Cruise Critic Community
Primus

Rotterdam on-demand movies?

Does the Rotterdam have on-demand movies available on the stateroom televisions or are DVD players still used?

The last I heard from a Future Cruise Consultant onboard the Eurodam in March, the Rotterdam will have the larger flat screen TV's in the Vista suits and up, but they will still have the regular channels that the smaller ships have.   They will still have the DVD players and the book of titles available at the front desk.   The Lanai cabins, Ocean View and inside cabins will still have the smaller flat screen TV's at the small desk with a DVD player under it.   The FCC told me that the on-demand, interactive service requires an ethernet cable to be run to each cabin which and that was "too much work for the smaller ships while in drydock".   That answer makes no sense, because they did it during  drydock on all of the Vista class ships and they are larger and have more cabins.

Thanks for the information.  I much prefer the on-demand movies so was hoping the smaller ships were updated.  

I also prefer the on demand movies.  If you start watching a movie and stop it mid-stream for dinner, you can resume  where you left off. 

The biggest problem I have experienced with the DVD lending library is that there is little or no enforcement of the return dates by the front desk.   You have a limited amount of time to watch the DVD and return it.  Many people ignore that time limit and return a load of DVD's at the end of the cruise, or they simply let the cabin steward return them after the guest has vacated the cabin on disembarkation day.   That is not fair to other passengers.   Many times, I make a list of titles from the movie book that I would like, and call the front desk.  After a long time, digging through a file cabinet of DVD's, they come back on the phone and apologize that none of my selections are available.  They were supposed to be returned, but the guests have not done so.   A good backup is to bring your own supply of DVD's and enjoy the encores.