guess they fit the space and that was the priority--not comfort.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Thank you for the information. I was hoping that they would be more comfortable than they look.  Truly a perplexing choice by the designer.  I guess they fit the space and that was the priority--not comfort.

We didn't really find them uncomfortable, but comparing them to other X veranda chairs, missed the reclining chairs and footstools, in which we were very comfortable. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad you made your res...as Marilyn..(.Vt cruiser ) our EDGE expert, has explained,  all the mdrs have the same rotating menu,  and also have a few unique signature dishes for  that restaurant.  The X website has the menus and Vt may post her dining thread link if you  want to see them,

 

The 14 menus for the MDRs is in this thread, along with all Edge restaurants:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...