Jump to content

Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?


Recommended Posts

I’m not saying I have any deep knowledge of the law on this in any country, but my experience is that when you’re at a store and they have priced something incorrectly, they will give you the price as marked (the “wrong one”) and when there is an airline price snafu and seats are priced too low, the airline honors that (wrong) price.  I can think of very few cases where the company made the buyers “pay” for their mistake (again in my experience). 

 

That could be because in those situations US law required this, I do not know, but beyond the legal issue is just the general requirement that they treat customers fairly. So while they may legally be able to overturn this IF it is an error, it would not be fair to their customers that they do so. Their mistake, their loss. Everyone makes mistakes, but then everyone also has to pay for their own mistakes. 

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Heard they now need to implement a $5 towel rental fee PER towel for customer convinience!😜

 

To enhance our cruising experience.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I go to the casino and gamble.  Sometimes, I break even.  I can put a quarter in a slot machine and get a $10 payout.  So the drink package glitch of 2019 is a gamble.  I put in $18 for a day of drinking.  I might win, and get the $55 a day package for $18.  Or I might loose and they credit back the $18.  So of course I dream of them keeping that price for those that got it.......but I will not cry over it, if they send me an "I'm sorry" letter.  I know it's most likely a mistake.  I booked it knowing it's a mistake.  It's nothing more than a gamble for me.  I have nothing to loose, and only free booze to gain.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I’m not saying I have any deep knowledge of the law on this, but I know when you’re at a store and they have price something incorrectly, they will give you the price as marked (the “wrong one”) and when there is an airline prices snafu and seats are priced too low, the airline honors that (wrong) price.  I can think of very few cases where the company made the buyers “pay” for their mistake. That could be because in those situations US laws  require this, I do not know, but beyond the legal issue is just the requirement that they treat customers fairly. So while they may legally be able to overturn this IF it is based, it would not be fair to its customers. Their mistake, their loss. Everyone makes mistakes, but then everyone also has to pay for their own mistakes. 

Not the same thing. You agreed to a contract stipulation at time of booking. You don’t do that when you buy a bottle of Peanut Butter in a store that was priced wrong. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a gray area. As I said if this were $0.18 this would be a different conversation. $18  is a REALLY low price but it’s not cartoonishly low...its at least conceivable as a flash sale. Certainly they can reverse the price..whether that’s the right thing to do or not I’m not sure. I can see the arguments both ways. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not the same thing. You agreed to a contract stipulation at time if booking. You don’t do that when you buy a bottle of Peanut Butter in a store that was priced wrong. 

 

i tried to be clear to say I wasn’t referring to what is legal, I was referring to what is fair. The airlines usually do what is fair in such cases even though they have the same kind of contract at purchase. I don’t think them changing this, given their profits, would be fair. My opinion.

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I go to the casino and gamble.  Sometimes, I break even.  I can put a quarter in a slot machine and get a $10 payout.  So the drink package glitch of 2019 is a gamble.  I put in $18 for a day of drinking.  I might win, and get the $55 a day package for $18.  Or I might loose and they credit back the $18.  So of course I dream of them keeping that price for those that got it.......but I will not cry over it, if they send me an "I'm sorry" letter.  I know it's most likely a mistake.  I booked it knowing it's a mistake.  It's nothing more than a gamble for me.  I have nothing to loose, and only free booze to gain.

Another reasonable person.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was first notified of this pricing by a friend we are cruising with in 2020 I literally told her it had to be BS.  But when I looked on the website and saw it and read social media posts saying people had called in a spoken to a live person and booked this rate then I thought it must be real.  Really ridiculous, but real, so I purchased for our 2020 cruise. Then I went to Twitter and Facebook and messaged Royal directly (privately) and at least one of those conversations has been shared here in this thread by another poster.  They flat out said they would honor the price it was purchased at.  Later on however I received a message saying "after further review" they had decided not to honor these packages and they would all be canceled.  That right there folks is what ticks me off.  If they had said in the beginning, when I first asked, that it was a glitch and they would be repriced then I would have said, "Dang, I knew it!" and sucked it up but telling me (and many others on social media) that they were going to honor the pricing and then deleting those posts and taking back their word?  That is not good PR any way you slice it.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has ANYONE had the $18 package cancelled yet? Mine is still good.

 

I also had a back/forth for the first 15 mins on whether I should purchase or not. My wife drinks very little alcohol and we have plenty of wine in the cabin with the bottles brought on and all the bottles Royal sends to the cabin.

 

But with the bottle waters, coffees, non alcohol frozen drinks for the wife, soda, Bloody Mary's in the mornings, and my night caps after the diamond happy hours, I felt it was definitely worth it on the TransAtlantic.

 

Did not purchase for our Holyland cruise as the lack of sea days tilted the value to a negative for us.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

When I was first notified of this pricing by a friend we are cruising with in 2020 I literally told her it had to be BS.  But when I looked on the website and saw it and read social media posts saying people had called in a spoken to a live person and booked this rate then I thought it must be real.  Really ridiculous, but real, so I purchased for our 2020 cruise. Then I went to Twitter and Facebook and messaged Royal directly (privately) and at least one of those conversations has been shared here in this thread by another poster.  They flat out said they would honor the price it was purchased at.  Later on however I received a message saying "after further review" they had decided not to honor these packages and they would all be canceled.  That right there folks is what ticks me off.  If they had said in the beginning, when I first asked, that it was a glitch and they would be repriced then I would have said, "Dang, I knew it!" and sucked it up but telling me (and many others on social media) that they were going to honor the pricing and then deleting those posts and taking back their word?  That is not good PR any way you slice it.

Your points totally complement mine..I think at first this was a flash sale of sorts and then too many people got wind of it and they were like wait a minute nope our profit margin is going to be too tight so they totally reneged on the deal.  Horrible PR but if they take it back it really isn't a huge issue it was worth the gamble but it is a total PR nightmare.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

 

I also had a back/forth for the first 15 mins on whether I should purchase or not. My wife drinks very little alcohol and we have plenty of wine in the cabin with the bottles brought on and all the bottles Royal sends to the cabin.

 

But with the bottle waters, coffees, non alcohol frozen drinks for the wife, soda, Bloody Mary's in the mornings, and my night caps after the diamond happy hours, I felt it was definitely worth it on the TransAtlantic.

 

‘We are in the same situation! We never buy any package - we drink very little, we can get free drinks in the suite’s lounge if we want them,  I don’t really drink soda although DH likes a couple of sodas each day. So we were also  hesitant to buy even at this price (since RCL will likely still profit on us at this level 😂).. But when a fellow cruiser emailed me about the price on a shared voyage in 2020, we decided to get it. And he actually did not assume it was a mistake but one of the more bizarre examples of rcl’s dynamic pricing!

Edited by 2Beeze
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Your points totally complement mine..I think at first this was a flash sale of sorts and then too many people got wind of it and they were like wait a minute nope our profit margin is going to be too tight so they totally reneged on the deal.  Horrible PR but if they take it back it really isn't a huge issue it was worth the gamble but it is a total PR nightmare.

 

I agree, if they cancel my package it will be too bad, so sad but I won't cry over it.  I will just wind up buying at another sale price.  But I do find it aggravating that they reneged after saying so many times that they would honor the mistake.  Don't say one thing and then do another.  Whatever though, I'll still enjoy my cruise with a G&T....or 4 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I go to the casino and gamble.  Sometimes, I break even.  I can put a quarter in a slot machine and get a $10 payout.  So the drink package glitch of 2019 is a gamble.  I put in $18 for a day of drinking.  I might win, and get the $55 a day package for $18.  Or I might loose and they credit back the $18.  So of course I dream of them keeping that price for those that got it.......but I will not cry over it, if they send me an "I'm sorry" letter.  I know it's most likely a mistake.  I booked it knowing it's a mistake.  It's nothing more than a gamble for me.  I have nothing to loose, and only free booze to gain.

That’s not accurate at all. You don’t book a Shore excursion for one price, thinking that it might change and you’ll lose out on it. No, these were purchased at an advertised price. That price should be honored. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Probably not combinable

yes you can get the discount on the ship.  I normally buy our pkg once on the ship as I get 30% off for being D+.  So unless the online price goes to at least 30% off, I always wait until we board to buy the package

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not the same thing. You agreed to a contract stipulation at time of booking. You don’t do that when you buy a bottle of Peanut Butter in a store that was priced wrong. 

The Contract King is back everyone!

 

For the last time, we all know what the cruise line is legally allowed to do. However, we are talking about what is the right thing to do for their customers. 

 

What they CAN do, and what they SHOULD do, are 2 different things here. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Clarea locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...