Share Your Memories From ms Prinsendam

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Unknown Roy; my pics were taken in 2006 and that was the location then. The one below when she was Royal Viking Sun was located on Verandah Deck at the forward stairwell 

Prinsendam54, Day 10 Model of Royal Viking Sun (now Prinsendam) at  forward stairwell on Verandah Deck.JPG

I wouldn't be surprised if the Prinsendam I model was moved when the cabins were added to deck 8 aft.  I remember thinking about those open lifeboats and thinking about how she ended her life.

Roy

Roy

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Prinsendam I model was moved when the cabins were added to deck 8 aft.  I remember thinking about those open lifeboats and thinking about how she ended her life.

Roy

Roy

That would definitely not have been a day at the beach! The USCG, USAF and Canadian Forces did  bang up job during that rescue! 

HAL PRDM I rescue October 1980 by CH-113 Labrador CAF 442 Sqn, CFB Comox, BC #2.jpg

HAL PRDM I rescue October 1980 by CH-113 Labrador CAF 442 Sqn, CFB Comox, BC.jpg

HAL Prinsendam I #6.jpg

An awesome day in South Georgia.  The picture is fudged a bit to bring both segments into focus but I actually stood by the grave of Shackleton's right hand man with the Elegant Explorer immediately above it:

cemetary2.jpg

Roy

Another of my memories is from 2015.  We circled Ireland and went 20 miles up the ShannonRiver to the little town of Foynes.  The currents were tricky there and we had a tour that was a bit late returning.  The pilot was adamant that we needed to leave immediately before the tide changed and made the currents even trickier.  We left the returning tour standing at the pier (accompanied by the shorex manager) and sailed down the river about 2 miles where Captain Tim sent a tender back to pick up the people.

homecoming.jpg

Roy

A Christmas/New Years's Caribbean cruise with a dear traveling companion and friend, now passed, in a Signature Suite is my fond memory.

New Year's Eve, the ship was in the Atlantic Time Zone at Midnight.  A delicious dinner preceded the night's events.  We were seated with two other couples who were great dining companions.  The festive head wear provided were worn and the horns used then and later.   The usual festivities before Midnight and in the Showroom at Sea were held and were of very high quality.  Captain Dag participated, great music in the Ocean Bar as well in the Showroom, energy level was very high!  After "our" welcoming of the New Year, with a balloon drop of course,  the party literally went aft to the Ocean Bar.  A big screen TV had been erected in the Ocean Bar and tuned to the festivities in Times Square.  More live music prior to EST Midnight, dancing, and off duty crew members appeared in their dress finery and enjoyed the line dancing and other festivities as we awaited watching the "Ball To Drop" at Times Square.

It was a memorable night and cruise experience.  And, I didn't get to bed that "new" Year until at least 2:00 A. M.  Atlantic Standard Time.  (My journal does not record when I arose on January 1 of that year, but I am certain that I missed the Early Risers Breakfast in the Lido!)

My first cruise was on the Prinsendam in 2007 with Captain Turner.  It was amazing and got my family hooked on cruising.  Last year we said our farewell tomher on her last voyage through the Kiel canal.  The link below was filmed by someone on shore as she sails through the canal for the last time as the Prinsendam.

We just finished the month long last cruise on the Elegant Explorer. We will really miss her, 3/4 of our HA cruises have been on the Prinsendam.  Our favorite? The Kiel Canal. We also loved visiting Melila, a cruise ship was so rare there, local reporters were interviewing passengers.  We had been worried that staffing and conditions would be bad, but they weren't. Service was tremendous like usual. And so many of the crew were taking this final cruise with their spouses.

Both Photos from the Polar Ice Cap in 2007.   First if the crew gathering to celebrate the 100th Prinsendam voyage and they were freezing!!!

And the next is of Captain Turner navigating the Princendam into the Polar Ice Cap.    One of our best cruises.

IMG_1635.thumb.JPG.2e70d00408fe7ce419b2d827d2f8a43e.JPGPICT0067.thumb.JPG.11a68389819b36700f817fe7645849c3.JPG

Here are some more pictures from 2011 and 2012.

Linda R.

Armacao dos Buzios, Brazil

pdamarmacaodebuzios.jpg

Bocas del Toro, Panama

pdambocasdeltoro.jpg

Castro, Isla Chiloe, Chile

PdamCastroIslaChiloe.jpg

Puerto Chacobuco, Chile

pdamchacobuco.jpg

Screen shot from Port Everglades webcam

pdamfll_jan2012.jpg

Edited by cruzingnut

Our last cruise on the P was in 2018, a TA followed by England, Ireland an Belgium.  It was on that cruise that word was spreading that the EE had been sold.  The Captain opened the bridge up for the passengers to visit - here are my memories.

79704A9E-527B-4ED2-BD81-56F4FF978A27.jpeg

We were lucky to do three voyages on her, all trans Atlantic's. We did the Ft Lauderdale to Cape Town segment, the Capt. was Chris Turner,  the CD was Thomas Faulkner,  we did a couple of cruises with him. I was one of a few passengers who got to do the crossing the line ceremony  at the Prime Meridian and can now proudly call myself a "Royal Diamond Shellback"

Africa Trip 006.jpg

Africa Trip 037.jpg

Africa Trip 142.jpg

Africa Trip 209.jpg

Africa Trip 576.jpg

Our second Elegant Explorer voyage was the 2010 Top Of The World with Captain Albert, who attended our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet.  Our ms Prinsendam is shown here in Rosyth, Scrabster, Runavik, Isafjordur, Akureri, Longyearbyen, and Ny Alesund.

Barbara

2010 TOTW 1 (405).jpg

2010 TOTW 1 (464).jpg

2010 TOTW 1 (552).jpg

2010 TOTW 1 (827).jpg

2010 TOTW 1 (1055) adj ms.Prinsendam Scrabster,Scotland.jpg

2010 TOTW 2 (244) Runavik.jpg

2010 TOTW 2 (775).jpg

2010 TOTW 3 (107) adj.jpg

2010 TOTW 3 (319) adj4 KingNeptune&Queen.jpg

2010 TOTW 3 (481) adj.jpg

2010 TOTW 3 (813).jpg

2010 TOTW 4 (70) adj Ny-Alesund,Norway.jpg

2010 TOTW 4 (76) adj.jpg

Edited by bcummin
15 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Our second Elegant Explorer voyage was the 2010 Top Of The World with Captain Albert, who attended our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet.  Our ms Prinsendam is shown here in Rosyth, Scrabster, Runavik, Isafjordur, Akureri, Longyearbyen, and Ny Alesund.

Barbara

2010 TOTW 1 (405).jpg

15 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Nice pic of former Belgian HAL HD Firmin van Walle; retired since 2013

25 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nice pic of former Belgian HAL HD Firmin van Walle; retired since 2013

I remember him well.  He was in charge of a Wine Tasting activity on one of my cruises (not my Prinsendam one).  He knew "his stuff" and was the most informative and entertaining of any crew member on any ship that was in charge of this type of activity.