Cruise Critic Community
TayanaLorna

Tipping on excursions in South America

Is tipping customary in Chile, Argentina and the Falkland Islands?  Looking for tipping info specific to shore excursions and perhaps restaurants in each country.  Please no opinions based on what is customary in the country where you live.  I believe in following the customs or expectations in the country to which I travel.  Thank you.

10% is the norm in restaurants  in most of S. America but check it has not already been added to the bill. Shore excursions?   We were recently in Brazil and went on a number of excursions . We were the only foreigners and none of the Brazilians gave a tip and none of the guides or drivers seemed to expect one.

We took a week bus trip with local Uruguayans to Iguazu Falls and at the end of the week, the other passengers collected a tip for the driver and guide. I thought $5.00 per day for the two of us for the guide and half that for the driver was appropriate but they said No, no ,no. and gave most of it back saying it was way too much. 

I still would give $5.00 US for a full day and $2.00-3.00 US  for the driver if that is a different person and $2.00 - $3.00 for  a half day guide is plenty for a couple, especially if you are with several other people.  Wages down  here are often less than $5.00 US an hour. Most guides and drivers are being paid a reasonable wage - the governments down here have set minimum wages for jobs which must be adhered to.